January 2013 Moms
Options

Is this just a Milwaukee thing?

do any of you celebrate St. Nick on December 6th? The only people who know what I'm talking about are German-American (I'm not) or from Milwaukee (I am).

We do a little gift in our stockings on St. Nick each year. For example, DH is getting a Green Bay Packer ornament with his name on it, and DD is getting magnetic pony toys for the fridge.

Anyone else?
Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: Is this just a Milwaukee thing?

• Options
    I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a nice tradition.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    I'm from the opposite side of the state and while I have heard of it we don't celebrate it.  Although we aren't very German (and neither is my DH) so maybe that's why.  I think it's cute though. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sep5BrideSep5Bride member
    edited November 2014
    It's definitely regional. My husband's family celebrates it and mine doesn't. It's very common in the Fox Valley where my husband's family is from. Many people there are German or Dutch, though my family is very German and does not. Not sure how we're going to incorporate it into our traditions yet.

• Options
    My husband's very German family doesn't, but we're Eastern Orthodox and many families at our church celebrate it. Also not from Milwaukee. ;-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We don't celebrate it though we did throughout school and there are still a lot of families that do (I grew up in an area where everyone was PA Dutch and my family is Dutch and German). We wouldn't use stockings - we would do the wooden shoes like these: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=st.+nick+wooden+shoes&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=DD4E005A660A80DE6F6AE65818E8B4EF712AB246&selectedIndex=1.

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My family does it on December 5th.  We celebrate Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet (black Pete), not necessarily politically correct, it is a Dutch thing.  We set out wooden shoes with raw carrots for the horses and wake up to treats in the shoes.

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    I've heard of it. The only family I know who actually does it lives in Ohio.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    amnat84 said:

Lots of people in PA do! We never did but I had lots of my friends did (German heritage) and Julia's one "auntie" (my BFF) got her stuff last year. I love this tradition and want to start it but WTF can you fit into a toddler shoe???

We just use her stocking:). It's such a fun tradition!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"