Attachment Parenting

Baby wearing in the Wintertime

Any favorite tips or advice for baby wearing in the winter time?  We use soft-structured carriers (my mom uses a Boba and I use a Tula) for LO.  I've seen some baby carrier covers, but am not sure if they're worth the money.  Do any of you use them?  Any recs?  TIA!

Re: Baby wearing in the Wintertime

• How cold is it where you are?  I'm in the PacNorthwest, and we don't do a whole lot - I wear a coat big enough she could be covered by it too, but that was about it.  And, I suppose, we'd use a longer wrap with more layers.  (Which usually left me roasting, everywhere except my arms...)
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks.  We're in the midwest with the famous polar vortex.  Obviously, I wouldn't be taking him out when it's insanely cold like that, but I'd like to be able to get out when it's "warm" enough to snow.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Heyyyy, polar vortex!! Ok, so last winter, I would put DD in fleece, hat, mittens, etc., and then put her in the carrier, then put my coat over us both, and zip it up to cover her legs/feet. She was always fine (we live in NYC, so are usually out on foot). The issue I ran into was for me! Since the coat doesn't zip up all the way, it helps to wear a fleece yourself, and a scarf across your neck/chest to cut down on any wind (and you can also wrap the scarf around baby as needed).

I though about getting one of those baby wearing coats, but they are so expensive and they didn't seem all that warm compared to my Land's End BeastCoat. I am thinking of getting a panel I can attach to the front this year, since DD is big enough now that I think my coat won't stretch to zip around us enough.
  • One other thing we did, as she was older, was put my wool socks over her feet (fully clothed).  Added an extra layer of warmth for her exposed body parts. :)  I've also tucked a fleece blanket around us together and wrapped her legs up in it in the past to help keep her warmer.
    IMG_8355
  • One other thing we did, as she was older, was put my wool socks over her feet (fully clothed).  Added an extra layer of warmth for her exposed body parts. :)  I've also tucked a fleece blanket around us together and wrapped her legs up in it in the past to help keep her warmer.
    Thanks!  I've been using a fleece blanket on the chilly windy days, too.  I wasn't sure if anyone found those jackets or carrier covers to be worth the money.  Sounds like they aren't necessary.

Thanks for everyone's help :)
  • I've been making flannel maxaloones for my boy so I can add more covering to his feet if needed and keep his legs nice and warm. I figure with a fleece jacket and long-sleeved onesie, I can keep his core warm, but his legs are just dangling out there in the wind. Usually the winters in Texas aren't so horrible, but if it's looking to get colder, I might have to search for warmer stretchy fabric and make some even warmer ones.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                image image image
  • I LOVE the Ergo papoose coat.  I have the navy blue heavy one.  There is also a lighter weight one.  It is so nice and warm and I've even worn it without baby to work and stuff.  I got it on sale and it was very reasonable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got the vest by Boba and have liked it for the fall and early winter chill. I can leave my coat open or zip a bigger coat around both of us depending on temp and then dress DS accordingly as well.
  • My winter coat is from when I was 50 pounds heavier.
    I just wear him in the carrier under the coat and button it up over him.
    If I didn't already have the coat, I'd look for one at the second hand shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"