July 2014 Moms
Options

Ounces Revisited

Can we get an update on how many ounces our LOs are eating per feeding and per day? I'm going back to work in a month and I breastfeed with the occasional bottle of breastmilk so I'm curious how many ounces I should plan on leaving each day. Also, any word on medium flow nipples now that we are closing in on 4 months? What size bottles are you using/plan on using?

My LO is 16 weeks and can eat anywhere from 4oz-6oz per feeding. We usually have anywhere from 5-7 feedings per day depending on MOTN feedings. I've been using the medela 5oz bottles but was thinking of buying some larger bottles with medium flow nipples... Anyone else?

Re: Ounces Revisited

• Options
    LO just turned 3 months and when he takes a bottle eats around 4-5 oz usually. We also feed between 5-7 times a day.
  • Options
    DD is almost 14w. She's 14.6lbs, using Avent Natural bottles and stage 3 nipple (3month+)

She has 4-5 feedings a day.

7:30/8am [7oz]
    11:30/12pm [6.5/7oz]
    3:30/4pm [6.5/7oz]
    7:30/8pm [8oz]

DD is STTN but occasionally she might wake up around 2-3am for a feed and she will usually get 6.5/7oz

[ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is 14 weeks and does 5 oz every 3ish hrs during the day. And sleeps thru the night. First bottle about 5am last 8ish. Between 28-30 oz a day. Dr says it's perfect. She just increased to 5. Was at 4oz except for the morning feed until a week ago.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DD drinks 3-4 oz from the bottle, from a mam bottle still with the slow flow nipple. She typically eats every 3 hours, sometimes longer, when she's away from me. She prefers to nurse so she isn't a big eater away from me. I just make sure to nurse her right before I leave and as soon as I get back.

Sometimes she takes 1-1 1/2 oz in a bottle if she's trying to settle into sleep. Her care providers know when she's just using the bottle because it's usually as she's drifting. They will typically split a bottle and she takes a small bottle before nap, and again if she gets hungry right before I get off work.
  • Options
    DD is 18 weeks and we use the Tommee Tippee bottles with the slowest flow nipple. She eats about 11-13 ounces while I'm at work and then I BF the rest of the time. Usually will do bottles of 3-4 ounces.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD also uses Tommy Tippee with the slowest flow nipples at 4mo. She only bottle feeds one day a week and does 5oz every 3 hours that day.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    5-7 feedings depending on MOTN wake ups. Usually EBF but when she does take a bottle it's usually about 5oz.
  • Options
    I work 3 days a week and BF the rest of the time. She takes a 4oz. When she wakes up usually around 7:30, then 2 more 3-4oz about every 3-4 hrs. I also leave my mom with several frozen 1oz. bags because sometimes DD just wants the comfort and something to suck when she's ready for a nap. So we usually go through anywhere between 12-15oz. While I'm at work which is typically a 10 hour day.

We use the Playtex Drop-ins. Seems to help with gas because you can push the air out. We still use the natural latch slow-flow nipple even though she's almost 4 months. The medium flow is just too fast right now.
  • Options
    DS is 16 weeks. He is EBF and I pump at work. He has not had his 4 month well child yet but he is aprox 15 lbs.

I'm away from him about 10 hours a day. (That's changing next week yay!!) He has just begun eating 5 oz bottles every three hours. I nurse him when I'm home. I always pack 3 bottles and a back up.

We use the Avent natural bottles and slow flow nipples.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Not sure it was mentioned by anyone, but if you're planning to continue nursing, you want to stick with the slowest flow nipples the whole time.  It's most similar to the effort of being on the breast.  Some babies, if they get the faster nipples will boycott the breast because it's "harder" to get the milk out of than the bottle.

As to ounces, I send in what I pump the day before, so it varies from 4-6oz a bottle.  
  • Options
    LO will be 4 months on Friday...We're doing 5 bottles a day...total ounces 29 oz a day
  • Options
    Around 19 weeks FF 4xs 8oz=32 oz/day Dr Brown #2 nipple
  • Options
    EBF, I still send 12 ounces to daycare with him.  He'll be 15 weeks on Thursday.  At daycare they feed him from 2-4 ounces per feeding.  I don't have the bottles pre-prepared except for 1 4 ounce fresh bottle...the others are all frozen from my stash.  We're still using slow flow.

• Options
    @abundancenow ...how long are u going between feedings? 5 hours?
  • Options
    I pump twice at work to use for the following day (10&2pm). It ends up being around 12-15 ounces and he usually drinks around 13. Liam is 17 weeks and roughly 16lbs. For awhile I was trying to pump 3 times at work to build up more of a buffer/supply, but it was way too hard to fit in a third session and did not yield that much more milk.
  • Options
    My LO will only take 3 ounces MAX per feeding.  How in the world are your babies drinking so much?!  LO would barf it all up if he drank 5-6 ounces!  :(

He eats about every 2-2.5 hours from MAM bottles while I'm at work (I'm away from 7am-4pm). 

I pump at 6:45am, 9:45am, 12:45pm, and then feed him as soon as I get home at 4pm (as long as he isn't asleep).  I pump around 12-13 ounces total, and that's how much he usually eats while I'm away.  Currently very grateful he doesn't eat more than I pump.

I know my LC said I should give him my oldest frozen milk (from July?!), but lately I've been having him drink my fresh milk from the previous day.  Kellymom says that milk made when the baby is 4 months old is particularly tailored for a 4 month old....it doesn't make sense to me to make him drink frozen milk from when he was 3 weeks old!

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• Options
    jennp1979 said:
    @abundancenow ...how long are u going between feedings? 5 hours?

Between 3-5 hours, ideally 4 hours, but depends on naps. If she goes 5 hours between feedings, sometimes she falls asleep for the night before I can get the last feeding in and only ends up with 3 feedings that day..
    Her Dr said to aim for 4feedings per day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"