Special Needs

A nit to pick

Maintaining clothes at your kids' schools... How many complete sets do they want?  I'm sick of the idiotic handling at my place.  It's a good place for DS1's therapy, but the notes I get, and losing stuff (i.e. not sending his cup home every day) -- it drives me NUTS.  They want SEVEN sets!  Hell no.  I will maintain 4 sets.  I get notes about sending replacement clothes (they tell me how many they want, not how many they have) and I don't believe these things.  They never make sense.  I've asked the BCBA to check on it for me (not herself of course, she asks someone to do it) and they've been confirmed to be wrong many times. As in he had plenty when they asked me to send more.  No, I'm not sending 3 more shirts when I certain that you should have 4 or 5 already.  And I left clothes in his backpack to restock this week and they don't take them, and then left me a note saying to send them!  Ugh!  Why is this so effing hard?!

If you saw my post about logistics and being late you know I'm in a swell mood tonight.  ;-)

Re: A nit to pick

• Yeah, I sent tons of undies during potty training, but now, 3 complete sets seems generous.  And I send replacements quickly.

• Ouch!  7 sets?! So basically you have to buy your kid 2 times as many clothes just so they can sit at school?

DS1's school requires 1 set extra, 2 during potty training.  And an extra blanket for emergencies that require being outside.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • I got an email back from his BCBA.  She thinks 2-3 should be enough for him (yes!) and is going to address the problem.  We usually have plenty of what I call "crap clothes" (at least shirts) because I get a lot of hand me downs, which is great, but I don't love them all.  The stuff I like the least goes to school for replacements. I end up buying a lot of pants because of DS1's uneven growth and short legs (he barely grew at all for 1.5 years and I had to buy tons of 24M pants).  Plus a lot of the hand me downs are button/zipper pants which drive me nuts for this age.  

She's going to address the problem but this won't be the end of it I'm sure.  Just so long as someone knows what's going on and that I'm not TRYING to be difficult and that notes about clothes will be ignored sometimes, if I think they're wrong.

I feel kind of bad complaining about these issues because I know the people actually writing the notes and taking the clothes get paid so little, and what they are doing (working with my child) is so important.  They're changing our lives in an amazing way, and here I am complaining about stupid clothes.  I'm conflicted.

• It does sound like a hassle. I had to keep up with 2 wardrobes outside the home.

For every set the preschool sent dirty I would send a clean set. It got to be a problem because they had a trash bag of extra clothes for DS. Mid year I had to go get it when it was a parent and student event.

The daycare was easier to keep stocked because I would see the cubby on Fridays.

I would try to leave 3 sets at the school, 3 sets at daycare and 1 set in the back pack. The one set was either used by the school or the daycare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It does sound like a hassle. I had to keep up with 2 wardrobes outside the home.

For every set the preschool sent dirty I would send a clean set. It got to be a problem because they had a trash bag of extra clothes for DS. Mid year I had to go get it when it was a parent and student event.
    Yeah, I keep up with stuff pretty well, too.  I TRIED to send 2 pants/undies back the day after he messed up 2 (very unusual for him to have accidents) but they didn't grab them!  Also, when I requested them to send everything back for the season change a few weeks ago, there were so many shirts, when I had not refilled lately even though they asked me to.  Does. not. add. up.  I don't get why it's so hard. 

The daycare was easier to keep stocked because I would see the cubby on Fridays.
    YES. It's so much easier for DS2. Everything is in his classroom. The place where DS1 goes is enormous. I don't even know where they keep his stuff, or honestly I would sneak in there and look and stock it myself, seriously. I already have to go to the fridge in the main building twice per week to get his feeding session pack (to refill) and get his leftover milk to bring home.

I would try to leave 3 sets at the school, 3 sets at daycare and 1 set in the back pack. The one set was either used by the school or the daycare.

• greyt00 said:
    It does sound like a hassle. I had to keep up with 2 wardrobes outside the home.

Yeah, I keep up with stuff pretty well, too.  I TRIED to send 2 pants/undies back the day after he messed up 2 (very unusual for him to have accidents) but they didn't grab them!  Also, when I requested them to send everything back for the season change a few weeks ago, there were so many shirts, when I had not refilled lately even though they asked me to.  Does. not. add. up.  I don't get why it's so hard. 

YES. It's so much easier for DS2. Everything is in his classroom. The place where DS1 goes is enormous. I don't even know where they keep his stuff, or honestly I would sneak in there and look and stock it myself, seriously. I already have to go to the fridge in the main building twice per week to get his feeding session pack (to refill) and get his leftover milk to bring home.

That would happen to me too!

I had to write in the daily report, text the teacher or call the teacher to take the extra clothes out of the back pack if they did not take the sets out of the back pack in the first place.

This has slowed down eventually when DS was potty trained. At this point, I can't remember if the school has any clothes.
  • DD's school requests 2 warm weather and 2 cold weather changes to be kept at school.
    When she had an accident a few weeks ago I just washed and returned that outfit. 
    So far it's been fine for us. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah I would wash a load of dirty and treated clothes mid week. The weekends were massive laundry days of 7-10 loads.
  •  
    DC2London said:
    7 full sets of clothing is practically an entire wardrobe.  If he had an accident, wouldn't most parents just wash the "extra" clothing and return them to school right away?  I mean really.  That is excessive.
    My DS isn't prone to accidents so I only keep one full set at school for him.
    I don't do laundry every day -- more like every other day.  Plus I line dry a lot of things so a night's wash isn't ready to pack the same night.  I would send whatever else I could spare immediately.  

Bottom line, everyone is saying 7 (or even 4+) seems way excessive,  Thank you for the validation everyone! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"