Food Allergy
Options

Asthma?

DD1 was just diagnosed with asthma. She's 4 and a half. She's had a rescue inhaler since she was about 2 and a half. It used to be that she only needed it when she was sick, but for the last several months, she has needed it after running around or jumping repeatedly (like in a bounce house).

Our pedi just prescribed a Flovent inhaler to use everyday to help control her symptoms better. I'm kind of bummed DD1 needs to be on a daily steroid, but I want to make sure her asthma is under control, of course.

I know allergies and asthma often go together. Does anyone else have a LO with asthma too? If so, what meds do you use to control it?
someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
MSPI Moms Check-In Blog

Re: Asthma?

• Options
    My child has a peanut/egg allergy and recently outgrew a tree nut allergy. We've had respiratory issues for the past 2 years. They haven't diagnosed it as asthma yet. We have a plan and lots of meds at home. He takes a generic singular daily. Anytime he gets a cold he takes albuterol though a neb and QVAR inhaler. We also have an albuterol inhaler. If he gets really bad I have prednisone. Our pulmonary dr said that allergies the respiratory issues go hand in hand.
  • Options
    We are asthma, celiac and all nut allergy

He uses Flovent, singulair, rescue ventolin, neb albuterol and symbicort
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited November 2014
    And just FYI use caution if she ever has to go under anesthesia. We had tonsils and adnoids out last week and it was a disaster.

He is 4 btw
  • Options
    @Justabean3‌ Yikes! I'm sorry he had a rough time! Do you mind me asking what happened?
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    Well.. We gave him 3 treatments before for safety since they become lazy breathers with going under

Sure enough he started wheezing and they couldn't keep his oxygen above 80. So they have him a treatment. Then he had a post op bleed in recovery so he went back to the OR.

His uvula and face swelled so they gave him a different upper resp treatment. He kept dipping below 70 and we were in recovery 8 hrs
  • Options
    @Justabean3‌ Oh my goodness, how scary! I'm glad he is okay now. Thank you for the info. This asthma stuff is new to me, so that's good to know re: anesthesia. I don't anticipate any surgeries for DD1, but you never know what could happen in the future.
    c/p 4/1/11

MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"