September 2012 Moms

Other names

DH is having trouble with my name Edith (Edie) Marilyn for DD2.

I love names from the late 1800s/early 1900s. Middle name really needs to be Marilyn (after my grandma). What pairs well with Winnie.Sue?

I like Gertie (Gertrude), Aggie (Agnes), Bea (Beatrice) but DH says major barf to those haha.

I even like Rose Marilyn, nn Rosie.

Other ideas?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green

Re: Other names

• Loading the player...
  • I love Rose, Rosemary, Rosemarie... Rosemary was my grandma, so it'll always be a special name to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • I like Rosie a lot other names that are sort of similar that I love are Sylvia (sylvie), Greta, and Margo.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just looking at this list...
    https://www.momrecommended.com/Baby_Names/Turn_of_the_Century_Popular_Baby_Girl_Names.shtml

I like Amelia the best.

Amelia Marilyn

Winnie & Amelia...

Both sound nice IMO

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have a friend that has a daughter named Cordelia. They call her Coco and she goes Cora at school.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I have a friend named Cloetta and she goes by Cloe.  It sounds like clove without the v.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• There are some great ones here - thank you! Winnie isn't a nn, we just weren't in love with Winifred or Gwendolyn. So I am open to naming #2 the nn version of a name. I worry about people calling Edie "Eddie" instead of "Edy". I love the nn Pipi.

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    edited October 2014
    There are some great ones here - thank you! Winnie isn't a nn, we just weren't in love with Winifred or Gwendolyn. So I am open to naming #2 the nn version of a name. I worry about people calling Edie "Eddie" instead of "Edy". I love the nn Pipi.
    I think most people will know it is "Edy" but when you glance at a resume, you don't know for sure.

And because Louis is off my list now, I will throw out Louise/Louisa nn LuLu or Lula. Or Winnie and Wizza! Lol, j/k don't do that.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Amelia and Penelope are both on our short list for a girl. We would do Penny or Poppy for the nickname with Penelope.

I kind of like Dorothy nn Dot/Dottie.

On your list, Harriet nn Hattie is adorable. Reminds me of Parenthood.

Stella

• There are some great ones here - thank you! Winnie isn't a nn, we just weren't in love with Winifred or Gwendolyn. So I am open to naming #2 the nn version of a name. I worry about people calling Edie "Eddie" instead of "Edy". I love the nn Pipi.

I'd definitely say it Edy and I've never seen an Edie before.
  • Josephine nn Josie makes me swoon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hmp1 said:

Winnie isn't a nickname, right. So why not go with the "nn" you like instead of forcing the full name? Edie is adorable and I kind of love that on paper it looks gender neutral.
    I like this idea. Do the nn as the legal name.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Evelyn/Evie made my last list. I love it!!!!! Shout out to @PenelopePond‌ for making me squeal with excitement over the name Dottie. That is adorable. I also love Hattie. Although I like Edie the most and Rosie is awesome. I want another baby just so I can use one of these names. I'm a baby hoarder.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Well I'm obviously in favor of the name Penny.

I think our lists are probably pretty similar...

I loved the name Emmaline, but Emma was pretty popular in our social circle, so I dumped it in favor of Rosaline. Beatrice was on our list (although my husband vetoed it because he had a rabbit named Beatrice) as was Eleanor (or Lenore). Caroline I liked a lot. Um, let's see...Mallory was a close one. And Hazel. I'm sure there are more...
  • I kinda love the mom at play group who has two little girls, Ramona and Ruby. I think either one would go well with Winnie! Or, ya know, Quinn, nn Quinnie. Who wouldn't love Quinnie and Winnie?!?!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love old-fashioned names!  

Some ideas...

Ruby
    Georgia/Georgianna (Georgie)
    Hortensia 
    Mabel
    Jeannine (my aunt's name...she's 80)
    Flossie (the 101 year old at my church who is awesome)
    Clara
    Effie 
    Dinah (I got this one from a 19th century whaling song about prostitutes....does that ruin it?)
    Nell/Nellie
    Aster/Esther
    Marjory/Margery (Marge is kinda barf as a nickname, but Geri or Em?)

Most of these aren't 1800s-early 1900s. Honestly, a lot of people during that period were Marys and Elizabeths and Annes--a lot of the "old fashioned' names we think of are actually later, like late Victorian era to 1920s.  Is it really the specific time period you love, or the feel of vintage names from any era?
  • I love the 1904 (i think?) top 100 SSN name database list. I can't remember if that's the exact year I found Winnie's name on... I fished them all up to 1915 and really loved the feel of the names.

• I think there are a good 5-10 on here that I like so I am once again excited about naming this doofus!

• https://nameberry.com/blog/vintage-girls-names-the-lost-names-of-1910

There's a lot of good names on there. I like Della, Callie, and Rosetta.
  • Ooh. I just saw an Immogene on IG.
  • Sorry. I'll never get to give a girl a name (probably).
  • I don't know what Era I'm in but I've always liked Ginny (Virginia).

But then Ginny and Winnie. I really love Edie.

No help.

• edited October 2014

Josephine nn Josie makes me swoon!

This was my suggestion, too. And I didn't read through all the responses, so these may be duplicates

Evelyn nn Evie (though wouldn't go so great w Marilyn)
    Frances nn Frankie
    Ellen nn Nell

And my absolute fav, though probably not from the right era, Zelda nn Elle

• mnkate said:

If Augs had been a girl, he would have been Agatha. Obviously now I'll never be able to use that name ;0)

If Jasper had been a girl, he would've been Vesper. We kicked ourselves for a few months once we found out Briar was a girl, because we were really bummed we couldn't use the name. Jasper and vesper? No go.

• Josephine nn Josie makes me swoon!
    YES! Josie is one of my favorite names. Can't believe I initially forgot it.

• What about Charlene nn Charlie? Too trendy?

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • I'm super late to the game but I love Hattie, Adeline, Corrine and Greer. I also like hmp's idea of going with the nn instead of a "proper" name Edie is adorable.

• Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned....Rosalie.  This was our name if baby #2 was a girl. 

• I love the 1904 (i think?) top 100 SSN name database list. I can't remember if that's the exact year I found Winnie's name on... I fished them all up to 1915 and really loved the feel of the names.
    The SSN lists are awesome for this!  Also--creeper alert--old cemeteries.  There's an old cemetery in our town with lots of people who lived during those years.
  • JUNE!!!!! That is my new favorite. @origamipoppy‌ Bravo. I love it. I need to have another child now.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • jenndub said:
    JUNE!!!!! That is my new favorite. @origamipoppy‌ Bravo. I love it. I need to have another child now.
    I love June and May.  They make great middle names, too.  
  • A girlfriend of mine had a baby a few months back and named her Rosalie.  I love it.  They don't call her Rosie, just Rosalie.  Which I think goes wonderfully with Winnie. :-)

Congrats on #2 being a girl!  I missed that one!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• jessk86 said:
    This was my suggestion, too. And I didn't read through all the responses, so these may be duplicates Evelyn nn Evie (though wouldn't go so great w Marilyn) Frances nn Frankie Ellen nn Nell And my absolute fav, though probably not from the right era, Zelda nn Elle

:x

• danabsd said:
    jessk86 said:
    This was my suggestion, too. And I didn't read through all the responses, so these may be duplicates Evelyn nn Evie (though wouldn't go so great w Marilyn) Frances nn Frankie Ellen nn Nell And my absolute fav, though probably not from the right era, Zelda nn Elle

:x
    This was my #1 choice.  I have always been obsessed with the names Frankie, Joey, and Charlie for a girl.  But mostly Frankie.  DH says NOOO, haha.  But Frances Marilyn is freaking adorable.  Frankie and Winnie **swoon**

• A girlfriend of mine had a baby a few months back and named her Rosalie.  I love it.  They don't call her Rosie, just Rosalie.  Which I think goes wonderfully with Winnie. :-)

Congrats on #2 being a girl!  I missed that one!
    That is pretty darn cute!  And thank you - I was surprised because this pregnancy is so nice compared to the one with W.  I definitely thought boy, but am thrilled with another little lady. 

• For a stand alone name, I think I would spell it Pippi.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"