October 2013 Moms

Can we discuss blankets in the crib?

I would say a good majority of our Wolf Cubs are 1yrs old now. I believe AAP says to wait until they are 1 to use a blanket.

What is everyone doing. I'm still a little gun shy, but I live in ND and soon it will be cold. Her room has no carpet and it runs about 8 to 10 degrees cooler than the hallway where our thermostat is.

We had a child death in the family at 11 months from SIDS, so I am more weary. Yes I know technically if they die from suffocation that is not SIDS, but blankets in the crib raises the risk of SIDS so the argument will not work on my anxious prone mind.

So what is O13 doing? I've put a lovie and teddy bear just to see if she knows to keep it away from her face before she falls asleep, so far so good. However, I still have this irrational fear.

Is there blankets that we should avoid because they are not as breathable? Does it matter anymore can @sooner1981‌ (I hope that's the right sooner) Sooner me and make me feel better...haha
April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
imageimageimage     
imageimage

Re: Can we discuss blankets in the crib?

• My kid still rolls all around his crib like an alligator all night long, so I'm going to wait. He does have a space heater in his room, it has temperature settings so it shuts off when it gets to 70 degrees in the room, and it's one of the 'cool' ones that doesn't get hot to the touch and shuts off if it tips over.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I don't know if I am much help. We don't use a blanket until around 18 months. Until then, we dress in long-sleeves pajamas (fleece in the winter) and the fleece halo sleep sacks that go to size 2t. My two year old wore a sleep sack every night until she was over 2, as it was just much more likely to stay on her (and not over her face) than a blanket.

Have you checked out sleep sacks?
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a blanket in the bed and we only cover DS's butt and legs with it. 9/10 he crawls out from under it anyway. We have been using one for several months now and he never had a problem. It is a fairly thin blanket so I don't worry about it. Although at first we did use some crochet blankets people made us because they had lots of holes in them.
  • Sleep sacks are wonderful things. I think we also use them until 18mo or 2yr. They still move around too much to stay properly under a regular blanket, anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No blankets here at night. I do live in Arizona, so it's a non-issue.

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• I use the A&A cozy wearable blanket over a onesie. They are nice and thick but very breathable. Also if it's really cold I will cover her with an additional muslin blanket. I don't want her arms getting cold.

Also in favor of A+A sleeping bags. It does get chilly here but she seems cozy in them. I put her in a hat, socks and pjs too. I don't want to rock the boat if its working.

• I don't know if I am much help. We don't use a blanket until around 18 months. Until then, we dress in long-sleeves pajamas (fleece in the winter) and the fleece halo sleep sacks that go to size 2t. My two year old wore a sleep sack every night until she was over 2, as it was just much more likely to stay on her (and not over her face) than a blanket.

Have you checked out sleep sacks?

Maybe a sleep sack with the feet open would work. That or that space heater @sleepy33 suggested sounds good.
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• She is a tummy sleeper and doesn't move a whole lot in her sleep, but when she wakes up she moves around quite a bit.
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• There are cool sleep sacks (we got one off zulily and I can't remember the brand) that go up to 3t and they actually have feet holes so baby/toddler can walk around before bed and then you just put their feet back up into the blanket part if you want to keep them warmer at night (but they can still worm their feet back our through the holes if they want or if they get hot).
  • I don't use a blanket yet and she sleeps w her lovey. While I was away I noticed they put a blanket in her crib ... I was a bit surprised. Had I known I would have put that in my list as a no no. Thankfully she did well .. But I really don't plan to just yet.
    < image
  • We co sleep. So there is a blanket in bed, but she is not a fan of them. It does run cooler in our room since we are one of the ones furthest from the heater and we have a sliding door in our room. She sleeps in a footed sleeper. I think she will be fine (I live in Mid Michigan). If not, I have a knit blanket that is not that much larger than she is that I can give her.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • edited October 2014
    We use this sleep sack. He walks in it fine.
  • With my DD, I just put her in fleece footie jammies with a onesie under it and I think she stayed warm. Chubby butt hasn't fit one piece pajamas since he was 4 mo old. I started giving him a small crocheted blanket a few months ago. I put it over him, but he ends up just snuggling it. At least I feel like I'm trying to cover him and all the holes not it make me less nervous.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • With my DD, I just put her in fleece footie jammies with a onesie under it and I think she stayed warm. Chubby butt hasn't fit one piece pajamas since he was 4 mo old. I started giving him a small crocheted blanket a few months ago. I put it over him, but he ends up just snuggling it. At least I feel like I'm trying to cover him and all the holes not it make me less nervous.

i use the same kind of blanket. It makes me less nervousnervous because of all the holes.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• DS is still all over his crib all night long and sleeps with a knitted blanket one of my friends made for him. It is fairly thick so I don't think it would easily wrap around anything, but also has holes so he would be able to breath with it over his face. Even when he kicks it off he will snuggle with it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We haven't used a blanket, but now that it is getting colder, I plan to use one soon.  DD does use one at daycare, though.

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• Dd has had a blanket for a few months. She usually rolls out of it by morning.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• A&A sleep sacks or muslin & crochet blankets here. No walking issues when in the sleep sack as far as being in the crib. When we use blankets they are usually kicked off by morning. He also uses a muslin blanket at daycare for naps.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Check out the Gro Bags. They come in 4 weights (togs). I used them from the start. Beau can stand up and pace his crib and DD can easily walk in them. We mainly use the 2.5 tog in the winter and it keeps them plenty warm with just regular PJs underneath. Beau doesn't use a blanket yet because he just moves around too much but DD has been using one since well before a year old.

I should add that I used a blanket for Beau before he could roll (with the sleep sack on) but as soon as he became more mobile I took it out. I'm going to wait and see how cold this winter is. I have a hard time heating their room without it overheating. If it gets too cold I'll have to reevaluate whether or not he should get a blanket.

• We just bought the Aden + Anais dream blanket. He does move around in his crib a lot so not sure how well it will work, but we'll try. If not, I'll look at the sleep sacks again that have zippers on the bottom (or places for their feet).
  • The A&A dream blanket is pretty much the most amazing thing on the planet. Holy moly. 

I think both of my kids ended up with blankets around a year and actually started sleeping better once they had something to snuggle. If you're nervous, start with a small blanket and go from there. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• I will have to look up this dream blanket. I tried to give her a quilt last night, but she turned around and was playing on top of it. I promptly removed it!
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"