Food Allergy

Intro and Milk allergy???

My DD is almost two. Her father has a sensitivity to dairy, like if he eats too much cheese he gets a stomach ache, he usually gets his lattes with soy milk, etc. I'm not sure if this means he's actually lactose intolerant or allergic.

When I was in the hospital after having DD, my milk wasn't coming in and DD was losing too much weight. I didn't want to give her formula, but the nurse called the pediatrician and insisted we supplement. I did BF, but also used formula from then on because my supply was pretty low. We had to use Similac Sensitive, or the store brands equivalent. Enfamil Gentle made DD scream like she was dying on the inside. Poor thing. I never really noticed her getting sick if I ate dairy products, but I like soy milk too and would substitute it a lot in my own foods.

At the 12-month mark, when we could try giving DD cows milk, she had a bad reaction. A few times since, she's gotten sick off dairy. I once gave her a taste of my yogurt because she had it before and didn't get sick so I thought it was okay. She had diarrhea, stomach cramps, and a diaper rash the next day from it.

So anyway, I'm not sure whether she's lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy. I just stay away from milk products because I don't want her to go through that kind of pain ever again. Any ideas, suggestions appreciated. 

Re: Intro and Milk allergy???

• It sounds like lactose intolerance but you should take her to an allergist. Also try goats milk if she can tolerate that she is prob lactose intolerant.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Loading the player...
  • Your situation sounds the same as ours was.  Screaming, puking, 6-10 bowel movements a day, incurable and rashes, skin issues and I found the fact that she was rigid like a plank to be really weird (would hold under her arms and turn her body to the 3 or 9 o'clock position and she was so straight rigid).  Anyway, I couldn't handle it anymore we tried every milk-like product (soy/almond/coconut/sensitive/gassy/fussy/lactose free/ - -)  and finally settled with the only one she would do (almond).  Still problems but finally drinking "milk", less puking & screaming.  Long story short, allergist guided us to "FPIES"(identification of certain proteins triggering allergic like results typically through accident or trial and error).  I see this other MSPI thing on the board but it most definitely doesn't cover what's going on for us.
    As for your husband's sensitivity, few people realize this but, as an adult your digestive system has a more difficult time processing the enzymes in milk leaving many adults with symptoms such as those you describe.  Ingesting/drinking [traditional cow] milk can have negative side effects for adults (if any).  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"