2nd Trimester
Options

Head & chest cold

I am dying (no not really but I feel like it). I have the worst head & chest cold. Dr gave me clear for mucinex but it is barely touching it. It is so hard to breathe and I feel like there isn't enough room in my guts to cough. Any natural remedies other than a hot shower to try? If I could just break up some of this congestion..

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Head & chest cold

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    No I'll try that.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was sick for over two weeks recently with some sort of cold. It sucked. I thoroughly believe it lingered because I couldn't put myself in my usual two day NyQuil coma. Being pregnant and sick sucks. I hope you feel better! Nothing I did helped. I just waited it out.
    BFP 8/9/2014
    Baby Boy wolowizard due 4/14/2015
    Greyson Robert
  • Options
    I currently have a chest cold and it sucks. I've been drinking tea with honey and taking spoonfuls of honey to coat my throat. At night I have a coconut oil and eucalyptus oil rub that I put on my chest. And I put drops of eucalyptus oil in my shower to help too.

If I had a head cold i would use the netipot. But I've also poured boiling water in a bowl, put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the bowl and then covered my head with a towel to breathe in the vapors. That definitely helps.

I haven't taken cold medicine since I was pregnant with my first back in 2011. I'm still breastfeeding her and am now pregnant again. So I avoid medicine. These remedies usually help but it does take time for the cold to work out of your system.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do hot water with honey and cinnamon, mentholatum (sp?) on my nose, and TONS of water. Hot showers help, and a humidifier is a must. 
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm right there with ya. This is the worst cold I've ever had (probably because I can't take anything). I used the only two sick days I've taken all year this week. Try bringing a couple peppermint tea bags into the shower with you. It provides some temporary relief. My doc also said saline nasal spray is fine.
  • Options
    Ugh that sucks. I had a minor cold when I was just a few months pregnant and it was awful. I used a neti pot, arm and hammer simply saline nasal spray, nasal strips, gargled warm salt water, lots and lots (and lots) of water and healthy foods, fresh pineapple (my mom says it helps respiratory system), and just got a lot of rest. Hot Epsom salt baths (door closed, no fan on). Binged on netflix for a few days then felt a lot better :)

I also drank all sorts of tea. It seems to lubricate my throat much better than just water. I like "pregnancy tea", rooibos tea, and an echinacea tea for immune support. I always add a bit of honey :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. The neti pot helped some but it seems like the cold just moved down to my lungs. It is finally starting to break up a bit, so I'm feeling some relief. Being sick while pregnant sucks, I feel like it took a bigger toll on me than normal! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Nasal saline and a vaporizer help tons at night!

Ive had the funk for over 2 weeks so my dr gave me amoxicillin. Its clearing it up. I'm not one to take antibiotics quickly but in this case it was needed. Good luck!
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"