October 2013 Moms
Options

Should you ask for a marriage blessing?

edited October 2014 in October 2013 Moms
Do you think a person should ask their significant others parent or parent type figure for their hand in marriage before an engagement? To clarify, this would include a man and a woman, lesbian couple, etc. (PS I know I'm a lurker but the board is dying, everyone loves a poll and I'm curious. :) )

Should you ask for a marriage blessing? 97 votes

Yes! It's a romantic and traditional gesture that should definitely happen!
59% 58 votes
Um, no. This isn't 1920.
29% 29 votes
Other, comment below.
10% 10 votes

Re: Should you ask for a marriage blessing?

• Options
    I think it's a nice gesture, but it should be done after the actual couple have already agreed to marry. When the guy asks the girls dad before he asks her, it's too much like the old days when women were property for my liking.

I also think this is unnecessary if you KNOW the parents disapprove for a big reason I.e gay marraige or interracial marraige. If someone's parents are awful, you shouldn't ask their blessing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nope
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Options
    deedee1017deedee1017 member
    edited October 2014
    I don't think it's necessary but it's a nice gesture. My dh asked my mom for her blessing before he proposed. I think it was sweet.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Having my DH hask my Dad was something that was really important to me.  My father and I are very close.  My DH still talks about that dinner he had with my Dad and how much he enjoyed that conversation.  I'm happy he did it. 
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options

SS.  I don't think it should happen but is a nice guesture.  I guess it depends on the dynamic of each family.

DH asked my dad.  He knew he didn't have to but felt it was the right thing to do.  They get along very well and I am very close with my family.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Chrisanna0508Chrisanna0508 member
    edited October 2014
    I put yes, but I am very traditional. Having said that, DH went and asked my dad for his blessing and my dad said no, mainly for religious reasons. DH talked to me after that and we decided to get engaged anyway. My parents came around about 6 months later and now I think they like DH more than me sometimes! Hah

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    SS: nice, but not necessary. SO did ask my mom before he proposed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I put yes, while I don't think you have to I was happy DH asked my Father.  
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• Options
    Not important.  DH didn't ask my dad because we aren't really close (parents divorced young).  DH informed my mom he was going to propose to me, but never really asked for her permission.  For some reason she wanted him to ask her.   :-/

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • Options
    No - but it's a nice gesture.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    Yes. It's tradition in my family/culture and was very important to me, MH, and my parents.
  • Options
    No. My husband didn't know my dad well, and he knew my mom couldn't keep a secret...so he asked my best friend if it was ok. Lol.

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• Options
    I think it really depends on the circumstances, but it was very important to me, my DH and my family. We're traditional that way, though. We were also 21 when we got engaged - I think it makes a lot more a difference for people in their later 20s, 30s, etc. who are more established, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    This is fun to see everyone's opinions and stories!

My sister recently got engaged and her fiancé didn't ask much less even tell my mom (dad is deceased). I was and am annoyed by it. We are a small close family and they had been here on vacation a month before and could have easily mentioned it then. Hence the curiosity poll. ;)
  • Options
    Gah - nope.

image4months_2radioflyer

• Options
    I put ss because in general I think it's completely unnecessary. I would have thought it was weird if dh had asked my parents' permission or of they had known before I did. The only exception is if it important to the person being proposed to. I feel like the person doing the proposing should know if it's important to their partner and make sure to act accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"