July 2014 Moms
Options

Is it just my LO?!

So my baby girl sleeps like a champ at night. We just got her out of the swaddle and still doing well. The problem Is naps. She will nap for hours if you hold her. If you put her to nap on her back she immediately wakes up. Wide eyes and ready to play. We leaned she will nap somewhat better on her belly over the boppy. Which means we have to watch her. If you remove the boppy it's maybe 30 minutes. And this isn't a fix to the problem. So my question is how do you sleep so well all night on your back but can't nap that way? She woke up this am hr earlier today to eat. Fell back asleep and same story. Wide awake. Any mommies go thru this and have advice how to get her to nap on her back?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Is it just my LO?!

• Options
    It is really weird how kids can do so well one way at night and not at all for naps. I don't know what to tell you except it usually gets better when they get older and can re-position themselves more easily so they're how they want to sleep (back, side, belly). For now you can just keep trying, or if you can supervise while she does it, I'd just let her nap on her belly.
  • Options
    No advice but I have the same issue. He will sleep being held or in his bouncy seat. The minute you lay him in the crib his eyes pop open. But night time he's fine and usually sleeps at least 8 or 9 hours.

Hopefully someone has an idea for you, I'm curious as well.
    First Baby and a complete surprise.
    Hubby has decided to be team green so we are driving friends and family crazy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice but I have the same issue. He will sleep being held or in his bouncy seat. The minute you lay him in the crib his eyes pop open. But night time he's fine and usually sleeps at least 8 or 9 hours. Hopefully someone has an idea for you, I'm curious as well.

Hopefully!! Makes me feel better though that I'm not alone!!!
  • Options
    Same thing here! Also, lately bedtime has taken a while, too. He'll fall asleep in me but wake up when I put him in his crib. Last night it took two hours to get him down.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Same!! It's a problem. Because the sitters can't hold her for hours. So the evenings after she has been there she is soooooo cranky bc she's exhausted. I'm hoping it gets better soon once her startle is completely gone.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I say be thankful your babies are good sleepers anytime. I've never had anything longer then 3.5 hours. Last night he was up every hour
    image.
  • Options

Is she getting overly tired? Have you tried putting her down for naps a bit earlier?

• Options
    We will go a couple of days of 15-20 minute naps maybe twice, and then one day she will sleep a lot.  She does get overly tired, but sometimes the cat nap helps.  I put her in the crib during the day for naps, or the RNP.  Hell, my dad was watching her last week and she fell asleep in the exersaucer! lol
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Options
    I agree with her possibly being over tired. I've noticed that if I can get her down before she "seems" tired, she sleeps longer.  Usually that means putting her down when she looks wide awake (maybe an hour after eating), but then she's out for at least an hour.  If I wait until I'm getting really obvious sleepy cues or she's getting fussy because she's so tired, then the naps aren't as successful.
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

Is she getting overly tired? Have you tried putting her down for naps a bit earlier?

I try not to let her get overtired. But sometimes it happens. She falls asleep easy it's putting her down. Maybe it's part of the startle that a PP mentioned! As terrible as it is I'm glad I'm not alone!
  • Options

I agree with her possibly being over tired. I've noticed that if I can get her down before she "seems" tired, she sleeps longer.  Usually that means putting her down when she looks wide awake (maybe an hour after eating), but then she's out for at least an hour.  If I wait until I'm getting really obvious sleepy cues or she's getting fussy because she's so tired, then the naps aren't as successful.

Ya. Afternoon naps I think that's part of it. She has a pretty good eat play sleep routine now, but I notice if I think she needs a good nap I'll hold her sometimes. She naps good on her boppy on her tummy. Like 2 hrs at times, But I would prefer her on her back so I don't have to watch her. And I don't think that's a permanent fix. Maybe like others said it will pass when startle goes away. Or as she can position herself better.
  • Options
    Maybe a dumb question, but how long do you leave her? It can take A up to 20 minutes to fall asleep for naps sometimes. She just lays there looking around and eventually falls asleep. As long as she is not crying I let her be. Sometimes if I wait too long to put her down she fusses awhile.

I also put her down whenever she starts fussing or at 2 hours, whichever comes first.

If she's not fussing I'll leave her. Maybe I need to leave her longer though. Sometimes I'll pick her up thinking nap fail. I'll try this today! . Ped even recommended letting her cry or fuss for 5 min to see if she will self soothe. Not CIO by any means.
  • Options
    DS started doing this at bedtime, and it was taking us an hour and more to get him to sleep. He would be sound asleep in our arms and as soon as we would lay him down he would wake up. So, we started just laying him in his crib awake, minimal rocking. It makes me sad, because I want to rock him to sleep. However, he falls asleep much easier now, and seems to sleep better because he's not fighting us the whole time. Maybe you could try just laying her down while she's still awake for her naps and see if that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"