Hawaii Babies

Migraines and this pregnancy!!

Hey ladies......long time no talk........

I have a question for those that perhaps suffer or did suffer through the pregnancy.  I was really hoping that my migraines that have plagued me since I was a child, would go away during this pregnancy.  I should have known better since they're not necessarily centered around my cycle.  But since I can't be on my strong daily medication (Topamax), they kicked back in and with a vengeance.  

Did anyone else suffer?  I think the part I HATE the most is my dr's office saying something like, "Have you tried some tylenol?"  UM......you know what, thanks for the wonderful advice.  I appreciate the slight concern but really, this isn't any average headache that the majority of people get.   Tylenol wouldn't even put a dent in a migraine or at least the ones that I get.  

What's a pregnant girl to do?  What I've been hearing is to basically just ride it out.  uhhhhh

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Migraines and this pregnancy!!

• Sorry to hear about your migraine! Have you tried acupunture? I have a friend with bad migraine and acupuncture seemed to help. Plus, it's drug -free!

• imageeacerna:

Sorry to hear about your migraine! Have you tried acupunture? I have a friend with bad migraine and acupuncture seemed to help. Plus, it's drug -free!

Yes I didn't get them, but a friend of mine who did said acupuncture was the only thing that helped. I'd give it a shot!

* the artist formerly known as redshoegirl *
    life in oz

• Loading the player...
  • I've always had problems with migraines, even before getting pregnant.  But, like you, I can't take the typical medicine now that I'm pregnant and the migraines have come back just about every day.  I had one recently where I had no relief for 48 hours so went to emergency OB doctor and they gave me reglan.  It does not help at all.  Had followup appointment with my regular OB and all she had to say was "Try to reduce your stress and get plenty of sleep and deal with them best you can."  Wasn't very helpful.  So I take the reglan, take the tylenol, lay in the dark, use cold cloths on my head... and suffer through, hoping for relief.  Unfortunately have also missed a lot of work.  I don't really have any advice on how to make it better, but thought there might be a tiny bit of comfort in that you are not alone, and others feel your pain too!

• I am in my 11th week and used to constantly get migraines and I was prescribed Imitrex. When I told my doctor I was pregnant ( she was the one who prescribed Imitrex) she immediately gave me a prescription for generic fioricet/codeine. It doesn't work like the imitrex but it makes them less painful. Just something to try and talk with your doctor about. Hope this helps everyone and if she tells me of anything stronger I will let you all know. 
  • I am going throught the same thing! I am praying they get better next trimester...I've been getting them for DAYS then break, then DAYS...I gave in and took my sutripitan after they get to the point of no sleep ,and puking.
  • Mine are awful too. My chiropractor is usually a great help for migraines- have you been to one to try to soothe the pain?
  • I soak my hands and feet in hot water with ice on the base of my skull when I feel one coming on. it helps a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"