June 2015 Moms
Options

Sharing the news?! What's your timeline?

Hi there,

Congrats everyone!

I am a FTM and was just curious when most of you plan (or have already) on sharing the exciting news with ..

1) your parents/siblings
2) your friends
3) your workplace

*answer in weeks, if you can :)

Re: Sharing the news?! What's your timeline?

• Options
    1- parebts/siblings: right away
    2- close friends: after first US at 8 weeks
    3- my kids: after 12 week scan this wed
    4- everyone else (except work): thanksgiving
    5- work: when I start to show
    Lucky Mommy to:
    Zoë Elizabeth|11.19.2007 & Finnegan Charles|05.14.2010

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    Everyone already knows. I told after the first ultrasound around 7 weeks. I travel a lot at work so it was obvious.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We'll be sharing with our families right around the 11 week mark. We'll be home for Thanksgiving this year, and wanted to tell everyone in person. We live halfway across the country from everyone, so although we won't quite be out if the first tri- our OB said to go ahead and do it.

We'll wait until Christmastime- when I am around 15 weeks to announce to our friends. We're doing it with our Christmas cards :)

We'll announce to our work places in the new year- I'll be right at 16 weeks then, and I would imagine I'll be showing quite a bit at that point, so we won't be able to keep it a secret any longer.

I am so excited to get to tell everyone- I feel like I am going to bust at the seams trying to keep it a secret much longer! Good luck to everyone still trying to keep it a secret- it's hard!!
  • Options
    Close friends- immediately
    Immediate family- 10 weeks
    Extended family- 12/13 weeks
    Internet- 13 Weeks

• Options
    We told pretty much everyone after my ultrasound. My work is a very tight group and they all were aware of our ttc troubles. So I figured if anything happened they would be a support. @Budders12‌ I am so happy to have seen your update on another thread! Congratulations!
    TTC since 12/11
    BFP: 10/15/14 (9dpiui) with Wondfo and FRER / EDD 6/29/14!!!
    Beta #1 = 22  (9dpiui) / Beta #2 = 114 (14dpiui)/ Beta #3=1994 (21dpiui)
    J15 Siggy Contest January- Pintrest Fails

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    lw123456lw123456 member
    edited November 2014
    Family and close friends-right away
    Other friends-plan to wait until 13 weeks
    Work-plan to wait until the New Year! Will be just over 16 weeks by then.

• Options
    1) your parents/siblings- week when we found out (4 weeks)
    2) your friends- depends on how close our relationship is, some right away, some 5 weeks, 6 weeks, 7 weeks, very gradually
    3) your workplace - 5 weeks

Mrs. Morrison

Married 9/26/14

EDD 6/26/15 

image Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    We're still trying to decide, I think both of us are sort of enjoying being the only ones who know right now. Our elective ultrasound threw a wrench in our plan when I thought I was 8w3d yesterday and the tech told me I was closer to six weeks.

Anyway, I think we're waiting until Thanksgiving to tell everyone.
    TTC #1 June 2014
    BFP-7/15/14, CP-7/27/14

BFP-10/25/14, EDD-6/23/15 7/6/15
  • Options
    1. Family and close Friends 15 weeks....that will be Christmas.

2. Work...as close to 20 weeks as possible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Close friends we told right away.

I am slowly letting on to family as the time feels right. I don't really follow a timeline, I just do what feels right when I feel it's right!

We will announce via social media at 12 weeks. I think that's unpopular now, but that's what we want to do and feel comfortable with :)

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I told two close friends and another small forum I belong to (where there's a section for those TTC) right after I found out, at around 4.5 weeks. My boss guessed at 5 weeks. We told our parents and a few more close friends after the ultrasound at 8 weeks showed that everything looked good, and oh, by the way, it's twins. When we see our families at Thanksgiving, we'll tell the people there (at around 11 weeks), and we'll make it "public" after the next ultrasound, which is at 12 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I told one close friend at 5 week.  No one else except my massage therapist yet.
    Family I see over Thanksgiving I will tell at 10 weeks
    I am thinking of announcing on FB so the rest of family and friends on New Year' so maybe 15 weeks
    Work I won't say anything until at least February but I won't deny either
  • Options
    I told my parents, his parents, our siblings, and a *few* close friends right away at 5 weeks.

I'm in an interesting situation where I work for friends who are practically family... So we're going to tell my bosses/god parents at Thanksgiving... I wanted it to be a FAMILY thing, not a WORK thing... Because I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do about after Baby is born. I didn't want to raise too many questions right off the bat.

After that, I suppose I'll make up some Facebook announcement at 12, 13, 14 weeks... I don't know. At that point, everyone I care to know will already know, so... I don't really care. I'd only do that because I feel like having a secret that I can't talk about is weighing on me, but only because I know I can't talk about it. It's not that I WANT them to know, I just don't want them to not know anymore.
    BabyFetus Ticker

June 2015 January Signature Challenge: Pinterest Fails
  • Options
    Immediate family- we told at 6 weeks because it was Canadian Thanksgiving and everyone was together. (Oddly enough told them at 6 weeks last time because it was Chrismtas haha)

Friends- my BFF knew within a few days of me testing, she was the first person I told. My other two best friends found out around 9 weeks, just the next time I could get together with each of them.

Work- I'm a SAHM but H will tell his sometime after my appt on Wednesday (11 weeks) if all goes well, and I'll tell my extended family. Officially 'making it public' :) Oh wait, he did tell his other two bosses because he was booking time off for appts, and they are super close and all have babies too. But he'll make it known to the rest of the staff whenever their next big meeting is I'm sure.

• Options
    We told our parents and immediate families (our siblings) right away, like before I was even 4w. 

I told some friends right away too (like, a good IRL friend and on my msg boards)

Work: Im a sahm. For my first 2 kids I told work after I hit the 2nd tri. My boss was my dad so he knew right away haha. DH told a few people because he had to put in vaca for next yr. 

Kids: I was going to wait till after first u/s at least but DH told DS1 pretty early on. He's been very ambivalent about it haha. He was excited at first and wanted to know if he would meet the baby 'tomawrer?' and when we said no, june he was like, ok well tell me again when i need to know. He is 3.5 now and doesn't really get that this is a new person he doesn't know yet, not other babies we know. 

I planned to wait until at least 1st u/s to share at the gym. I am hoping to hide it a little longer still, Ill wait to tell there until I have to (gym clothes are tougher to hide in) or till I make it public whichever comes first. 

Im posting to FB and making it public public on tg. Ill be just about 12w. A little earlier than Id normally share (usually I wait till I hit the 2nd tri) but its close enough and a nice easy time to share. 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    Had to tell everyone at work as soon as I got a positive test at home (4 weeks) because I work in a pesticide plant. Slowly told family and close friends over the next 3 weeks, fully public after 8 week ultrasound.

I probably would have waited longer if a bunch of work acquaintances didn't have to know right away for safety reasons.
    CW + KJ: 8.10.2013
    1st Baby W Due: 6.25.2015
    BabyFruit Ticker

photo e2a5dc19-be96-4d99-b2d6-da7922f6c601_zps08cbe34a.jpg photo 319d419c-5eb1-4d11-a435-225e0a3417f3_zps1ea6c8b4.jpg
  • Options
    jcprnjcprn member
    edited November 2014
    1. My parents: the day we found out after IVF (4 weeks)
    2. Coworkers and manager: the next day (I can't give chemo at work so they had to know immediately)
    3. My sisters: during week 4 when I saw them in person
    4. DH's parents: 9 weeks
    5. My grandparents (only): at the very end of Thanksgiving (12 weeks)
    6. Everyone else: either the first or second week in December via Christmas card announcement (13 or 14 weeks)
  • Options

Our parents and siblings right away!

Close Friends, after 1st US @ 6 1/2 weeks

The rest of the family and my co-workers will find out after the next US next week when I'll be about 10 1/2 weeks

I'm not fretting over telling people too early. It's not going to jinx you. What will happen will happen.  It's our little babies lives and they deserve to be recognized and celebrated!

Married 12/18/2010   BFP#1 4/1/14   MC 5/6/14   D&C 5/13/14  BFP#2 10/5/14

BabyFetus Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I told a few close friends after the 8 week ultrasound.

We're telling our families at Christmas which is around 14 weeks.

We'll tell other friends after Christmas.

I'll probably tell work in early January at 16-17 weeks.
  • Options
    We told my siblings immediately.
    We are telling my parents at 13 weeks
    Friends and the rest of family will find out via Christmas card around 14-15 weeks
    Im a SAHM so no work to notify
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be 9 weeks Monday and we had our first appointment Thursday and saw the heartbeat! I was planning on waiting to tell people at Thanksgiving because I wanted to get DD a shirt, but DH wants to tell his family this weekend. So, we will tell them at 9 weeks, my family at 11 weeks and I will probably tell my boss next week so we can post on facebook over Thanksgiving. Last pregnancy we waited until week 13.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Options
    We each told one friend. We were going to tell at thanksgiving which would be 12 weeks. But now we think we will wait until after our scan results come back at 14 weeks. I want to tell everyone!! This is the hardest secret ever!! I can't wait to hear how it goes for everyone!!
  • Options
    1) your parents/siblings: 6 Weeks
    2) your friends: At 10 Weeks we started telling friends when we saw them in person, and continue to do so.
    3) your workplace: At 12 Weeks (next Thursday after my US Appt), I will tell work. I'm most nervous about this one!
    ***First-time Mom in New York City | Married 8.16.13 | Expected Due Date 5.29.15***

• Options
    1. parents/siblings/close friends: right away, like same day I took the test
    2. workplace: shortly after since if I had a m/c I would want them to know since I'd take a few classes off and strong symptoms affect my ability to do my job at the same level.
    3. friends: as I see them
    4. everyone else: after seeing/hearing the heartbeat
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Right now only DH and my best friend knows.....

1) your parents/siblings...we are hoping over the holidays after my first ultrasound Dec 1
    2) your friends...bestie knows everyone else will probably be as it comes up
    3) your workplace....not too far after family as Some of DH family works where I do...
  • Options
    Close friends & in-laws - immediately (4 weeks)

My parents, extended family - Thanksgiving (11 weeks)

World via Facebook - Dec 7 (12 weeks)
  • Options
    Everyone- Christmas Day :(
    It's kiiiilliinnggg me to wait. But, we live out of state and we want to share the news in person. Oh, and I'll be 15 weeks.
  • Options
    We told family, close friends and work immediately within a day or so of getting positive tests and I was about 4 weeks then. Waited until first ultrasound at about 8 weeks when we saw heartbeat to officially announce to everyone. We discussed waiting but since this is our first and I will be 35 and hubs will be 39 when our baby is born, we wanted all the positive thoughts and prayers we could get!! Plus, our mind set was "we are pregnant today, thankful today and happy to day and will rejoice today"! Not for everyone, but that's how we handled it. Best of luck deciding how to share the great news!!!
  • Options
    Parents/siblings- we told right away at 5 weeks
    Close friends/extended family-we told after our 10 week scan
    Social media- we told this past weekend at 12 weeks
  • Options
    We found out a little before 5w, but told our parents at 5w exactly. I was supposed to go on a girls weekend getaway with my best friend at about 7w, so my husband (who's close friends with my bestie) and I FaceTime'd her to tell her "in person". We also told my siblings at the same time. We told DS pretty soon too, he'll be 10 and, beyond noticing Mom was sick, exhausted, and extra spacey, we're very close. He's totally psyched and very sensitive to how I feel.

We waited til we got the first u/s to tell others, but didn't wait til the 12w mark. We tried to tell as many of our friends in person as possible as we saw them, then announced on Facebook at 10w.

I don't really think there should be a set timeline, its a personal philosophy/choice, I think! I can totally understand why many people choose to wait. For us, between the pre-planned trip, where my bestie def would have figured it out, plus me being so so so sick, it's been impossible for me to keep secret.

• Options
    paintdadantapaintdadanta member
    edited November 2014
    Family: 11 weeks (Thanksgiving) but originally we wanted to wait til 12.

Close friends: sometime after our 12 week appointment 

Workplace: most likely not until I start showing or am unable to do certain things as I currently have a student whom I am teaching barrel racing (horseback riding) as well as several service dogs in training.

Social media: never - if someone else lets it slip, oh well but after struggling with multiple fb announcements surrounding our first loss I promised myself never to do the same to someone else.

Life is a balance of holding on and letting go.

BFP #1 05/19/14, EDD 01/19/15, MMC 06/12/14 

BFP #2 10/10/14, EDD 06/19/15

• Options
    Told my parents and close friends immediately. Told family after we had our fist Dr appt. We won't make it public until after 24 weeks. We lost our twin sons when I was 19 weeks and announced it to everyone at 15 weeks when we were "in the clear" so we are waiting longer this time
  • Options
    Our parents and local siblings found out after my blood test, around 7 weeks. We will tell my other siblings at Thanksgiving, and then the rest of the world around Christmas.
  • Options
    Parents & siblings- 6 weeks
    Very close friends-8-9 weeks
    Family- 12 weeks
    Work-12 weeks
    Other friends- as I see them after 12 weeks
  • Options
    Family- in-laws we told at 4 weeks because they started talking about vacation next summer, my parents&sister - around 6 weeks, brother - will tell at Thanksgiving so we can do it in person will be 10 weeks
    Friends - between 6 and 9 weeks depending
    Work - will wait until into second trimester which is near Christmas, might wait until new year
    Everyone (Facebook)-Christmas card announcement is planned will be 14 weeks
  • Options
    1) your parents/siblings - my sister knew the day I got a positive test. She's my BFF and was aware of our TTC struggles. Plus, I knew she would be there no matter what happened. We didn't tell my Mom until about 7 weeks (on Halloween) and his Mom we just told last week cause she was in the hospital (it's not serious but we wanted to give her some good news). FIL still doesn't know, but H isn't that close with him. My BIL knows, and we are waiting until Thanksgiving to tell my other BIL and SIL since they will be visiting. 
    2) your friends - my closest friends know, and I will tell anyone that I don't want to find out from Facebook around Thanksgiving / first week of December.
    3) your workplace - I don't work, and H's boss already knows because of the frequent appointments. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Family - at Christmas, the plan is to add "and baby" to all of our gift tags and cards and wait to see if anyone notices. DH's twin sister will, she literally reads all of the cards out loud to the kids so she'll be all over it. My parents might not though.

Friends - we've already told our closest friends (DH bestie and mine lol) and will tell the rest via New Years cards, instead Christmas cards so family still finds out first.

Work - Sometime this week if my bosses Trial is put over to the next sittings, otherwise it will be the first or second week of December after the Trial is over. I don't want to give her one more thing to think about right now!
  • Options
    MurLindzz said:
    Hi there, Congrats everyone! I am a FTM and was just curious when most of you plan (or have already) on sharing the exciting news with .. 1) your parents/siblings 2) your friends 3) your workplace *answer in weeks, if you can :)

1) at 7 weeks -FIL was going on vacation and if we told my MIL and my parents and then waited 2 weeks for him to get back we wouldnt hear the end of it. Also told siblings then. 
    2)This past weekend 11 weeks- told super close friends via phone calls or in person if we could. sent an email out to the remaining close friends that we would want to know before it goes public.
    3) Last week 10.5 weeks. I had just gotten back from vacation and Hubby surprised me with a trip for valentines day so I had to ask for the 2 days off. Just figured it would be fine to tell them then as well. meeting with HR today 11 weeks to go over Maternity leave.
    4) Everyone else- Tomorrow 11 w 3 days. I know its not traditional to tell before 12 weeks but I have had a very healthy pregnancy and when We had our 8 week scan we not only saw the heart beat but we heard it as well. So I feel very confident telling people this early. 

Married 11/12/2011
    EDD 06/07/2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1) your parents/siblings- our parents and my sister pretty much as soon as we could. the rest of our siblings we've been telling the past 2 weeks (starting around the 8 week mark) with just 1 of my brothers left to tell because we haven't seen him
    2) your friends- I've told 2 of my best friends and will tell a couple more around 12 weeks and then we're going to send out a Christmas card that doubles as an announcement
    3) your workplace- already told my boss, not sure when I'll tell my co-workers

• Options
    I told my parents and siblings and in-laws within the first week or two of finding out. And my best friends know as well... Everyone else (extended family) we're thinking of telling at Thanksgiving and then we may put it on Facebook for the general public next month, once we have time to tell everyone else we want to tell in person. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"