Special Needs

Is this part of the IEP process?

Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
edited November 2014 in Special Needs
I had a woman just call me, who claimed she was a social worker who works with the florida charter schools, and said she would like to come to my house to conduct a background history screening on DS.

Is this familiar protocol with anyone who has been through the IEP process?

If common, where did you meet? School conference room? Your home?
photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Is this part of the IEP process?

• We're in Virginia. There was no home visit. I had recent evals on him so they used those in conjunction with meeting us (me and DS since DH was deployed) in person at the school.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• ToastieSimonsToastieSimons member
    edited November 2014
    Yes.
    For DS1's IEP we met at the Board of Ed to discuss what would happen within the evaluation.  We had a PT and OT eval at a local school.  The SLP came to the house.  And then a social worker came to the house.  We talked about his diagnosis, history, early intervention, what we wanted out of his school experience, his behavior outside of the home and in the home, medications, doctors, etc.  

DS1 was placed by the district in a school for kids with special needs.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never had a home visit or a meeting with a social worker in relation to an IEP.
  • A social worker came as part of our EI intake, but we've never had one involved with the IEP process. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • typeset said:

A social worker came as part of our EI intake, but we've never had one involved with the IEP process. 

This for us as well.
  • I'm ready for the move, but DH is where I was a few weeks ago, to stay in the charter until this is settled (until we get an IEP)

I told him today that either we ride it out and cooperate with their procedures or we leave. I sent an email to the ESE coordinator to find out about who the lady is. It was just bizarre how the call was handled so late at night on a Sunday
    photo notebook.jpg 

• I never had any of the school professionals come to my home for any part of the IEP.

All they did was send all the paperwork home in DS's backpack for me to fill out. I had to send it back in DS's backpack.
  • Are you sure this isn't something being done just for the school?  My son isn't at a charter, but his school requires a home visit for every student (his did include the SPED coordinator).  That's not uncommon for charter schools in my district, but it's for every student.  They aren't singling out students with special needs.
  • fredalina said:

Have you been formally asked/told to leave the charter?

Fred, they don't outright say it but if you Google "counseling out in charter schools" that's the verbage we've received
    photo notebook.jpg 

• We're in NJ public school and had a home visit when we were entering the system (i.e., when DS aged out of Early Intervention at age 3).
  • Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited November 2014
    fredalina said:

I'm just trying to understand. Did they say something like he would benefit from a different classroom environment? If so, who said it (principal, psychologist, etc)? I was under the impression from previous conversations that they might "turf" him, which I took to mean ask or force him to leave. As that they had.

Well while they are sending me home daily behavioral charts focusing on some matters (inattentiveness, etc.) , they are also calling me for a few minor concerns (IE. DS pop kissed a classmate). The reports could be so much worse, but never have they been. I've never received a call to pick him up due to behavioral problems either. So they make their charts and we are quite cooperative, but we told the social worker (protocol) that we will meet her at the school.

I simply dont want that energy in our home.

We've had passive verbiage about DS' not getting the proper attention he needs at this school, blah blah blah. The words I've heard since I placed him in preschool. Not an outright "get the F out" but definatley a push back if you will. The ESE director is the one vocalizing this.

They will turf him, but only when we have an IEP in place. Until then, no accomidations will be provided. His teacher has a few though (sitting close to her and the board).
    photo notebook.jpg 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"