September 2014 Moms

LO is sick with a stomach virus and in the hospital - this sucks!!!

kristine618kristine618 member
edited November 2014 in September 2014 Moms
My poor LO came down with frequent stooling accompanied by bad diaper rash on Tuesday, which continued on Wednesday.  Otherwise, he was happy and doing well.  He went to daycare.  I kept him home on Thursday so I could give him baking soda baths to help with the diaper rash (otherwise his stool was not alarming us - he has always been a frequent pooper).  He threw up a couple of times on Thursday (spaced out in the day), which I figured was just part of a stomach thing he was going through.  His diaper rash was improving, and I thought he would be getting better soon.  Friday afternoon he threw up two feeds in a row, so I called the doctor's office and they told me to come in immediately, which I did.  The doctor assessed him and agreed that he probably has a stomach virus (which has been going around).  He looked alert and not totally terrible.  He sent us home with Zofran to help with the nausea and vomiting.  He did not give me any signs to look for in terms of worsening condition and when he would need further treatment.  Overnight he continued to throw up, and we kept feeding him frequently and assumed he was keeping some down and just needed to work out the virus.  Saturday I was getting really worried because he was looking very lethargic and more and more out of it and miserable..  I told DH we needed to call and bring him in again (and he was dismissive of me and thought nothing had changed since the night before, but I ignored him).  The nurse on call told us to take him to the ER, as he probably needed IV fluids.  I rushed him there, and the doctors said his white blood cell count was elevated and he was severely dehydrated (he had really taken a turn for the worse very quickly since the night before).  He was admitted and has been on fluids and antibiotics since then.  He is looking much better, but still isn't keeping much down.  We switched him off BM and formula (we were trying both here) and is now tolerating Pedialyte pretty well.  I'm pumping as much as I can, but my supply has been really low throughout this stress.  I feel so guilty now for starting him in daycare at 7 weeks.  DD1 went at 9 weeks (though a different place since we moved out of state since then) and never got seriously sick at any point.  I'm second guessing everything now.  I know there is no way of knowing when and where he picked this up, but I hate feeling like maybe it has to do with the facility not being sanitized well.  Or maybe we've been taking him out too much.  If there was anything I could have done to prevent this... It's heartbreaking seeing him here going through this and so sick.  This has been such a nightmare, and I hope none of you ever have to go through it.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LO is sick with a stomach virus and in the hospital - this sucks!!!

• Hang in there mama!!! You didn't do anything wrong! Unfortunately our September babies are having to go out into the world during flu/cold/virus season before they have strong immune systems :(. You did the right thing by trusting your judgement to keep calling the doc and take him to the ER. Hugs and don't beat yourself up. Hopefully he'll get better quickly!!
  • Hang in there! Thoughts and prayers and good vibes coming your way! I hope your LO feels better soon.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Praying your LO is getting better soon I work ER and when LOs get sick like this it breaks my heart I couldn't imagine my own LO going thru that! It's that time of year all the yucky stuff is going around . Cuddle your baby and I hope he's feeling better very soon!
  • Glad you listened to your mommys instinct and at least now you know your LO is getting the best possible care. I know it's an awful situation to be in but you did a good job. Hang in there.
  • Oh no! Great instincts momma! So scary but you got him help in time! Stay strong for your LO. And don't beat yourself up over the how and why. You are doing great! Thinking of you guys.
  • Poor little guy.  It isn't your fault.  I hope he gets better soon!
  • That's awful that your LO got so sick. Sending thoughts & prayers for a quick recovery. Don't blame yourself. You didn't knowingly do anything and LO could have gotten this anywhere.

• T&P for a speedy recovery! You did the right thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Don't beat yourself up, he honestly could've picked it up anywhere. It is just that time of year, unfortunately. Hopefully he gets better soon so you can stop stressing. Hang in there :)
  • Sending lots of prayers for a speedy recovery!

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• T&Ps for a speedy recovery!
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Lots of T&Ps! You didn't do anything wrong. I hope your LO gets well soon!
  • T&Ps he gets better soon.

• Not your fault. Not daycare's fault. It's not because you took him out too soon. It just is. Could have happened to anyone--in daycare or not, a baby that as rarely been out or out frequently. Honestly, 2 weeks difference in start date is not it either. Be glad you trusted your instincts and had him monitored. Hospitals with LO's suck. Hang in there. Hopefully LO will feel better soon and you will be home!
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am so sorry your little one is going through this.
  • T&P! Good for you keeping on top of his condition. We spent the weekend before last admitted because of a fever and it totally sucks. All I can suggest for the stress is, trust the doctors, and scoop that baby up for some cuddle time whenever he's off the monitors. Even with IV and stickers on, being able to hold him without worrying about the wires was a tiny bit of normal.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• jg1011 said:

Not your fault. Not daycare's fault. It's not because you took him out too soon. It just is. Could have happened to anyone--in daycare or not, a baby that as rarely been out or out frequently. Honestly, 2 weeks difference in start date is not it either. Be glad you trusted your instincts and had him monitored. Hospitals with LO's suck. Hang in there. Hopefully LO will feel better soon and you will be home!

All of this. This is not your fault & you are doing a great job! Shake off the guilt and give lo all the hugs

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"