2nd Trimester

is apple cider vinegar safe to take while pregnant?

Im 23 weeks and started having a sore throat.

Answers

• It's just food. It's fine.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Make sure it isn't "raw".  I have Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar which is unpasteurized.  I was told by my doc not to consume that.  Just make sure whatever you have is pasteurized.
  • Loading the player...
  • abbyfulabbyful member
    edited October 2014

Make sure it isn't "raw".  I have Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar which is unpasteurized.  I was told by my doc not to consume that.  Just make sure whatever you have is pasteurized.

There's nothing in there that will hurt you, even raw. I use Braggs. Vinegar is just cider + yeast + time (fermentation). In fact, it's a natural antimicrobial/antibacterial.

Your doctor probably had no idea what you meant by raw vinegar, so said "no" to err on the side of caution.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Well I did tell her it was "unpasteurized" as it says on the package.  Maybe she is staying on the side of caution b/c generally it's advised not to consume anything that isn't pasteurized...so, that's why she said no.  I'm saying clear until baby arrives.  
  • 100% totally fine, but it can cause digestive discomfort. Make sure you brush you teeth very well after taking it, it is (obviously) highly acidic. Don't take more than you would take if you weren't pregnant.

Raw ACV is the only ACV worth taking. It needs to have "the mother" in it to get the full benefits. The issues with unpasteurized (unheated) vinegar are not the same as milk products. You aren't consuming mold or harmful bacteria in raw ACV.

Can I ask why you are taking it though?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • The braggs website says its safe to take during pregnancy.
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • 100% totally fine, but it can cause digestive discomfort. Make sure you brush you teeth very well after taking it, it is (obviously) highly acidic. Don't take more than you would take if you weren't pregnant.

Raw ACV is the only ACV worth taking. It needs to have "the mother" in it to get the full benefits. The issues with unpasteurized (unheated) vinegar are not the same as milk products. You aren't consuming mold or harmful bacteria in raw ACV.

Can I ask why you are taking it though?

Bolded text -- Do not follow this advice, unless you've seriously looked it up yourself, OP.

During my college years, I came down with something bad and was on an apple juice and saltine cracker diet for a couple weeks. After that fiasco, my dentist looked at my teeth and asked me if I had been drinking pop and brushing my teeth right after.  Apparently enamel would get soft after exposure to acidic food and drinks, brushing right after would brush away or in my case caused the enamel to move and be unevenly distributed. This could lead to enamel erosion.

Seriously please research it yourself and make your own judgment call. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• There are few human data on the safety of herbal remedies in pregnancy.

Remember that there is no registration process with the FDA, which takes action only if something is found to be unsafe after marketing and makes no claims to monitor something used by children or in pregnancy.

Multiple herbals such as black cohosh, goldenseal, rue, chase berry and pennyroyal oil are uterine stimulants and/or abortifacients and should be avoided, obviously. Ephedra has a significant association with birth defects, including anencephaly (google it only if you're ready it is terrible). Other weight loss products are associated with switching of the great vessels (to the heart, not good).

The real question to you, OP, is why would you put something in your body that may have harm to your fetus to manage your symptoms when your sore throat will resolve itself with time?

Also to those of you stating that Bragg's website says it is safe, OF COURSE IT DOES. THEY ARE SELLING IT TO YOU. THEY ARE NOT FDA REGULATED AND CAN SAY WHATEVER THEY WANT!

Here's the CDC for you: https://www.cdc.gov/pregnancy/meds/

BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • I drink braggs acv everyday and have for years. I find that it helps regulate my digestion and keeps me from bloating. In previous pregnancies swelling was a huge problem and I did not use acv. This pregnancy I have not noticed any swelling. My teeth are fine too. Rule of thumb for me is everything in moderation.
  • I take ACV every day - I haven't been sick in a year in a half since I started. Granted, that could just be coincidental - but seriously, not even a cold. Every time I felt one coming, I'd take a little extra mixed with honey, and wake up fine the next day. Additionally, I haven't had the heartburn issues during this pregnancy, like I did during the first one five years ago. Amazon reviews for Braggs rave about its help with GERD, so maybe there's a connection there. On the other hand, I'm just now 18 weeks, so I'm not HUGE yet - Heartburn may be on the way, simply because of the physical baby in there pushing acid up. With the first pregnancy, I had heartburn from just about day one, though. Who can say, it's five years later, and every pregnancy is different.

As for safety, I can find nothing that says it's dangerous, and lots that say that it is safe. So, in hopes of avoiding being miserably sick and pregnant, I'll keep taking it. I don't think that Braggs would say themselves that it was definitely safe during pregnancy unless they were 100% sure - FDA approved or not, a company is still liable for claims that they make, and can you imagine the lawsuits and damages if someone sued? 

But, yes, definitely don't drink it straight - mix it with water - that dilutes it for the sake of your tooth enamel, and don't brush your teeth for a while after. Drinking it with a straw may even help avoid your teeth getting the brunt of it. My teeth have been great on it for the last year and a half, but that's just my experience, and I've been careful about those items.

• Was using this and got my a1c down from 6.2 to 6.0. Now Im 22 weeks...can I still use it? Hows your baby???
  • lhov said:
    Was using this and got my a1c down from 6.2 to 6.0. Now Im 22 weeks...can I still use it? Hows your baby???

Zombie post is a zombie. The OP hasn't logged on in 2 years so I don't think you're going to get a response @lhov
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers