Breastfeeding
Options

Stopping BF, Prone to Mastitis

Hi friends,
Need tips on how/when to stop BF.  I am ready to stop.  In two months I've dealt with 2 bouts of mastitis, sore nipples, bleeding nipples, a tongue tie/frenotomy, I've tried lactation consultants, breast pump, you name it.  I'm on antibiotics for my current case of mastitis. Should I stop while still on meds (after I've cleared the infected blockage which is a whole other issue. I can't get it out.)? I'm worried about getting it again when I stop... I can't afford to miss work because of mastitis and I'm going back in 2 weeks so... it's kind of now or never.  Please don't make me feel guilty about stopping because I already feel pretty horrible about it. 

Sarah

Re: Stopping BF, Prone to Mastitis

• Options
    Thank you for the advice.  I was pumping but stopped recently.  Currently only nursing so I will try to drop a session during the day and then go from there. I'm just worried because I clog so easily and I don't want to go through this for a third time :(
  • Options
    Please do not feel guilty for one second. Your baby needs a healthy and happy mom more than it needs anything else. Breast feeding is great as long as it's working for everyone involved. But remember at the end of the day it's just food. There are other ways to nourish your baby. Plenty of happy, healthy, and strong babies drink formula. Good luck with the transition.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks guys :) I appreciate the kind words.  So... I haven't been able to find Lecithin? What is it called on the shelf? I've looked at Wegmans and Target but wondering if I need to go to GNC?
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend taking lecithin. I had pretty much constant plugged ducts and could tell a difference after just a day on the lecithin. I got mine at CVS.
  • Options
    I will check those places.  I'm terrified of getting mastitis AGAIN while I'm trying to quit.... Arrrggh.  It's a crap shoot about what to do because LO's latch is not great.  So I'm damned if I quit cold turkey and I'm damned if I don't. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"