September 2012 Moms
Options

Random temper tantrums at bed

Has anyone's little started randomly throwing the most epic temper tantrums at bed? L woke up at 4ish this morning, so I went in and told her it wasn't time to get up yet and laid her back down. She then proceeded to stand up and start screaming 'no' and hitting me in the most ridiculous way I have ever seen her act. I assumed she must have had a nightmare so I pulled her into bed with us instead. She never sleeps with us - seriously, like 4 times since she was crib trained.

I just tried to put her down for a nap, albeit a little late, and she did the same thing. I actually had to pin her in her bed and hold her head to help her calm down. She was absolutely out of control. It took her 15 minutes to calm down. She is asleep now, but it took me promising to keep her door open as long as she stayed in bed.

Ideas? I have no idea why this is going on. She has never behaved like this at nap/bed time. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
Kid #2 - maybe???
Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
#11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh

Re: Random temper tantrums at bed

• Options
    We've been having some pretty epic going to bed tantrums for the past few weeks, she screams that she wants to keep playing. I think it might be a fear of missing out for us. The solution has been lots of warnings about what is going to happen and when and sticking strictly to the routine. If she starts hitting we tell her it hurts, stop reading, and leave the room. We try to keep the house quiet for the first 20min after she is in bed.

We seem to be making progress, but it has been slow. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I usually reward the good. So I tell them if they are calm and quiet, we can sing a song or read a story before sleep. Hopefully that prevents it.

If they tantrum I lay them on the floor next to the bed to calm them down and try to rub their head or back. I put them in bed when they are calm.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MelsaX said:
    If it's bedtime here for Andy, it's bedtime. Yell, scream, cry as much as you want mate, it's bedtime. I put him in his bed, and leave him. He will cry and scream, get off his bed, sometimes throw stuff in his room, but he gets no attention for it. It usually only lasts a few minutes. Once he goes quiet, I will go back in, put him back in his bed if he hasn't already gotten back in there, and explain to him again that it's time to go to sleep, pick up his stuff, an leave. Normally after a tantrum he is tired as hell, so just goes to sleep quickly. I think he's just putting up a fight to get more attention. He knows the routine, he gets plenty of warning, a big cuddle and kiss, we sing a song, but first sign of a tantrum, I'm out.
    This is how we sleep trained. She doesn't even bother screaming and crying at bedtime because she knows we aren't coming back in. This was not normal bedtime screaming though, normal screaming I am good with. It was like she was possessed. 

And tonight at bedtime, super easy. I told her it was bedtime, gave her a hug, and she laid right down. I guess we shall see if she wakes up in the middle of the night again. Maybe it was just an overtired reaction. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    Colby has been struggling going to bed lately, saying things like "don't leave me" "I need you mommy" etc, crying a lot, but I think a lot has to do with our daycare transition still

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have had some epic "let me out of here". Some awesome crib shaking. But we don't go back in. It has sucked for awhile for us.
                  image     image
  • Options
    Leo had two bad going to bed nights in a row last week (naps were at daycare). Not sure what was going on but it past. His hands were in his mouth a lot today so perhaps his last molar is popping in now.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"