June 2014 Moms

NBR: Mom's on a budget- Wedding gift advice? (SS warning)

MrsRahlMrsRahl member
edited October 2014 in June 2014 Moms
So for you SAHM/Mom's on a budget out there, I have a question for you. I am not working and SAHM, we have a combined checking and it has worked for us like that for years even before we got married, so that isn't the issue.  I'm in a wedding and throughout I've had to explain multiple times to the bride that we are on a tight monthly budget with little room for out of the ordinary expenses. I also explained we are in a lot of debt from LO's hospital bills (about 3k).  We discussed it before I accepted, and I agreed to a set amount of things like hair, dress, shower, etc. I wanted to be up front and fair to her.   So to make a long story short, shes added crazy things like upping the bridal shower budget to $250 each (which is over and I paid) adding makeup to be done ($60) not to mention updos at a place that are $80.  Point is I'm tapped out and have not given her any grief up until this point. So my REAL question is, how much would you give as a cash gift as a couple after all of this?  I thought about just buying something off of her registry and using a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon to save a little.  What would you ladies do/give? What is fair when you're in a wedding or on a tight budget?

ETA: Sorry for being a SS here! 
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: NBR: Mom's on a budget- Wedding gift advice? (SS warning)

• tdmrs said:

Cash gift? Never heard of that. I would just get something off the registry that is in your price range.

Most people give money as gifts for weddings. That's what I mean by cash gift :) do you not do that where you're from? (Just know there's ladies from all over the world on here :) )
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd buy something off her registry that you can afford and call it a day. Cash gifts tend to be regional and aren't necessary where I am.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Where I live gifts at the wedding are out of the norm, if you give one at the shower one isn't expected at the wedding. According to etiquette sites this is correct, I am from the North and I live in Texas, and had never heard of this before my wedding.

My answer: if it were me I'd do a cheap(in your budget) registry gift.
  • I would give what you can afford from the registry, that's why it's there. If the norm is cash, and she's expecting a cash gift from you, I would also anticipate her being upset with you, as it sounds like she's heading into bridezilla territory.

You are being generous and hopefully she will be appreciative of the time and money you are putting into her wedding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would give off the registry (and use a coupon) in that situation. Are you close with any of the other bridesmaids? They might be feeling similarly and it might be an option to do a joint or group gift (or if you've got other good friends that are invited). It would depend on your group dynamic, but my group of 7 girlfriends does this and it's been awesome. Everyone gives what they can afford/are comfortable with and one person takes charge in buying a larger gift off the registry (we've done everyday china, pots and pans and one of those fancy digital cameras for different brides). We've also done this with another group of friends to buy a grill for the bride and groom.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Also I agree she's sounding like a Bridezilla. Is it an option for you to do your own makeup or hair? I'm fairly untalented hair wise and I've had good luck doing simple updos based on YouTube tutorials and if I were in a wedding could probably swing something more elaborate if I took the time to practice in advance.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • Hmm. Interesting everyone's responses! I'm from PA and the norm here is a shower gift and a cash gift for the wedding of the equivalent of the plate (food cost). So usually $50 minimum to $100 per couple, but this isn't a hard rule. I wish we lived where only a shower gift was necessary! She's been super nice about everything but adding things and has expensive taste. The MOH is the real issue for me. But that's a while other story!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited October 2014

Also I agree she's sounding like a Bridezilla. Is it an option for you to do your own makeup or hair? I'm fairly untalented hair wise and I've had good luck doing simple updos based on YouTube tutorials and if I were in a wedding could probably swing something more elaborate if I took the time to practice in advance.

I got her to agree to let me do my own nails but she wants our hair retro 40s look. She is also being a real PITA with my baby and breastfeeding schedule around the hair and makeup appointment so doing my own is out.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Ettiquette wise you have a year to get the couple a wedding gift. Since she knows you're on a tight budget I'd just be honest with her and tell her: with all the added expenses I wasn't able to get you a gift, but it's coming!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • @saltypearl‌ I know what you're saying. I had a lot of guests give no gift and no card. At least give a card!

@Miss Renee‌ that's crazy! Why did you pay for their dresses? And they got you no gift? Craziness!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I like the idea of the B n B coupon. You can also hunt Homegoods/similar stores for items that you found helpful or important at the start of your marriage. Those times when I've been unable to stick to the registry for budget purposes, I look for a gift that I found to have meaning.

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
  • Just clarifying - not that it really a matters, but here (west coast) a gift from the registry is usually expected at the shower and the wedding.
  • @Hairstylist16‌ love the crafting idea. I've seen a lot of people do that, tons of Pinterest ideas
  • mullenem said:

I too love the craft idea.  Or find something on etsy that they would like, like a print, and frame it (just get a standard size and buy a frame at Michaels, don't have it professionally framed or anything). 

Piggybacking off of this, for our wedding one of my best friends got us a custom, hand drawn map from Etsy and framed it. It's awesome and shows where we met, where we got engaged, where our wedding was and the reception with these sketches of the specific places. Kind of hard to describe without a picture but we love it and have it hanging up across from our frames wedding pictures- and I know she had a tight budget at the time. I hadn't thought to mention it before but I love all the craft suggestions!
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • @hairstylist16 I'd love to get my hair done someplace else because my mother is a hairdresser!! Unfortunately though she's insisting we don't leave her side and all do everything together to be on her schedule. Trust me I'm about to lose it at this point because I ebf and just found out my kid has a milk protein intolerance and all my stored milk up until this point is not from a dairy free diet. So now I have to pump like a crazy person to have enough by Saturday!

Unfortunately because I waited this long, crafting probably won't happen with little one and work. :( but those are some good ideas! I should have just not accepted to be in this wedding in the first place. I'm seriously an idiot and kicking myself. To add, she's allowing other kids to her wedding but not mine.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • ElTrain5ElTrain5 member
    edited October 2014
    My bridesmaids didn't get me a gift.  Which was fine, the dresses and everything were more than enough financial commitment by my thinking.  They also didn't get me a card though, that hurt.
    This was us.  I think a nice heartfelt card is more than appropriate.  Presuming that you gave her a shower gift already. 

ETA: Just saw the "allowing other kids but not mine".  Dude, you're breastfeeding.....if she doesn't understand that, she's being a really crappy friend by allowing other kids and not yours.  Just my opinion, but I think that's really rude of her.

• ElTrain5ElTrain5 member
    edited October 2014
    Also, you sound like you've been a pretty amazing bridesmaid, I mean  you've already gone over your budget to accommodate her requests, so I wouldn't worry about the gift part at all.  To put it in perspective, I had a bridesmaid of mine email me the other day and ask if it was "OK if she wore her dress from my wedding to an 'Ugly Bridesmaid Dress Party'".  Fucking ouch yo.... (maybe it wouldn't have been so ugly if you had, ya know...hemmed it...or ironed it....or not insisted on putting a sash on it....) Here's a picture of the "ugly dress"...and yes, that is my mother trying to steam it...while she's wearing it...because it was that wrinkled. image

• Ya, I change my answer. You have a baby with a medical condition (milk intolerance). That trumps all. You get to feed your baby. If you wanted, you could bring your baby with you to get your hair done or have your mom do it. I would tell her how it's going to be. She knows you have a baby. This is just crazy to me.
  • I was a bridesmaid she I was I college and on a tight budget. I gave the couple a potted rose bush with a nice note about planting it at their house. Reminding them of their wedding and love (blah blah blah). It was budget friendly, easy to do, and thoughtful. She seemed happy with this gift, but sounds like a much more considerate person than your friend sounds like.
  • mullenem said:

@ElTrain5 - FWIW, I don't find that dress ugly at all, even with the sash...

Agreed!

image        image

• lest12 said:

mullenem said:

@ElTrain5 - FWIW, I don't find that dress ugly at all, even with the sash...

Agreed!
    Also agree, not ugly.
  • MrsRahl said:

@hairstylist16 I'd love to get my hair done someplace else because my mother is a hairdresser!! Unfortunately though she's insisting we don't leave her side and all do everything together to be on her schedule. Trust me I'm about to lose it at this point because I ebf and just found out my kid has a milk protein intolerance and all my stored milk up until this point is not from a dairy free diet. So now I have to pump like a crazy person to have enough by Saturday!

Unfortunately because I waited this long, crafting probably won't happen with little one and work. :( but those are some good ideas! I should have just not accepted to be in this wedding in the first place. I'm seriously an idiot and kicking myself. To add, she's allowing other kids to her wedding but not mine.

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry she's being such a bridezilla. Please oh please don't get her a gift. I think you have already gone above and beyond in the gift department and I would still bring your baby with you to all hair and makeup appts. Your lo trumps her big day. Being a bride doesn't mean the world revolves around her. Sending creepy internet hugs :)
  • Is there any chance your mom can do your hair before you show up to meet them? I know that'd make for an extra long day but its a thought. Also don't feel compelled to have the gift by Saturday- like someone else pointed out you have up to a year to give a gift. We had gifts arrive while on our honeymoon, NBD. 
    You can't really insist that your baby be brought to the wedding. Unfortunately, as crappy as it is, she does have the right to decide who to invite. Its inappropriate in my mind to say that a baby that young can't be there when others can but I'm going to guess that either the other babies are family and you're getting screwed as a friend or (and this is my stronger suspicion) that she doesn't want you focusing on anything but her. I say that since you said she doesn't want you to "leave her side".
    You're right that you probably shouldn't have agreed to be in the wedding, but thats not going to change whats happening now. You agreed with the best of intentions and it sounds like she knew quite well that you'd have a baby at this point. Her behavior is on her and, honestly, if this is how she's behaving I suspect she'd have been just as Bridezillaish if you weren't a mom, she'd just find a different thing to be demanding over. 
    Hang in there, it will be behind you soon. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"