May 2014 Moms
Options

Ahhh, sexism & backwards thinking at its finest.

2»

Re: Ahhh, sexism & backwards thinking at its finest.

• Options
    IBackBevo said:

Honestly, I don't see how any of this has to with sexism or taking a step backwards. Was the judge being an ass? Yes. Was he overstepping his boundaries? No.  

This has everything to do with sexism and taking steps backwards.  It has everything to do with how our government and our society: 1) devalues Motherhood/child birth/child rearing and 2) sets unrealistic expectations that mothers are supposed to be back doing their regular activities as soon as they leave the hospital.  The later  isn't good for mother and it isn't good for baby.  It promotes ppd and leads to women beating themselves up if they can't do it all as soon as they step foot out of the hospital while their body is still recovering and they are having to care for a newborn baby.  And it certainly affects the bond between a mother and a baby---a bond that can affect a child well into adulthood.

With respect to the former, America has some of the worst maternity leave laws. I think I read a statistic just the other day that only about 10 percent of women receive some paid maternity leave...that statistic is abhorrent and reflection that we don't value those (i.e. Mothers) who invest in the future of our country. Many other women don't qualify form FMLA and get no leave (paid or unpaid) at all.  Further, we have some of the highest incidences of child-birth (and after birth) related fatalities among first world countries despite having some of the best medical care.  I don't have specific stats, but I would be willing to bet that at least some of that is related to women pushing themselves to do too much too soon and not giving themselves proper time to heal. 

When you make it difficult/impossible for Mothers to work, you lose valuable members of our workforce. It isn't good for our economy or our country as a whole.  And it isn't good for the individual family unit. 

Likewise, when you force women back into the workforce before they are emotionally or physically ready--in a time period when they should be concentrating on healing and bonding with their child--you  fail to invest in our children...in the very future of our country.

So how is all of this relevant to the situation at hand?  Here we have an
    example of a member of our JUDICIARY---a leader in the community by an
    definition of that word--basically perpetuating all of those bad things I
    said above with his outdated views.  In my mind, that is unacceptable
    and something that every mother -- working or not -- should be upset
    about.

Preach.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

#sarcasm

Well that's a productive comment...
    Sorry, I totally agree with you!! I just find it funny that you were being sarcastic and she (maybe?) didn't get it. Thought I'd help out.
    I caught on. I'm not that slow on the uptake.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haha the maybe wasn't for the she - it was that maybe she didn't get it... Oh boy, my words always come off wrong!
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Haha the maybe wasn't for the she - it was that maybe she didn't get it... Oh boy, my words always come off wrong!

No worries!

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    I back Bevo and everything she and @delatl have said. 

And, let's be real here. If this were a man, he wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. And if, for whatever reason, he was, he'd be a hero. No one would question the judge being an asshole. Is that double standard not what sexism is?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"