C-sections

Scheduled C: how close to due date can you go?

How close to due date does your doctor like to schedule? I know not earlier than 39 weeks, but what's the latest/closest to 40?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Scheduled C: how close to due date can you go?

• I'm pretty sure you could ask them to schedule it for your actual due date if it's so important to you and if the doc does not object due to risk factors. My first was at exactly 39w (breech) and so will be this one (elective). When they called me to schedule, they were giving me some later dates but I didn't want to change plans that were already in place. Grand scheme of things the 1 week difference doesn't make a difference. Many babies are naturally born 1-2 weeks early. I have a lot of friends who went into spontaneous labor much earlier than their due date.
  • jesselayne8jesselayne8 member
    edited October 2014
    My second was scheduled for 3 days past my due date but I was trying to VBAC.  I am going to ask for 40wk or 40+1 for #3.  

Edit: I reread the question and i am guessing most Drs "like" 39wks.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB said they will schedule my section some time during my 39th week but not passed 40 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 39 weeks exactly for me. We requested that date because it is DD4 5th birthday.
  • My doctor only did c-sections on specific dates.

I could have gone with another person in his practice and picked my date, but he was only in the hospital on Wednesdays. So I was scheduled for the Wednesday before my due date. He would have let me take the Wednesday after my due date if I wanted.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • With ds#2 my scheduled C-section was 39w5d

This time it is scheduled for 39w6d

My OB will schedule them anywhere in your 39th week (other than weekend days).

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Mine was schedule at 39 weeks. I agree with PP it depends on your situation.
  • My Dr has OR privileges on Wednesday unless it's an emergency so it's whatever Wednesday comes once you hit 39 weeks.
  • My Dr has OR privileges on Wednesday unless it's an emergency so it's whatever Wednesday comes once you hit 39 weeks.
  • It sounds like this isn't typical, but our office is okay with scheduling at 41 weeks.
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • NicoleWINicoleWI member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks, all. I am scheduled for 1/6 but considering changing to 1/8 if my doctor will do it, but that's only a day before my due date. I'm worried about going into labor, even though my two non-c-section babies were not early. She generally only does surgery on Tues & Thurs.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My office schedules at 39 weeks
  • Mine is scheduled for 39 weeks. My OB said that that's just when she likes to do her csections to try and avoid the possibility of going into labor.
  • With my first scheduled section, it was scheduled right at 40w. I made it to my due date. With my second, it was tentatively scheduled for 39w, but he came earlier. My OB won't do any earlier than 39 weeks, unless there is an issue. The final delivery dates are determined by her schedule between 39-40 weeks.

That being said, my next will be at 37 weeks due to some uterine issues they observed at my last section.
  • My office wants in the 39th week.

I did convince them to do 40w1d with DD#3 since they had moved her EDD up by 9 days and I wasn't sure about going much sooner risking her health.

But the other three kids were 39w3d and 39w4d :-)
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Last time my ob would've let me go to 41 weeks before I had my rcs. I was kind of back and fourth on vbac vs. rcs through the entire pregnancy so we decided to just monitor progress and see what happened. I had no cervical progress and hadn't even experienced any contractions by my 40 week appt. She gave me the option of taking another week to wait and see if either labor would start on it's own or I would have significant enough cervical progress to try induction. The other option was to go ahead and schedule the rcs. I took the night to think about it and talk it over with DH. The next day I called and asked for the next available rcs time. I delivered DD2 via rcs 2 days later (40 weeks 3 days).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB said that at around 37w she would show me her calendar, and I could pick any date/time she had open beginning at 39w. Honestly, with the way they schedule appointments, I might not even make it to the whole scheduling thing, lol. My son was 3 1/2 weeks early, and I have a feeling this one isn't gonna make it to 40w either.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My doctor schedules them for no earlier then 39.3 and no later than 40.3. Unless there is a complication making you need to have it early then obviously it will be scheduled for the earliest the risks of not doing it out weight the risks of doing it. 
  • My first was at 41 weeks exactly.. This second one will be at 39 weeks
  • My doc has planbed for 39 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am having mine around 38 weeks because of difficulty with my last csection and they don't want me to go into labor
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I had mine at 39w4d and wasn't even close to being in labor. (DD1 was born at 41 weeks.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"