Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Getting rid of the night feed?

Hi All!

DS is 4 months and currently waking around 2am to eat a 6 oz bottle. He goes down around 8pm, then sleeps until 7am after 2am feed. We went for his 4

month check up and the doctor told me to wean him off slowly, take him down an ounce a night until its a half ounce. Then theoretically he will sleep 12 hours

and eat more during the day to compensate for calories.

We are down to 4 oz right now. He gets a little fussy wanting more for a few minutes and then usually calms down and plays in his crib until he falls asleep.

Have any of you started to do this or already accomplished it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Getting rid of the night feed?

• Options
    Bueller?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm still trying to get from 2 night bottles to 1. (I've got a chunky monkey) Last night was the first time we got it to work. LO already only drinks a few ounces from those bottles. I've tried giving him more during the day in hopes he won't want/need during the night, but we're not there yet. I'm not trying to force it too much yet.

Cutting an oz a night seems pretty quick to me. I'd recommend giving him at least a few days before cutting it again. We did this process w/DS#1 by cutting an oz a week and it worked pretty well, but he was 6mo I think. 

LO goes down at 7 and wakes at 12 & 4 for a bottle and then is up for the day between 5/5:30. Between now & 6 mo I'm trying to get him over the 4:00 bottle. I'm giving him the 12:00 bottle & trying to get him over the 4:00 bottle with a binkie. If he continues to wake I just give him the bottle. Once I can get down to one bottle a night I'll start dropping an ounce every week or two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have read stuff and there is just so much information. It's hard to tell what's right. I haven't dropped from 4 ounces because I don't feel right about it. She is a younger Pediatrician but she also told me don't rock him to sleep and ignore him when he cries. Being a FTM is so daunting. Thank you for your reponses.
    It's been a couple days since I wrote my OP.
    He seems to wake up more now than before. So this weaning thing does not work and no way am I not going to rock him to sleep.
    Side eyed her on the CIO comment. Blehhh I think I'm going to find someone new.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Personally, I love the MTTN feeding.  I work full time and don't get to feed her during the day (hubby does last bottle of the night) so I love getting up with her.  It is a very special time and I feel that she will be needing this MTTN feed for awhile just based on her eating habits.  I feel that when she is ready she will start eating more during the day to compensate for the MTTN feed but for now she needs it :-)  Do what feels right to you and not anyone else!
  • Options

No. Your child is hungry. Feed him. Also, weaning down ounces does NOT mean your child will magically STTN for 12 hours. He's 4 months old for crying out loud! At 4 months old, your child will still be eating 8-10 times a day. Oh, and 4mo is much too young to sleep train as well.

Also, get a pediatrician that isn't so stuck in the 1970s. And read an infant development book, too.

mama2ez said:

Hi All!

DS is 4 months and currently waking around 2am to eat a 6 oz bottle. He goes down around 8pm, then sleeps until 7am after 2am feed. We went for his 4

month check up and the doctor told me to wean him off slowly, take him down an ounce a night until its a half ounce. Then theoretically he will sleep 12 hours

and eat more during the day to compensate for calories.

We are down to 4 oz right now. He gets a little fussy wanting more for a few minutes and then usually calms down and plays in his crib until he falls asleep.

Have any of you started to do this or already accomplished it?

Agree. Depriving your kid of food is jacked & will probably make him more ready to wake

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

mama2ez said:

I have read stuff and there is just so much information. It's hard to tell what's right. I haven't dropped from 4 ounces because I don't feel right about it. She is a younger Pediatrician but she also told me don't rock him to sleep and ignore him when he cries. Being a FTM is so daunting. Thank you for your reponses.
    It's been a couple days since I wrote my OP.
    He seems to wake up more now than before. So this weaning thing does not work and no way am I not going to rock him to sleep.
    Side eyed her on the CIO comment. Blehhh I think I'm going to find someone new.

Ignore that pedi. Do what works for your kid. Period. My son didn't stop waking for a MOTN bottle until 7 months. Your LO will outgrow that when he's ready.

Also, if I had a nickel for everyone who told me not to rock my kid at night is be a rich woman. I never listened to that shit. Do what you feel is best and try not to research this too much.
    Agree x 1000

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I was able to move my LO's 4am feeding by feeding her at 11pm. This was only, though, when she started sttn every now and then. I figured she was ready, and was moving her feeding vs eliminating it. Maybe try a dream feed around 11 or 10?

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"