September 2014 Moms
Options

baby wont take the bottle

DD is 5 weeks old and we have been attempting to introduce the bottle so she will take it when she goes to daycare. We have until January to get her to accept it but we have been trying since she was 3 weeks old with no luck. She screams and spits it back out and pushes it away with her hands and maybe drinks an ounce at the most. After a while of trying she just screams like she is being murdered. I even thought it might be bc it's kind of soapy tasting after a while in the fridge so I scalded the milk that I pumped this am and still no luck. Has anyone else gone through this and actually succeeded?

Re: baby wont take the bottle

• Options
    Have you tried introducing it when you are not around? Like out of the house? I've heard that's a good way to try. My oldest never took a bottle and unfortunately we didn't succeed in getting him to take one ever! I was told to try the leaving thing as well as other types of bottle and nipple. That's the only advice I ever got though. I hope something works!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Even when I'm out of the house she screams bloody murder. My poor H has migraines and every time he watches her while I'm gone she sets one off. We are using the Dr Brown's bottles and nipples right now. I have an avent bottle I was given so I'll try that next. It's crazy that babies really do care about these things.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you tried different types of bottles/nipples?  DD1 was super picky about what kind of nipple she would take and we went through several different types before we found one she would take.

I truly thought that was a made up thing about babies being picky about bottles. I mean, they don't know any better right?  But it was definitely true of my oldest.  This LO is either a little easier going, or we just guessed right on the type of bottle because she hasn't given me any grief about it but I think we went through 4 or 5 different types of bottles with DD1 before she decided one of them was ok.

I have no idea how to just mention you in my reply. Which bottle/nipple ended up working with your first LO?
  • Options
    I just learned last night that my LO loved one brand of pacifier but refused another brand so I would definitely try a different brand of bottle. We EBF and introduced LO to Tommee Tippees at 4 weeks and she took right to them. They seem like great bottles to transition from the breast in my opinion.
  • Options
    My LO wouldn't take a bottle until she was about 8 months old, when I left on a work trip. We couldn't get her to take the Tommee Tippee bottles, but she did take the Lansinoh Momma bottles. I think she preferred the softer latex nipple to the harder silicone ones. For this baby we're using the Munchkin Latch bottles, and they're working fine for her...she seems a lot less picky overall though ;)

• Options
    My LO was refusing the bottle but then I heated the milk up more and he took it with no problems. He also stopped taking it when it cooled mid way through so I had to heat the remaining breast milk for him to finish it.
  • Options

My LO was refusing the bottle but then I heated the milk up more and he took it with no problems. He also stopped taking it when it cooled mid way through so I had to heat the remaining breast milk for him to finish it.

This. Heating the milk up to room temperature is still quite a bit colder than body temp. We heat up a bowl of water in the microwave pretty hot and then drop the bag of milk in it. If it's too hot we let it cool down but she won't take it if it's just like warm.
  • Options
    Have you tried giving her a bottle when she isn't very hungry? I've heard this can help. Also, with DS I would nurse him then literally put the nipple of the bottle right next to my nipple while DS was nursing, then I would switch him to the bottle really fast.
  • Options

That's a good idea. I've only tried warning it to room temp so far. I'll try that next.
  • Options
    rlyttle said:

Have you tried giving her a bottle when she isn't very hungry? I've heard this can help. Also, with DS I would nurse him then literally put the nipple of the bottle right next to my nipple while DS was nursing, then I would switch him to the bottle really fast.

We actually just did the giving it to her when she isn't hungry thing today and it worked :) I was also on the first floor and hubs fed her on the second so maybe that helped too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"