December 2013 Moms

Discipline

My LO will be 11 months old next week and I only recently started lightly spanking her when she gets into something she shouldn't. She has started to pull hair and pinch when she is fussing and mad. It's usually when I try to put her down for a nap or give her medicine she doesn't like. I mentioned that I spanj her to my MIL whom my husband and I live with. She said babies are too young at this age to be doing anything like that on purpose, but I disagree. She thought I shouldn't spank my LO until she is older. I don't hit her hard. It's more of a firm tap. I wanted to see what you all use for discipline and if you think 11 months old is you young to spank.

Re: Discipline

• This is disturbing. Spanking is NEVER okay....and incredibly wrong at 11 months when a baby cannot even comprehend discipline of any kind. Please stop now.
    Baby Girl Cbowl born 12/2013.   Love love love.

• Loading the player...
  • I REALLY hope this is MUD. What a fucking awesome way to teach your child right and wrong.

• I really hope this is MUD, but to answer seriously... whether someone is against or not against spanking in general when it comes to child discipline methods... I think it is safe to say that both sides of the topic would agree that 11 months old is FAR too young to be spanking a child.  Your LO is 11 months old, she has NO IDEA how to handle any emotions she is feeling or even what they are. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop!

I think I may be sick now at this thought. :(

My 2 December boys

• juliagulia38juliagulia38 member
    edited November 2014
    Well it's nice to see some regs here now.

But seriously.. Don't spank an 11 month old. How I "discipline" LO now is saying no and redirecting.
  • No it's not okay to spank your 11 month old. It's ridiculous. Stop spanking your baby and start redirecting. She will only learn that mommy hits and that it's okay to hit too.

Displaying photo.JPGDisplaying photo.JPG
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In case you are serious I will give you an honest answer. 11 month old babies do not understand. you can say no but they are too young to discipline. redirection and distraction are your tools for this age. Luckily with those super short attention spans you can usually get them to be distracted. 

I do suggest like others mentioned reading a book on parenting tools/tricks. I personally do not believe in spanking. I was spanked, it just taught me to fear my dad. You need to learn what you can expect behaviour wise at each age and how to handle it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This will end badly. Just so ya know. And I really hope this is MUD.
  • mcncheese said:
    This has to be sn AE trying to bring is back out.
    That's what I was thinking.  Kind of like the drive-by last night of "nothercules" on the UO thread telling everyone that they're lame.  Although that seemed to go by unnoticed.  But it is nice to "see" everyone today!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • And FTR hell no is it okay to spank your 11 month old.
  • You spank your baby then put her down for a nap? How lovely. Some people use books or soft music but whatever....

• This makes me sad to read. I agree with all the other ladies. Please dont spank or swat or lightly tap your baby. Read a few books. Use redirection and distraction as stated. Hitting is never the answer in any situation and hitting a baby is just low. Maybe you can take a parenting class? Ill pray for your LO.
  • A firm "no" and redirection is age appropriate for an 11 month old.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• If this was real, I hope you clearly understand how WRONG this is.
    "NO" will suffice just fine. use your words and your tone. Please stop hitting your poor baby!!
  • redirection is better do not do that. It is portrayed as ghetto trashy stupid every name in the book. Don't break your trust with your child ... White noise helps for sleep lullabies ..the medicine? U have to be firm but never spank. The baby has been alive for less then a year all to be introduced with spanking ...I mean would u spank a puppy or a kitten????? Animal cruelty is what that is so steer from ever being called a child abuser cuz deep down u have good in u but that goodness will be gone when u get comfortable spanking n hitting
  • EatsRitz said:

The text speak. The grammar. I can't.

And she just joined this morning...to post that hot mess? Oh girl no.

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• I'm obviously trying to bait someone/anyone into coming back to this post to tell us how MEAN we are! I rally wanted it to be the OP tho. :(

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"