Cloth Diapering
Options

I need thoughts on formal wear

stoneycakesstoneycakes member
edited October 2014 in Cloth Diapering
I'm going to a gala where I'll be wearing a burgundy dress.  I want to sew myself a cape/wrap to go along with it.  I have black shoes and I'm going to get a black bag.  Should the cape be black or match the dress?  I found a burgundy velvet that is just a *hair* darker that looks really nice with it.  But I'm wondering if I should go for contrast?

Also, I found some patterned fabric (kind of along the lines of paisley, but more ornate) for the liner, but I'm wondering if it's too much because there's also lace detail on the dress.  Should I just go with a solid liner?

Re: I need thoughts on formal wear

• Options
    If you might have another occasion to need a wrap to go with a different dress, I'd make it black. Otherwise the burgundy sounds gorgeous.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I vote burgundy so that the lace on the dress stands out. What color was the patterned fabric? I could see black pattern being nice, but so would a solid color.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    rugbymama said:
    I vote burgundy so that the lace on the dress stands out. What color was the patterned fabric? I could see black pattern being nice, but so would a solid color.
    Mostly red, with gold and green touches.  I black one would look nice, too.  I hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    Omg I love that dress.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    Oh that is hot Stoney!

I think either burgandy or black would be fine, but I think it would be pretty to use a texture.  So whether velvet, or even a solid color where just the texture is paisley would be really nice.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    That dress is gorgeous Stoney! I agree with PP about making it black if you will get more use out of it but if not, burgundy sounds pretty too.

• Options
    Ok, first, GORGEOUS dress! Second, my vote is black :)
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Options
    I'm so jealous that you get to wear that awesome dress. I'm also going to vote black so as to not compete with the dress. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Omg I love that dress.

This. Foxy lady, Stoney!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Yowza! I love that!

And I vote black wrap to show of that amazing dress.
  • Options
    Okay. More opinions needed.  Both would have a black velvet exterior and some kind of satin-like lining...

A little cape like this?

how to sew a cape @cleverlyinspired (1)

Or a wrap like this?

Or let me know if you have a better idea :)
  • Options
    I could put a little collar and a fancy button at the neck of the cape, too.
  • Options
    I personally think a wrap goes better with a dress like that. You could still put a cool closure on it.
  • Options
    Or someone tell me how to make this without a pattern...

SPECTACULAR 1960's Red Velvet Opera Cape Trimmed with Sumptuous Black Feather Boa Outrageous OOAK
  • Options
    Or someone tell me how to make this without a pattern...

SPECTACULAR 1960's Red Velvet Opera Cape Trimmed with Sumptuous Black Feather Boa Outrageous OOAK
    Shoot! If my mom lived closer, I could totally mail you this pattern.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure ITK is the person we need. Wasn't she making loads of capes for A?? Why did she have to go off and spend quality time prepping for Katniss. Priorities, ITK!

Anyway, I looked through my pattern stash and didn't find any capes. I have one pattern for a set of sleeves...not sure what to call them...or a bolero. It's Simplicity 3533. I don't think it's what you are looking for, but if you want it I will send it to you!

• Options
    Thanks so much, Jane!  I looked at it on google and it isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I appreciate that you looked through your pattern stash for me!
  • Options
    Burgundy and paisley takes my vote, fancier is better! You can always over dye it if you want to redo the color later.
  • Options
    Mapleme said:
    Wouldn't that be something like a poncho with arm slats? (But way prettier)
    Yeah, basically.  I'm sure I could make one without a pattern, but it's only a week away and I just want to get it done without having to play with it, especially since the velvet is uber pricey.
  • Options
    Cool, ITK.  You can just mail that pattern along to me when you finish it, Mmmmkay? ;)
  • Options
    Cool, ITK.  You can just mail that pattern along to me when you finish it, Mmmmkay? ;)

LLOL, yeah, you'll probably get it right around 2018, just in time for your gala.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

LLOL, yeah, you'll probably get it right around 2018, just in time for your gala.
    That's okay.  I'm going to make All. The. Capes.
  • Options
    After all that hemming and hawing, I think I'm just going to make a scarf with a hidden layer of fleece for warmth.  Then I don't have to worry about fit or length and whether it looks right with the dress.  Easy Peasy.  Then onto everyday capes ;)
  • Options
    A cape is a great way to dress up for any event!
    That cape makes you look really intelligent, ITK.  Like someone who knows how to open deodorant containers lickety split ;)

Whyyyyyy do they even have the little ridge on top to grip then? I mean, it's not rocket science opening it, I've always pulled the cap off with no issues, but seriously, why wouldn't it just be molded to the top of the deodorant if that's how I'm supposed to open it?
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

That cape makes you look really intelligent, ITK.  Like someone who knows how to open deodorant containers lickety split ;)

Whyyyyyy do they even have the little ridge on top to grip then? I mean, it's not rocket science opening it, I've always pulled the cap off with no issues, but seriously, why wouldn't it just be molded to the top of the deodorant if that's how I'm supposed to open it?

You can use the ridge to push the cap off easier (kind of push it over). And not getting the deodorant stick on your fingers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Mandmeesh said:

You can use the ridge to push the cap off easier (kind of push it over). And not getting the deodorant stick on your fingers

I've never gotten deodorant stick in my fingers either. Maybe it's all the rest of you who are just unable to function properly. #genius
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"