Update on me... — The Bump
Infertility Veterans

Update on me...

Last week I was so hopeful, Saturday went to shit. My embryo did not look good at all, an early blastocyst, graded a C. My RE suggested we watch it overnight to see if it progressed, unfortunately it didn't.  My WTF appointment went well. We really didn't discussed what went wrong. Frankly don’t care what went wrong, because it will not change my decision to move away from doing a cycle using out OE or OS. We discussed what our best chance of success would be. She was very clear that she is concerned for a shared DE cycle because we only get half the eggs even with the use of donor sperm that will decrease our change for success, but we would have a slightly better chance than donor embryo. She gave us a 65% chance of success for donor embryo with the embryos they have set aside for us as they were created from donor eggs, great quality, and frozen via verification. She actually thinks that traditional Donor egg cycle using donor sperm will give us the greatest changes for success, 75%. I explained that the cost for a traditional donor egg cycle using donor sperm is our biggest obstacle for this route. My RE proposed a discounted cycle for a traditional DE cycle using donor sperm since I am a returning patient. This is why I like this clinic. They are incredibly generous and want us to have the success as much as we want it for ourselves.

DH and I had a discussion our options last night about our plans moving forward. He likes the idea of Donor Embryos, for a few reasons, #1 cost, #2 the embryos are already blastocysts so we do not have to worry about the possibility of poor quality embryos. I’m leaning toward DE/DS, because I cannot bear the thought of another failed cycle, and that 10% difference in success, gives me some comfort. I’m not concerned about getting poor quality embryos if both DE and DS are proven donors. We have a lot to think about and more discussion to get on the same page.
::: Married June 2003:::
TTC #1 since: Aug. 2008
Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
DH: 38, Balanced translocation 5&10, unexplained MFI, normal SA and SCSA
Tx History: IUI 1&2= BFN
IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
IVF# 2: cancelled d/t no response
IVF# 3= 1 egg retrieved=immature/not viable
IVF# 4= c/p
***CCRM ODWU***
Found DHs BT and Me-decreased blood flow to uterus
Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
***New RE***
DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 
IVF# 6: (OE/DS) cancelled
IVF# 7: (OE/DS) 1R, 1M, 1F, arrested day 5
Plan-DE IVF# 2 (cycle #8): DE/DS in May 2015

http://icanhazbabyz.blogspot.com/
imageimage image 

Re: Update on me...

  • Sounds like you have a lot of options to discuss, I'm glad you are ready to mentally move forward. I hope no matter what you decide your odds end up being 100%. Of course we'll be cheering you on the whole time!

     


    imageimageimageimage

     
     

    *******siggy/ticker warning***** 

     Me(31). DH (31)

    DH SA normal count and motility, 1% morphology
    Me .72 AMH, Fragile X premutation carrier
    IVF #1 (6/12/13) BFN

    IVF #2 (8/16/13) BFN

    FET 10/4/13 Chemical

    IVF #3 MC 5 weeks 5 days

    IVF #4 DE 11/7 BFP, edd 7/28/15

    All Welcome

    BabyFruit Ticker

    mm29
  • Sounds like you have some great options! It's so nice to hear your clinic is willing to work with you on price. I wish you success in whichever route you choose.

    TTC#1 since April 2011
    IVF#1 July 2012 5R, 3 made it to blast, sET c/p
    FET#1 Aug 2012 2 blasts transferred BFN
    IVF#2 Oct 2012
    16R/6M/6F/2-8 cell grade 1 transfer
    Beta 1-237.9, Beta 2-566, Beta 3-8657
    US 6w3d shows one baby w/ HB 115
    US 7w1d no more heartbeat/ D&C 11/30/12 normal karyotype
    IVF#3 Mar 2013
    6R/4M/4F 1 compacting and 2-8 cell transfer
    ectopic pg MTX given 3 month break from TTC

    IVF#4 Sept 2013--BFN
    IVF#5-7 Apr 2014, Jun 2014 and Aug 2014 banking embryos for CCS testing. Praying for normals! Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image

    http://i61.tinypic.com/34zll06
  • Loading the player...
  • How many donor embryos are there @mm29? If I recall it was 2? It sucks that finances are such an obstacle. :( I'm sorry. It sounds like without the financial aspect your decision would be made to proceed with DE and DS - which would likely result in multiple embryos, probably more than the donor embryos meaning potential additional transfers so increased odds per transfer, plus potentially additional transfer(s)?  There is so much for you to think about. I'm sorry you're in this position, but happy you have a supportive clinic and RE. My thoughts are with you as you decide what is best. Many, many ((hugs))!

    Age: 35 TTC since 2005, MFI & DOR 

    IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

     IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

    IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

    FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

    **new RE**

     IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

     IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

    9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

    Twin girls! 3/6/14

     

  • It sounds like you have some good options to consider.  It's such a hard decision to make and I am sending you a big hug.  If this cycle doesn't pan out, we will be back to deciding between DE and donor embryo.  Like you I prefer DE since it has the potential to yield more embryos, but it's hard when you look at the price difference.  I think the big mental hurdle for me is that we had such a terrible experience with donor embryos.  Good luck with your decision.

    imageimageimageimageimage

     

    image

    TTC #1 since August 2011

    My Blog

    September 2012: Start IF testing

    DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

    October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

    November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

    January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

    April 2015: FET #2.1


    PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

  • <3 I'm so sorry you have to think about all of this! I'm sending strength and love your way
    **SIGGY WARNING**

    Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

    IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

    IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

    imageimageimage

    My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • @mm29- So sorry to hear about your cycle. It's awful and draining to have to go through this process over and over again.

    I hope you don't mind me giving my opinion, but as someone who has gone through 2 fresh DE with frozen DS (the 1st with a proven sperm donor and the 2nd with both proven egg donor and sperm donor) I just feel like there are no guarantees. I know that there is obviously something else wrong with me that we are missing, as I have transferred several good embryos and still no THB, but looking back, I am disapointed that we didn't end up with as many good embryos from either cycle, given the fact that we used both DE and DS.

    Our 1st cycle resulted in having to do a 3dt, due to poor quality. Then our FET was with 2 day 6 blasts, which have a lower chance of implantation. (I had a chemical with the FET, so there is a good chance that the embryo was good and we still havent figured out what else is wrong with me)

    Our 2nd cycle we had poor sperm quality, less than average fertilozation (despite ICSI and a proven sperm donor), though the embryo quality was better. In total, we ended up with 4 day 5 embryos (though one was not viable after it was thawed, which could mean there was a chromosomal issue, ect. with that embryo, per my RE anyway)

    We chose to go the DE/DS route in hopes of having lots of good embryos and we had initially hoped to have 2 children. I have read of most other woman who go this route having lots of great embryos as a result, but this wasn't really the case for us.

    I understand and respect your choice, but given there are (2?) good quality day 5 blasts available for you, I wouldn't rule it out yet.

    I only say this as someone who experienced this process 2x and was disapointed that we only ended up transferring a total of 4 embryos from our 1st cycle and 3 with the 2nd. I just feel like maybe it's worth reconsidering trying with the ones available. As you know, the DE process is very time consuming and expensive and if you try the FET option with the donor embryos it is neither.

    I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I hope you and your husband can come to a decision that you are both comfortable and happy with. As always, I hope for nothing but the best for you. I hope you are ok and taking care of yourself.

    Me (32) DOR, elevated NK Cells/ 2 copies of MTHFR mutation/ MH (35) azoo/high DFI   (TTC#1 since 2009)

    IVFs#1-4: (4/10-2/12) all BFN

    Surprise Bfp (9/11) - c/p

    DS IUI#1-2 (9/12, 10/12) - BFN

    DS IVF: (11/12) - BFN

    DE/DS IVF#1: (10/13) - 2 day 3 embies transferred-BFFN

    FET of 2 day 6 blasts: (12/13) - c/p

    DE/DS IVF #2: (4/14) - 1 day 5 blast transferred...BFFN...again.

    FET 5/14: 1 day 5 hatching blast transferred...another BFFN

    Repeat SHG 6/14-normal / Endometrial Receptivity Array biopsy 7/14-Receptive Uterus

    New RE, additional testing reveals elevated NK Cells

    FET of 1 day 5 blast (RE recommends transferring 1 due to elevated NK cells) with lovenox, steroids & intralipids in October

     

     

     

    mm29
  • I looked at the male and female donor profiles for the set of donated embryos. I have some concerns, and it’s something I didn't think about until I received the profiles. My main concern is that I have had failed embryo transfers in the past, one of which we know was chromosomally normal. I think it may take more than one transfer to find success.  

    DH and I have put a lot of thought into this, and I am not going to lie, I’m having a really hard time. I feel really ungrateful and selfish that my clinic has tagged for us does not feel like a good match. I have asked to be kept us on the list for donated embryos.

    The hubs and I had a really good conversation and decided to put our plans for cycling on hold for the next few months until we pay off some debt. I’m thinking things will be a lot better in the next few months for us emotionally and financially. I do not want to put things on hold, but I’m not in the right state of mind to cycle.  I hope to cycle early spring.
    ::: Married June 2003:::
    TTC #1 since: Aug. 2008
    Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
    DH: 38, Balanced translocation 5&10, unexplained MFI, normal SA and SCSA
    Tx History: IUI 1&2= BFN
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 2: cancelled d/t no response
    IVF# 3= 1 egg retrieved=immature/not viable
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    Found DHs BT and Me-decreased blood flow to uterus
    Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
    ***New RE***
    DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 
    IVF# 6: (OE/DS) cancelled
    IVF# 7: (OE/DS) 1R, 1M, 1F, arrested day 5
    Plan-DE IVF# 2 (cycle #8): DE/DS in May 2015

    http://icanhazbabyz.blogspot.com/
    imageimage image 
    chucktgirl
  • J&D2007J&D2007
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Photogenic
    member
    edited November 2014
    Stepping back and away from everything is sometimes the best choice you can make. Although it won't be far from your mind, try to relax and enjoy the holidays with YH. You will both be more settled and able to make the right choice for you. Maybe we will be spring cycle buddies:-)
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
    mm29
  • @mm29 - I completely understand. I didn't realize you were dealing with these other factors. You absolutely need to come to a decision you are both comfortable with. You are not selfish, you didn't have all of the information to make a fully informed decision.

    These are not easy decisions; it's very hard to go through this multiple times and it's been my experience that the 3rd party aspect makes it that much harder because it's supposed to work.

    They will match the embryos with another couple, they will not be wasted. Don't be concerned about that part, the clinic can take care of that.

    I know what you mean about needing more transfers. I feel the same way. I used to think that we just had an egg or sperm issue and once we got a great embryo or 2 it just had to work. Obviously, that hasn't been the case.

    We were recently considering trying a frozen DE cycle with DS; then I remembered that though the success rate at my clinic is actually slightly higher with frozen DE than fresh, most people don't have implantation issues.

    I hope you have wonderful holidays with your husband and I hope you have lots and lots of money to do whatever you decide in the spring. >:D<

    Me (32) DOR, elevated NK Cells/ 2 copies of MTHFR mutation/ MH (35) azoo/high DFI   (TTC#1 since 2009)

    IVFs#1-4: (4/10-2/12) all BFN

    Surprise Bfp (9/11) - c/p

    DS IUI#1-2 (9/12, 10/12) - BFN

    DS IVF: (11/12) - BFN

    DE/DS IVF#1: (10/13) - 2 day 3 embies transferred-BFFN

    FET of 2 day 6 blasts: (12/13) - c/p

    DE/DS IVF #2: (4/14) - 1 day 5 blast transferred...BFFN...again.

    FET 5/14: 1 day 5 hatching blast transferred...another BFFN

    Repeat SHG 6/14-normal / Endometrial Receptivity Array biopsy 7/14-Receptive Uterus

    New RE, additional testing reveals elevated NK Cells

    FET of 1 day 5 blast (RE recommends transferring 1 due to elevated NK cells) with lovenox, steroids & intralipids in October

     

     

     

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards