February 2013 Moms

Another bad mommy moment....

I feel like I need to tell this here. Because to say this out loud just... No words.

DD was sleeping in so DS and I had a lovely morning to ourselves. I went into the kitchen to make him breakfast, which was only reheating oatmeal (for 45 seconds). I guess I have just gotten so used to letting him do his thing in another room, I didn't think twice than to check up on him here and there. So of course, I take his oatmeal out of the microwave, and walk out to talk to him and he is standing there. There's (yuck, this is gross) one of those bolt covers from the toilet on the floor right in a smile pile of vomit. So basically, he was choking. I have no clue how long he was choking for, but it was enough to make him throw up. And he was so quiet about it (which, again, gives me the extent of the trouble he was having). He looked at me and said "uh-oh". His guardian angels were there to do what I wasn't. I mean, the thing is too big to go down his throat, so there is that... But it still creeps me out that he could have been choking and I had no clue. 

I don't think I can even tell DH about this. He's an EMT and I can just hear him going up one side of me and down the other. I already feel like a shitty mom from this. Normally, I don't let this bother me, and if I had been in the room to see it happen, it wouldn't be as big of a deal to me. But not knowing, and not being there and not knowing he needed help and I wasn't there is just getting me. 

Complacency is more dangerous than I realized. 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Another bad mommy moment....

• Oh, I'm sorry :( That is scary. But honestly, don't beat yourself up over it. Toddlers are so, so hard with stuff like this. You would literally have to watch him every single second to ensure that he never ever got into anything that he wasn't supposed to, and that's just not possible. I understand how you feel though. I've felt that same way when DD got hurt or almost got hurt and it would have been preventable if I was more vigilant. But we're human too. We get distracted and make mistakes. I'm glad he's okay!! 
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I am so sorry you had such a scare :( try not to be too hard on yourself, these things happen and it isn't anyone's fault.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Oh I am so sorry that is scary!!!! Last year this happened with a little jingle bell that was attached to a Christmas decoration, I saw him swirling something in his mouth and ran over....I about flipped out. Felt massive guilt. It happens and like @kleigh926 said, we are human and cannot watch him every single second. I am glad he is ok!
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • What a scary experience. I'm glad he is okay! And you're a good mom - you had the insight and quick thinking to realize that he was choking. These situations could happen to anyone, so don't be too hard on yourself.
  • Hugs!! How scary. But if it makes you feel better, E almost choked on one of those things just a couple of weeks ago AND I WAS RIGHT NEXT TO HIM. I was trying to straighten my hair and he started flailing into me. It took me about three second to realize he had something in his mouth and I pounded his back, thinking it was toilet paper. It wasn't. :(
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Hugs to you mama. Glad everyone is physically ok. Ugh, why do LOs need to be so emotionally taxing on us?
  • I had the almost the same thing happened to my DS. He was 5 and choked on a piece of candy. DH and I were in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner. He finally got it up enough to make some noise which prompted us to check on him. It was scary as hell. All I kept thinking was of he didn't make that little noise, I would have kept right on doing dishes. BTW he's perfectly fine. I'm still traumatized

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Don't beat yourself up, it could seriously happen to any of us.  A few weeks ago I forgot to strap DS into his stroller and he ran out into an intersection while I was daydreaming.  It still haunts me, and I know how you feel about being a shitty mom. 

FTR I haven't told DH either, nor will I ever  tell him.  give your nuggets a big hug tonight.

• That's so scary! I'm glad he's okay and as pp said it could happen to any of us.
  • @Meggiemuggins‌ we Canadians represent... I recall reading that a while back with your LB. I would have shit my pants! I appreciate the reassurance from all you ladies. I really needed it. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Don't beat yourself up. DS put a PowerAide cap in his mouth and got it wedge in there and he was gagging and choking. I was standing right there and even I had a hard time getting it out of his mouth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"