Special Needs

WDYT: Appropriate or Inappropriate? (re: therapy providers)

DS1 and DS2 go for private therapy at a center.  It's traditional PT.  

Today I took DS2 (2.5) for his session.  It's only the PT and a helper.  Today the helper was an OT, just because of the time.  He only received PT for 30 minutes.

Almost the entire time the therapists talked among themselves.  They discussed buying/selling houses, where they want to live, what they're doing this weekend, parties, weddings, etc.  DS2 was fussing at some point and they continued to just talk to themselves.  Occasionally the PT would say something to DS2 about what to do, but for the most part they just talked above him.  He's nonverbal and doesn't follow commands so I get that it's hard to "converse" with him, but it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

I just was getting really annoyed during the session.  I didn't say anything because we see them twice a week and it's been getting progressively worse.  Am I in the wrong?  Am I expecting too much?

Is this typical?
To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew

Re: WDYT: Appropriate or Inappropriate? (re: therapy providers)

• I'd be angry. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • I have had the same experience. I switched therapy places. At the new place I found that one lady was a socializer so I just made appointments with someone else.

Is switching to another PT place an option for you? Or maybe scheduling at a different time? I changed DD's therapy to be when their is no one else there. Also maybe talk with a manager about what you expect out of his therapy. But I would be pissed if that kept happening.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd be pissed. She is being paid to focus on your child during the session, not discuss weekend plans.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I'd be pissed, too. I had to switch one of DS's speech therapist for a similar reason. I felt like DS was being neglected when he was actually trying to participate with her, and I was scared it would cause him to regress more.
    DS 10/2012
  • Definitely not okay. DD1 used to do sessions with other kids sometimes, so there would be 3 kids and 3 therapists, and I never heard them talking about personal stuff. Each therapist stayed focussed on her client.
  • Thanks ladies!

Unfortunately, she is the only PT at this center and believe it or not, DS2 was the only kid in the entire place.  It's a small facility so saying something would be heard by everybody.  

We paid our deductible and our copays already so we'll probably continue through the end of the year and then move on.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • That is not ok.  Personal conversations between therapists should be held between clients, on breaks, lunch breaks, before/after work, etc.  DURING a session, the therapist should be engaging the client and if necessary the parent.  I'm pretty sure an adult can hold off a personal conversation with a co-worker for 30+min.  It wasn't an emergency.  I'd be pissed and if things have been getting progressively worse, maybe speak with her about it and/or look into moving to a different place for therapy.
  • Thanks ladies!

Unfortunately, she is the only PT at this center and believe it or not, DS2 was the only kid in the entire place.  It's a small facility so saying something would be heard by everybody.  

We paid our deductible and our copays already so we'll probably continue through the end of the year and then move on.

Do you feel comfortable speaking with the PT about it? Keep it relaxed and just say you would like to see them engage your son more.
  • I would discuss it with the office manager
    The office manager was sitting right there!  Its like one big room, and the office manager sits right at the window doing all the appts and paperwork.  She is occasionally the one who instigates it.  If she had a question she'll start talking to the PT.

It's very common for the PT to be sitting there holding a toy with DS2 in front of her (or DS1) and her completely engrossed in a conversation with the office manager about another child!
  • I would say something. That's just not professional (and really a sign of confidentially issues if they are talking about other children in front of you and your kid). If you otherwise like them I would try to keep it "light" and conversational, but its really not cool. They should be engaging your child whether he can respond verbally or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"