January 2013 Moms

Good News (ish) NBR

So, it looks like we finally figured out my lifelong battle with weight, my life long headaches, and digestion issues. My doctor is 99% sure that i have Celiac's disease, and that going gluten free is going to change my life. We did a blood panel to confirm, but it all fits. So, any gluten free mommas want to spam me with recipes? Cause i am totally out of my depth on this one. 

Also, she sent in my official referral for bariatric surgery, and hernia repair. YAY!! Everything is moving right along.

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

Re: Good News (ish) NBR

• Interesting!  You'll have to keep us up to date as your gluten-free diet progresses, I'm curious to hear how it goes!  And...congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not gluten free but have friends that are for medical reasons. The good news is that it is WAY more common now so there is pretty much gluten free everything (even beer!). Start here: https://www.celiac.com/categories/Gluten-Free--Recipes-c-3400

Good luck and congrats on the answers!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Www.marksdailyapple.com was my lifeline when I couldn't eat gluten, soy, etc. with my reflux baby... Hope that it sorts a lot out for you!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm glad you are getting some answers and starting the process of making things better. GL!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• We're grain free by choice.  We follow a Paleo/Primal Diet, and since giving up grains, I'd never go back.  It was recommended to me when we were struggling with infertility.  Once I gave up grains, I finally started to get my period after it took a 2-3 year absence.  6 months later I was pregnant with DS1.  I was Paleo through my pregnancy (still gained 60 lbs), but was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes at 10 weeks pp.  I don't weigh myself anymore, so I couldn't tell you if I lost all the weight, but my jeans fit, and that's what mattered to me.  I definitely feel like grain free/Paleo is the optimal diet for me.

There are a lot of gluten free options out there now, but please be aware of what the actual ingredients are because there can be a lot of crap in GF stuff now that it's become kind of "trendy" to be GF.

If you are someone who likes to cook and bake (which I recommend when starting out because then you can really control the ingredients and figure out what works for you), here are some websites I like:

Against All Grain - good "real food" recipes

Paleo Parents - great family/kid friendly meals, and the mom in this family has Celiac
    The Paleo Mom - this lady has specialized stuff for people with Auto Immune Diseases

The two women from Paleo Parents and The Paleo Mom have a podcast called The Paleo View, and it's awesome for further information.  They break it down scientifically a lot better than a Dr. can.

The Spunky Coconut - this woman is also mother to a child with autism, and she has seen huge transformations in her child's symptoms since going grain free.  Here's one podcast where she talks about it, and here's another one.

Elana's Pantry - has amazing baked goods recipes.  I found I missed things like cookies, muffins, and cake on special occasions, and her recipes are amazing.  I make them all the time for gluten eating friends, and they have no idea.

I hope this helps.  Feel free to PM me for more.  I love cooking and baking, so I'm constantly on the look out for good stuff.

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • There are soooo many gluten free products out there. Keep us updated if you start noticing a difference. Aldi has a big line of gluten free products that are really good!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• We aren't GF but I think the best way to avoid food sensitivities is through variety so we do make GF dishes just to play around with different flours and grains. It really isn't hard to do anymore, I just buy different types of GF flour from Bob's Mill and look up recipes on Google. 

We've done chickpea pizzas, good but the crust is almost cakey in comparison to real pizza, and buckwheat which tastes weird so I added, probably 1/3 cup dry basil & 1/3 cup parmesan to the dough. Veggie burgers/falafel are easy to sub chickpea or green pea flour into. I made red lentil & sweet potato gnocchi two weeks ago that was pretty good. Used millet flour for "pot pie" crust and quinoa flour to bread asparagus/cauliflower. There are tons of great options if you turn to Google.

I have one cook book called The Homemade Flour Cookbook and I wish she'd made a separate GF book because it's amazing but the first half isn't helpful for those who are completely GF. The author talks about all sorts of different grain flours, legume flours & nut flours providing a few recipes for each.
  • You ladies ROCK!! Thanks for the advice, websites, and cookbooks to look up. I am on day two of gluten free-ness and so far so good. I thought it was going to be this huge ordeal but actually it's just really not that bad. I think the only thing i am going to miss big time is pasta lol. But i found a few recipes to make and freeze my own gluten free version! ^_^

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• I'm glad you're getting answers! I'm not GF but I did a little research into it awhile back. There are a lot of resources out there for you. I'll see if I can find the ones I used to use.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"