February 2015 Moms
Options

Gear question: monitors

So I thought about asking this over the weekend but decided to wait until the real people were back.....

Anyway, I'm just looking for any and all input on baby monitors. We have a small house, but will be moving about 3 months after baby. It's unlikely that it'll be a HUGE change in size, but I definitely want the option of range between floors (especially if we end up in a townhouse, which is likely). Video? No video? More than one parent unit? Gimme whatcha got ladies. 
  It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Gear question: monitors

• Options
    Good question, we still have to register for one. I like the idea of video because the nursery will be on a different floor, but they scare me for two reasons: One because of all of those horror stories you hear about people tapping into the video feed and creeping on your baby, and two because I'm a weirdo and I'm convinced my house is haunted...and quite frankly idk if I want to see what there is to see in a room I'm not in (I know, I sound like a complete loony toon). I'm interested to see what these seasoned moms have to say

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

Being able to get out of bed on the first try

• Options
    We have audio only.  Our house has all of the bedrooms clustered together, so video was not necessary.  We have one parent unit that can run on battery or wall adapter.  I would probably get video if I had 2 story house.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and had similar questions. My sister helped me register and she suggested definitely having 2 parenting units because she'd grab it or have one in another room already that she was going to use and it'd be half dead. This way you can always have one charging/charged.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Married 9/10/11 * BFP 6/9/14 * EDD 1/25/15

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    gator26 said:
    ..., and two because I'm a weirdo and I'm convinced my house is haunted...and quite frankly idk if I want to see what there is to see in a room I'm not in ...
    Hmmm... Thought I wanted a video monitor but now I am a little terrified!
    Right?!?! Maybe I'm not totally crazy lol

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

• Options
    We chose one that had the option of using an app on our phones/iPads. We only use secure internet connections either at home, parent homes or offices so we aren't concerned about security as much as others.
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have a Motorola video monitor and like it a lot. Still use it daily with DS. 
  • Options
    gator26 said:
    ..., and two because I'm a weirdo and I'm convinced my house is haunted...and quite frankly idk if I want to see what there is to see in a room I'm not in ...
    Oh, I am not laughing, I can NOT look at the video part of the monitor for too long because I start "seeing things" like shapes moving in the background, and I spook myself out.

I would recommend a video monitor though since it is good to have the visual when needed, and I just turn the screen off as soon as I check on him and keep the audio on (actually I don't even keep the audio on at night since I can hear him from my room if he starts really crying) so I just have the sound bar as a monitor at night.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    We started out with audio only, and really made it work for almost 2 years. I found a really good deal on a foscam and decided to try it out, because sometimes it's hard to say if she's asleep/ in bed/ ect. It's pretty nice. You can set it up so you have to be connected to the same network, or have it set up so you can have access from an external network. We can use our pc's, phones, or iPads to be able to keep an eye on her. I also like that it has the feature that we can talk to her through it. "Get back in bed Hailey!" Is pretty common. Haven't seen any ghosts on it, but with the IR I have seen little flashes floating around- turns out that it's just picking up random dust in the air.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Feb'15 November Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    I loved having a video monitor and will be getting a new one for this LO (the old one was great until DS gave it a bath). We had a Motorola and never had any problems except that the temp gauge on it was wacky. Kids do look super freaky on video monitors, they do get to the age where they creep you out by talking in a random direction in their room as though they are talking to something or someone and, like @bhjones1980 said, the blackness in the background does look like it's moving sometimes.

@racheltherose, I kind of want you to start a new thread so you can tell us about why you think your house is haunted. I've definitely lived in houses that I thought were haunted and am currently trying to stop my brother from buying the scariest house we ever lived in because it was haunted and I felt like it was out to get me.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

@kefttsc which monitor is that one? DH seemed interested in one we could access via our phones.

Motorola has one and Summer Infant has one. We chose the summer infant because it seems easier to add extra monitors for when our babies aren't in the same crib any longer.

Also the Motorola didn't tilt as much as DH wanted it to. This is the ONLY thing he's given a crap about gear wise, so he gets to pick :)
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    gator26 said:
    Right?!?! Maybe I'm not totally crazy lol
    I loved having a video monitor and will be getting a new one for this LO (the old one was great until DS gave it a bath). We had a Motorola and never had any problems except that the temp gauge on it was wacky. Kids do look super freaky on video monitors, they do get to the age where they creep you out by talking in a random direction in their room as though they are talking to something or someone and, like @bhjones1980 said, the blackness in the background does look like it's moving sometimes.

@racheltherose, I kind of want you to start a new thread so you can tell us about why you think your house is haunted. I've definitely lived in houses that I thought were haunted and am currently trying to stop my brother from buying the scariest house we ever lived in because it was haunted and I felt like it was out to get me.
    I kind of love that idea! My old roommates have had more experiences than I have, like humming and distinct footsteps... I just swear I see things out of the corner of my eye all the time!

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

• Options

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Funny story .... We only had an audio monitor (with our 2-story house having two receivers was nice) with our first.  One night I kept periodically hearing this creepy sounding laugh.  I would run in baby's room and the sound was gone and nothing was there.  This happened off and on for over an hour and I was really starting to freak out.  Finally the sound happened when my husband was in the nursery and he figured out a toy  had a low battery and was occasionally laughing except with the dying battery it sounded horrible.

Anyhow, I began to hate that monitor because it was almost too sensitive, every sound made me wonder what was happening or I was waking up when she would sigh it seemed.

This time, I think we are going to get a video monitor.  We have an old, creaky house and I tended to wake the baby when I would sneak into her room. So, I am hoping if I can see her I won't be so tempted to go into the nursery as often. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ok but seriously where do we fall on the "hacking thing." I get it can happen, but....do I care that much? I honestly don't know, I'm not being snarky. I guess I also have a follow up question: do they all have the two-way talk now?? THAT part (a stranger talking to my kid) freaks me out more than them looking at them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ok but seriously where do we fall on the "hacking thing." I get it can happen, but....do I care that much? I honestly don't know, I'm not being snarky. I guess I also have a follow up question: do they all have the two-way talk now?? THAT part (a stranger talking to my kid) freaks me out more than them looking at them. 

No. I can't identify brands or models but I know that there are still some one ways.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We have a video monitor where we can talk to her too. The biggest risk of hacking are those that are connected to wifi (ours is not; it's a closed connection). We very rarely use the sound monitor and only use the video to see if she's asleep or standing up in her crib.
  • Options
    No. I can't identify brands or models but I know that there are still some one ways.
    But is that a dumb FTM thing to *not* want? Like my mom who doesn't want a camera on her cell phone. Mom, that's not a thing anymore. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think the hacking part depends on how the monitor works. I am not worried about anyone hacking ours because we have set up directly on our home network and I know DH has that secure.

• Options
    Linky or brand @misshart00
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    misshart00misshart00 member
    edited October 2014
    I believe it's samsung. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: here's the link. The only problem is that occasionally it'll disconnect and beep, but it's super easy to fix. And I love how tough it is. DD gets the screen occasionally and chews on it and we've had no problem.

https://m.target.com/p/samsung-babyview-video-baby-monitor/-/A-14261096?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14261096&CPNG=Baby&kpid=14261096&LID=9pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14261096&kpid=14261096&gclid=CjwKEAjw5ZKiBRDhqa-Yjcml9kYSJABia-RnbrYVQa12YWQAoaZ9URJ-VyGm9Knc4IP-hLcKs8AavRoCR8Pw_wcB
  • Options
    My sister in law freaked me out with the hacking thing saying that people were watching children to see if they were..and I'm quoting her here "Cute enough to kidnap and sell" Now how true that is... idk so I take most of what she says with a grain of salt (along with the rest of the advice she gives me)  but still.. idk if I want people seeing in my house in general. We do have a secure wifi network, but these days you never know. We still might do a video monitor for the mere fact the baby will be on a different floor and it will probably save getting up and down a lot during the night.

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

• Options

But is that a dumb FTM thing to *not* want? Like my mom who doesn't want a camera on her cell phone. Mom, that's not a thing anymore. 

We only used our 2 way communication to play tricks on people. I don't think it's necessary.
  • Options
    For us, being able to talk to Hailey through the monitor (audio and video) has saved us many trips to her room. We used to be able to sing her back to sleep. Now we can talk to her and get her to lay back down before she actually climbs out of bed. Once she's out of bed we end up having to go back there to fix her blankets and such for her.

• Options
    About the two way communication - 

I will tell DH I need a bottle if I underestimate what W is going to drink. DH can give me an ETA so I know how long I have to try and contain the crazy that is a hungry kid.
    Ahhh yes, didn't think about it between Mom and Dad. I like that. So now I just need to figure out if my wifi is secure? God is my idiot showing today or what??
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I will tell DH I need a bottle if I underestimate what W is going to drink. DH can give me an ETA so I know how long I have to try and contain the crazy that is a hungry kid.
    Ahhh yes, didn't think about it between Mom and Dad. I like that. So now I just need to figure out if my wifi is secure? God is my idiot showing today or what??
    It's Monday, it's allowed.  I'm a space cadet at work...and on the bump...Employee of the month, right here.

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

• Options
    Over generalization I know, but usually the people who get hacked are the ones who would've gotten hacked anyway, like making their password "password."
  • Options
    We got this one with our first munchkin and love it so much that we are just buying a second camera for the second nursery since it has the ability to add up to 4 cameras. We also got the same one for my parents house. We have never had to replace the battery and have had it almost 2 years

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @misshart00 that's what I thought too, we have that zillion key wifi password that came with the router--I'd imagine it's difficult to hack (though what do I know). 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'd be totally freaked about a stranger hacking into my camera. They could see my child naked, or me half naked when nursing, for that matter see when we're not home...

Sounds like a lot of people like the Motorola. I think that's what we'll do. Thanks for asking Irish!
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We registered for this one.  I definitely wanted video, after seeing my SILs use them, I can so see the benefit of seeing what they're doing in there rather than just hearing them.  I also wanted the two cameras, so one can be pointed at each baby, and I like that this monitor will do a split screen for me. Yeah, it's a bit twins focused, but in general I would vote for a video monitor, from the moms I've spoken to, it sounds like a good investment.

*********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Just don't ask about the size of your bump and I will continue to acknowledge your posts. 
    YOU WILL ACKNOWLEDGE ME BECAUSE YOU LOVE ME @chickenonsunday. Also my bump size is so far down the list of shit I care about it's not funny. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

This is such a better and smarter use than convincing my BIL that or house is haunted. Is my young inner prankster showing?
  • Options

This is such a better and smarter use than convincing my BIL that or house is haunted. Is my young inner prankster showing?

I also love to play tricks on my kid with the two way. She whips her head around trying to find us when we talk to her through the monitor. Good times. 

We are probably going to get an audio monitor for W's big girl room since we won't be able to get a 2nd camera for the Motorola setup. 

They stayed with us before DS was born and, since we only have so much room, they took the nursery and MIL/FIL took the spare. DH went out of his way to whisper "get out" in a ghastly voice every time BIL was alone in the room.

We couldn't use it for DS because he cried and was afraid of the disembodied voice.
  • Options
    brash717 said:
    We got this one with our first munchkin and love it so much that we are just buying a second camera for the second nursery since it has the ability to add up to 4 cameras. We also got the same one for my parents house. We have never had to replace the battery and have had it almost 2 years

How long ago did you buy your video monitor? Motorola updated the product and put out a newer version a few months ago. Old doesn't play well with new so we can't get another camera unless we find a used model on ebay or craigslist. 

@bhjones1980  did I already mention this to you?
    Ugh, no, we will need a new camera for the new babies room.

So I need to start looking for a used camera to work with my Motorola MBP33 from 2013?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    brash717 said:

How long ago did you buy your video monitor? Motorola updated the product and put out a newer version a few months ago. Old doesn't play well with new so we can't get another camera unless we find a used model on ebay or craigslist. 

So I need to start looking for a used camera to work with my Motorola MBP33 from 2013?

Yup unless someone has a back-stock of the older models. I found this out when I went to do a registry at BBB three weeks ago. 

Maybe we can spam some of the older BMB and see if someone wants to see us their camera. 
    It looks like amazon has one in stock, I just need to double check my model number when i get home, but this looks like the one we have

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Additional-Camera-MBP33-Monitor/dp/B005IWNNK4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413834454&sr=8-2&keywords=baby+monitor+motorola+mbp33
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

brash717 said:

Yup unless someone has a back-stock of the older models. I found this out when I went to do a registry at BBB three weeks ago. 

Maybe we can spam some of the older BMB and see if someone wants to see us their camera. 

This is the model I have on my registry...which I guess I will now promptly be changing. It's still at Target by the way.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I used the Angel Care monitor for my second and loved it. She ended up getting RSV when she was only 4 1/2 weeks old and would stop breathing. I did find out that the one i used was recalled (she's 9 now, so it was an older model)  I'm most likely going to get another one of those.

• Options
    Ducktale said:
    brash717 said:

This is the model I have on my registry...which I guess I will now promptly be changing. It's still at Target by the way.
    Uh yeah sooooo wait, fuck. @ducktale what are you changing it to? Does Target have the new one? I hate their website so much I fear trying to find the new version......sonofabitch. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY TARGET SELLS THE CAMERA THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE NEW MONITOR BUT DOESN'T SELL THE NEW MONITOR? 

I fucking hate Target. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY TARGET SELLS THE CAMERA THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE NEW MONITOR BUT DOESN'T SELL THE NEW MONITOR? 

I fucking hate Target. 
    I do too.. their baby selection blows.

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"