Attachment Parenting

Transition to work

I don't know much about attachment parenting but what do moms do when they return to work and are no longer with baby all day?

My son and I are like attached at the hip, we bed share and I carry him a lot. He is almost 5 months. My mom will be watching him for me when I return to work in a few weeks. I'm worried about the transition. Any advice?
First time mommy-to-be
E.D.D. June 1, 2014

Re: Transition to work

• I would start working on getting him ready now. Does he like the swing, bouncy chair, floor? I would start leaving him in each a little longer each time. Do you wear him? I would also have the discussion with your mom regarding her plans for wearing him - or if she even intends too.

The idea of having a family member watch your kids is great - and can be successful if you start off on the right foot. Expectations should be laid out ahead of time from both parties.

• Bump
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • I went back to work when my twins were 4.5 months old, and my mom watches them at our house when we're at work. I breastfed (still do) and we started bedsharing after I went back to work and they started reverse cycling and hit the 4 mo. sleep regression. I was really nervous about the transition, as one of my girls was a terrible napper and would not nap anywhere but in my arms or the carrier. I tried to do things to prepare for the transition but it didn't really do anything but stress me out in those final few weeks of my maternity leave.

It was all fine. My mom found her rhythm and the girls got used to a new routine quite easily. My daughter still won't nap in her crib for me, but she will for my mom 5 days a week.

The only thing I would worry about is if your baby won't take a bottle? If he won't, or hasn't been used to it, I'd work on that.

If you are already bedsharing, then that will be a great way for the two of you to reconnect after you've been away all day. And if you are breastfeeding and plan to continue doing so after going back to work, bedsharing will help you keep your milk supply up.

Good luck! It can be a hard transition but it doesn't have to be. And I promise you I have two very happy and extremely attached 18 month olds who have a fabulous relationship with their nana - and I work 40 hours a week.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Start having your mom babywear him, if she is comfortable with that idea. Find a carrier she likes. Have her start practicing.
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"