Baby Names
Options

Masculine/unisex names for girls

DH and I are pretty sure on what we are naming baby girl. What's really annoying is that most people outside of my close friends and family HATE it. I try not to let it bother me too much because we love it, but I must admit that it gets to me sometimes. I don't think we would ever be able to "please" the masses because we only like unisex and strong sounding names for girls. My two questions are...

1. Should I put any weight on the opinions of people who are not my close friends or family and try to pick a more traditional name?

2. What do you all think of the names on the following list?

Scout

Wren

Nico

Nash

Lennox

Arlo

Rhiannon

Remy

Imogen

Also, please feel free to give anymore suggestions that fit with the names on my list! Thank you ladies!

miscarriage 4/16/14 . new baby due 3/14/15!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Masculine/unisex names for girls

• Options
    ariaforte8ariaforte8 member
    edited October 2014
    Wren, Remy, Imogen are the only ones I even kind of like on a girl.
    Fwiw, no opinions matter except for the parents. Name your baby what you like because you'll never ever please everyone so don't hold much salt to that.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DaisyZHDaisyZH member
    edited October 2014
    Imogen is so beautiful! I really hope you use it because it's lovely. I do like Wren as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    I love boys name or unisex names on a girl. However, if we have a daughter, we are sticking with a classical girl name. When push came to shove, I just think my daughter will benefit more with a girl name.

As for your name list
    Scout- love it! As a nn though. I really like Wren. I like Imogene and Rhiannon, but nms. The other names are obvious boy names.

How about Harlow instead of Arlo? Or Natasha nn Nash? I don't want my daughters name to hamper any kind of professional field she chooses.
  • Options

@FreddyisReady I love all your opinions except the "Natasha instead of Nash" because that's my name! haha

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's not about "pleasing the masses". It's about giving your child a name that they will have (unless they change it) for the rest of their life. They are the one who will live with the name. It will be on their applications for college, work, and everything else.

I personally detest boy names on girls. I prefer strong feminine names (they do exist). My personal favorite from your list is Rhiannon. I think it is beautiful and strong. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My daughter's name is Winslow so I definitely say go for it! We do call her Winnie about fifty percent of the time which is more traditionally girly but I adore her name (only on a girl) and am so glad we chose it. I love that she isn't one of the dozens of Avas or Ellas or Emmas or Maddies we know.
  • Options
    @nublet I LOVE that name! So great! For a while we were considering Wicklow (it's the name of our favorite city in Ireland)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like Imogen and Wren.

My dad really wanted to name me Scout. My mom vetoed it. I am so, so glad that she did. It would not have fit me at all, and I have always been very glad I don't have that name. Just my two cents!

• Options
    Pleasing the masses isn't necessary but naming your child a name "because you love it" without considering the implications to the child is selfish.  You are naming an actual person, not a pet.  If multiple people are telling you a name is awful you might want to listen.  

I really like Imogen from your list.  I think that is a strong name.  Nash is unpleasant.  I would not want to introduce myself as that.  And Scout is eye-roll worthy.  It sounds hipster and desperate.  I don't equate boy names on girls as a strong name.  I consider it trying to be cool and basically condemning your child to being referred to as sir the rest of her life.  You have a lot of good suggestions on here.  I'd consider some.  
  • Options
    Rhiannon is my favorite! Such a strong name, but also feminine

• Options
    Rhiannon and Imogen are great options for a daughter. I love Wren on paper, but I cringe every time I hear it IRL unfortunately. That Ren sound is just unpleasant to my ear. :(

My favorite strong girl names are Bernadette (brave as a bear) and Joan. 
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Scout - sounds like a nickname to me

Wren - LOVE it

Nico - hate it on a girl

Nash - hate it, especially on a girl

Lennox - hate it

Arlo - hate it on a girl

Rhiannon - not my style but nice

Remy - sounds like a nickname

Imogen - nms but nice

What about Sloane, Gwen, Maeve, Eve, Asha?

• Options
    It is pretty terrible. Rhiannon is the only one I'd pick for you.
  • Options
    @divinemsbee‌, I'm bump crushing you so hard right now! ;)
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Options
    Rhiannon is great.  Imogen is good.  Wren is OK.  Otherwise, nope.  

DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • Options
    Love Wren! Had DS been a girl that would've been the mn, and most likely what I would have called her.

Imogen is another one I love. DH vetoed it unfortunately.

And I love Nash, for a boy.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• Options
    I love all the names you have picked for girls! Remy is one that I am considering! Also considering Hadley(I have a thing for house I guess and Remy Hadley was my favorite character!) I prefer masculine/strong sounding girl names, gives a good edge and uniqueness from other girls. I always hated having such a classic girl name and I know many other women who do too!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First, let me say that in the end no ones opinion matters but yours. This is your child and you are not bound to friends or families likes or dislikes. They will love the baby no matter what you name her.

With that said, please consider how she will feel going through life as Nash. If she chooses to enter any sort of professional workplace she may actually have to overcome assumptions based on her name. If you really love Scout, for example, then give her a serious and professional sounding name (like Rhiannon kr Imogen) and call her scout as a pet name (again, it was just a nn in the book) at least give her the option of a formal name.

Ok, that was really long to basically reiterate what pps have said. Lol
    Whatever you choose, congrats!
  • Options
    I like Nash and Arlo!
  • Options
    No to all for a girl. Just no.

~**~Me (27) <3 DH (30)~**~
    **Love = August 12, 2012**
    **Marriage = July 4, 2014**
    **Baby Carriage = TBD**

Anniversary
  • Options

I don't think you should change your names because people don't like the choices.  You know you are picking a different name for your child but its not like you want something terrible or offensive.  You will probably get some side eyes but who cares if you are happy with your choice.  With that being said you asked for opinions so I will give mine

Scout -kinda makes me think of a dog 

Wren- my favorite of your names. I actually think it is a very pretty name

Nico- Boy

Nash- boy and a nn

Lennox-  definitly nms but better then some of the other choices

Arlo- boy

Rhiannon- trying to be cool and name her after Rhianna 

Remy-  That is my friends dogs name

Imogen-  old fashioned southern woman name. its pretty 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I think it's good to take people's feedback as a clue that something might be amiss, and then research for yourself if there is an issue with your name choice (for example, is it a made-up spelling, is it really a boy's name). 

I do like your list, though!

Love for a girl: Wren, Nico as a nn for Nicole/Nicolette/Nicoletta, Rhiannon, Imogen

Like for a boy: Arlo, Remy

Dislike as a name: Nash, Lennox, Scout (this is just a nn from literature)

January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    Agree with PPs. Most of these make me sad - especially Nash.. just, ug.

Wren has always been a GP of mine and I love Imogen.

You mentioned Wicklow being a favorite town in Ireland (which as a name, I dislike). My DD's name (Adair) is inspired by Adare, Ireland and is also considered a unisex name with masculine roots, so there's one to consider.

• Options
    It's already been said but strong, uncommon female names do exist-- and they will serve your DD far better in the long run.

I loooove Imogen! Other thoughts:
    Cleo
    Sage
    Sloane
    Greer
    Zara
    Xanthe
    Oona
    Beatrix
  • Options
    I like Wren and Remy the most out of that list for a girl.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!

@joy2611 The name Scout is actually a contender for us because it is a family name of my DH and not because of TKAM, so symbolism is not in play here. Side note, I definitely understood all symbolism in TKAM... (literature major).

@mauibliss I know that people can easily find me, that is not a problem for me! My career is based on strangers being able to find me/the company I work for easily on social media and through search engines. I know I'm breaking internet safety rule #1  ;)

@blueridge8 I love your suggestion for Adair, and I love the significance behind it! Nash is actually on our list because it was the name of a small toy store in Cork that we fell in love with. Obviously we have a serious connection to Ireland.. DH is from Ireland and all his family is there.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I completely understand that it is upsetting to hear that your favorite name is not generally liked. If it were one or two people, I would say just brush it off. But when the consensus among others (who represent the people in your area) is negative, I would really reconsider.

Why do you feel like classic feminine names are not strong enough for a daughter? Amelia, Rosa, Diana, Elizabeth, Victoria, Catherine, Emily, Harriet, Margaret... these are the names of women who moved mountains and are the strongest in our history. I think when you say that it takes a male name to depict a strong woman, it says a lot about what you think about women in general. 

At any rate, I really dislike Scout, Nico, Nash, Lennox, and Arlo for a girl. I dislike all of them for boys too, but especially for a girl. I love Wren and Imogen. I like Remy fine, but would prefer it as a nickname. Rhiannon is fine too, just outdated. Wren is by far my favorite on your list, and I consider it very feminine while still being smart and strong sounding.

One you might consider: Romilly ("Romy""Millie")
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I don't mind Wren from your list, though none of those names are really my style. Arlo is really masculine to me, what about Harlow instead? Still quirky but seems more feminine.
  • Options

@bananalettuce I used the word "strong" in my original post for lack of finding a better word to describe the names I like. I am not in pursuit of a "strong" name, and I fully realize that a woman is strong despite her name. For me, one has nothing to do with the other... I simply like the sound of these short names and have noticed that I tend to like names where there are few vowels.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions for strong female names, but I'm not going for "strong female". I'm going for a name that I like the sound of and unfortunately none of those fit the bill :(

I really do thank you for being respectful and diplomatic, and trying to help me where I'm obviously conflicted!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1. It's your child and your decision. But how many times have your turned your nose up at someone's name? That's what people are going to be doing to you and her for ever.
    2. I don't care for any of the names you posted. I don't see them as girl names except for Rhiannon and I guess Imogen which I hear is a girl name but I've never come across it anywhere except here.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    I *love* Rhiannon and Imogen.

Wren is okay.

Some of those are not names I'd consider options for a girl.

Married since August 2012

Baby #1 ~ DS ~ May 2014

Baby #2 ~ Due April 2016

• Options
    I understand classic/frilly names are not for everyone. PPs mention not wanting to be another Ava, Maddie etc why is it an either/or? You can be unquie or have an edge with an actual female name. OP, I like imogen from your list.
  • Options
    My favorite from your list is Wren. Other suggestions, Sloane and Quinn. Good luck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I really like Wren! Wasn't that a character on Even Stevens? Or some other Disney channel show... Anyway, I recall liking both the character and her name :)
  • Options
    I'm a fan of unisex names, DD is Quinn and this next little girl will be Blair, 
    We are not telling many people our name choice because we cant be arsed with the comments and that would be the case if we were calling her Ava or Sally, Purely because everyone has an opinion and you can never please everyone. 
    Your child your choice.
    I do think that the names on your list are either for a boy or a girl and don't appear to be very unisex but i guess that is personal opinion, II have had a few people i have told our name choice to already say isn't that a boys name? and i have only ever come across females name Blair.
    My taste in names is a little different to most people i know so i know no matter what we chose there would be someone with something to say about it so we just ignore it and go with our heart. Here is the short list we got down to before settling on Blair
    Camryn, Caris,
    Etta, Blair, Sonny, Fern, Darby, Eris, Triss, Dexee, Everly, Sren (se-rehn), Delta, Rayne, Reese, Rhea, Briar, Bria, Ellis, Jacey, Bevan, Calen,

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Op- I like most of your names. 
    I love Scout and have a friend who named their now 7 year old this. 
    I like Remy as nn and know two very cute Remington's who are girls and go by Remy.
     Love love Wren. 
    I'm not a huge fan of Imogen or Rhiannon. Just NMS. 
    Nash and Lennox are cute but do sound more masculine. I have heard Lennon for a girl and love it. 
    Good luck! At the end of the day you are the one who names your baby and don't let other's opinions sway you too much. It's your call. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"