July 2014 Moms

Sleep at day care centers

How many teachers and babies are in the room at your day care center? What is the atmosphere like? How much sleep is you baby getting during the day?

Our room has 2-3 teachers for 8 babies. It's a really nice location, but not as cozy and affectionate as the place we took DD to. I think all the noise of other babies is part of our sleep problem. DS is there for 9-10 hours and only sleeping 60-120 minutes. He's been there for 3 weeks now. As soon as we get home, he's done for the day, so I don't really get to enjoy him at all. It sucks! I'm hoping one of you out there have made it to better naps, or are at least going through similar transition issues.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Re: Sleep at day care centers

• There's only 5 in DD's room, but she doesn't nap long in there (yet).  Lots of cat naps ~30min each, but it totals probably 4 hours once the day is through.  It's tough since we get home around 5:30 and she's nursed and in her crib for the night at 7:30, but we make up for it on the weekends.
  • Grr sleeps in bits and pieces at daycare. Then he's ready to crash pretty good at night. He needs his beauty sleeps.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • My LO sleeps fine at daycare.  There are 10 babies and 3 teachers in the room.  She normally takes 2 short naps (30-40 minutes) and 1 long nap (2 to 3 hours) during the day.  She naps on my hour drive home and for about 30 minutes after we are home, then she is in bed by 9 even though we are working on moving that up since she seems pretty tired. During maternity leave I always had the lights on and TV on for noise - she can sleep through anything.
  • We don't go to a center, but when SIL has DD she doesn't sleep well at her house, either. I think mine just only feels comfortable at home or with DH or I. No idea what to do about it, I'm hoping she gets more comfortable soon because by the time I have her she gets overtired to where she won't sleep but is super cranky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my DS, he didn't nap well at daycare until he had two well established naps (ie one AM nap and one PM nap). I think that happened around 6 months or so. When he was still taking more naps (3 or 4 naps), the naps at daycare were much shorter than they were at home.

• ADC1979ADC1979 member
    edited October 2014
    LO usually gets a 2-3 hour nap in at daycare, and then sometimes 1-2 additional short naps (20-30 mins).  I don't know how many babies are in the room with him...I pick him up and he's usually the last one there, but I know there's 2 teachers.

Since I don't get to pick him up till almost 6:30, as soon as we get home he eats.  Then sometimes he takes a nap, or other times he hangs out with us (and demands more food.)  

ETA: the puppy emoji didn't work in my post!

• I work at a childcare facility (dd doesn't go to one though) and while every facility and every child is different, I've noticed it takes babies a few months to really get on a schedule.

I don't know how accommodating your daycare is but have you tried asking them to put him down at certain times to be consistent with what he gets at home? That's definitely something we do where I work but I know it's not feasible everywhere
  • I found out they weren't swaddling him. Apparently Texas regulations don't allow itwothout a doctors note . So I got our ped to fax one over and now he sleeps so much better!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • DD goes to daycare from 8:15-5:15. She naps 9-10:15, 12-2:30 or 3, then 4:45-5:15. There are three other babies in her room, one of those is part time and one teacher. They turn the lights out for nap time and I think that is the key to her sleeping so well.
  • Most days dd has 3 naps that are about an hour long.  I sometimes worry that she doesn't have a longer one in the afternoon.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im jealous of all of you! I have a nap striker! On days I'm off I can usually get her to take a late morning nap (30-60 min) and an afternoon nap (60 min) and SOMETIMES an evening nap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"