Special Needs

thoughts?

Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
edited November 2014 in Special Needs
I have been given 4 days notice to supply 19kids in my sons class their individually wrapped snacks for all of next week, 5days. 95 snacks!

What are your thoughts? This is on the weekend of our daughters birthday when money is already quite tight.

I'm in shock how I would be able to accomplish this, I don't even have a membership to costco

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: thoughts?

• Do you have sam's club membership to sam's?

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/austin-cheese-crackers-with-cheddar-cheese-45-ct/163781.ip?navAction=

I got these for DS last week and they are the cheese with cheese crackers since I am assuming our school is peanut free.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow. That's a lot!! Assuming it has to be prepackaged/purchased/individually wrapped, and assuming you do not have a Sams/Costco membership, then I'd first look for any Halloween castoffs still laying around in clearance aisles (pretzels, popcorn, fruit snacks). Then I'd look at generic things from Aldi or Dollar Stores. We can't do any food at all given food allergies. Assuming you don't have peanut allergies to deal with:

Cheese sticks ($10?)

generic Fruit snacks ($2/box)

Chips/goldfish/etc if on sale

Generic granola bars ($2/box)

Little boxes of raisins (cheap at Target or dollar store)

• Loading the player...
  • I love the raisin idea. Would they accept clementines or apples? That's a lot to supply! Good luck!
  • Mini bags of pretzels 
     Packs of cheese crackers 
    Those containers of crackers with spreadable cheese (their are 5 of them for about $1 at walmart)
    Babybel cheese and mini bags of carrot sticks
    bags of apple slices and gogurt
    Bananas

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Love all of these ideas, thanks you!

I spoke with the teacher (charter) and she allowed us to delay this to the first week of December. Ironically in the upper right corner, it says "early notice". I can't imagine what a late notice would be :P

I could wrap up individual baggies of snacks, I'm just gonna drop off all 95 snacks on that Monday. No pinterest with this project!
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Clementines are a great idea. What about string cheese?
  • Wow, I have never heard of one parent being responsible for all kids' snacks. What is the reason behind it? Is it for some sort of a fundraiser?
  • -auntie- said:

hopanka said:

Wow, I have never heard of one parent being responsible for all kids' snacks. What is the reason behind it? Is it for some sort of a fundraiser?

It's pretty common practice in some places- especially in private schools and private preschools. The OP's kid attends a charter which seems to think they're a private school so this plays right into their wheelhouse.

DS's nursery school did this. Most of the moms were SAHs or had help in the house- snack was an event where moms openly competed. Kids were "person of the day" and got to bring something from home to share along with snack. I recall one of his friend's moms arranging to swap days with me so that she could bring her son's brand new little brother has his special something from home (he wanted to bring his corn snake and was very pissed) and Rice Krsipey treat snakes with little fruit leather tongues. They were cool- but she'd delivered a baby two days before. Crazy.

Indeed. Our charter can get a little nutty when it come to fundraising and extras, but it's all based on volunteering. There is no way anyone would demand that another person must do something. If you don't sign up, you're not obligated.
  • I don't mean to be obtuse, but why can't each parent send a snack with their child every day? I understand a group snack on a special occassion, such as a field trip or a birthday celebration...but on a regular basis?
  • Gotcha. I kinda like that I know what he's gonna eat by making it myself, but I understand it can be quite nice not having to do it daily. I guess it's such an automatic part of my day now, like brushing teeth, that I never think about that. I would not be ok with such a short notice OP was given, though. Glad she was able to postpone her snack duty
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"