October 2013 Moms
Options

whoa

So as most of you know, I'm staying with my grandma in Florida. We were just talking about how my grandpa was a POW for 14 months. It started because there is a commercial that keeps playing about PTSD and soldiers. She said she wished there were resources available like that when Ken (my grandpa) came home. He became an alcoholic. Holy shit. I'm so glad mental health aide has improved. I'm so sad because a lot of his issues could have been prevented/helped. He died because of alcohol.

Re: whoa

• Options
    He was a very bad alcoholic. My mom refuses to discuss it. He beat my memére when he drank. I can't blame him because POW for 14 months in WW11. he was in airforce and shot down. He went on to the Korean War and couldn't deal when be came back.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Exactly. I don't even know what to think,
    Jen. I am just sad. She seems fine but I think deep down she knows it could have been helped. They went to A A together but obviously the alcohol was the manifestation of the problem. So sad.

• Options
    So sorry about your grandpa. I'm also glad mental health aid has improved. My father in law was in the Vietnam War and he was pretty messed up when he came back. Can't even talk about anything that would remotely remind him/bring it up because he has seizure/panic/fainting attacks. I didn't really understand why he couldn't talk about it until I worked in the nursing home and became very close with one of my residents who also served in Veitnam. He told me things I didn't want to know and cried constantly, sometimes we even cried together. I asked my resident why he even went to war knowing what could happen (mind and sanity wise) he told me there was no choice, he was chosen and it was his duty to serve his country. He then proceeded to tell me how he became an alcoholic when he came home because that was the only way he was able to cope. I know I've really went off topic here so sorry, I just feel such sympathy and helplessness when it comes to veterans. Again I'm sorry about your grandpa, it's a shame but that's how the majority coped back then. It's too bad it has taken this long to improve resources for veterans as they should have been of top priority.
  • Options
    I do not think you are off topic @acethebase‌. My pops died 12 years ago. I know he was an alcoholic because my mom told me, but she did not tell me the extent of it. Unfortunately she won't talk to me about it but at the same time, I understand because he was an angry drunk. I agree with your resident-there was no choice. It is not inherently bad, but back in the day the soldiers were just thrown back into life after war. My grandpa was put to work on a factory when he got home.

• Options
    Love tit in agreement of things you say
  • Options
    Not to mention how the soldiers were treated when they got home. My dad was drafted, his younger brother never made it home. My father still struggles with PTSD, and enormous guilt. It truly affected his ability to father and has lead to our strained relationship. He gets help now, but he so needed it sooner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"