April 2015 Moms
Options

UO Thursday.

124»

Re: UO Thursday.

• Options
    Wow. I miss out on so much when I work. This was epic.
  • Options
    Halloween is my favorite holiday...and it has nothing to do with celebrating the devil.
    Attached to my DH since May 2008 (besties since 2005).
    Married to my DH since October 2012.
    TTC #1 since October 2013
    BFP #1 August 18, 2014
    EDD: April 25, 2015

BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tried to qfp but my phone is not cooperating with my work's wireless. @SweetsMunch, i'm sure that is the case for lots of people...
    Together since 5.16.05 (16 & 19yo)
    Married since 3.6.10 (21 & 24yo)
    Baby Olivia coming 4.14.15 <3 (26 & 29yo)

January Siggy Challenge: Fitness Fails

• Options
    Thanks soupy ;-) idk why, just felt like that should be qfp'd...
    Together since 5.16.05 (16 & 19yo)
    Married since 3.6.10 (21 & 24yo)
    Baby Olivia coming 4.14.15 <3 (26 & 29yo)

January Siggy Challenge: Fitness Fails

• Options
    I don't celebrate Halloween, Easter OR Christmas.
    Tied the knot 2007 | Baby #1 2012 | Baby #2 2013 | Baby #3 EDD 4/2015
  • Options
    CaterinaC said:

Halloween is my favorite holiday...and it has nothing to do with celebrating the devil.

LOL. Do you know anything about the historical relevance of Halloween?
    Yeah I know all about it which is precisely why I said that. LOL! So many people have lectured me for enjoying the holiday because of its "origins" but I love the fun-ness of dressing up and having parties and decorating and scaring people and all that stuff! Around my neck of the woods it is NOT popular to like Halloween. So I'm the outcast!
    BFP #1 August 18, 2014

BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • Options

I see what she's saying, I think... DH's side of the family evolved from a Mennonite type religion. They absolutely won't touch anything Halloween related. My family is crazy about Halloween! It's also my Dad's birthday, so of course it's a big deal.
    Yes...I mean I like it because its a fun holiday. Not because of devilish reasons.
    BFP #1 August 18, 2014

BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • Options
    CaterinaC said:

@SweetsMunch‌
    Halloween was developed by Christians to ease Pagans into Christianity. Cause let's face it, it's more fun to be Pagan then it is to be Christian. It has nothing to do with the Devil.
    From the beginning it has been about the line between our world and the spirit world being "thin" so basically ghosts can pass into our world. People wore masks to prevent dead spirits (of their family and friends) from recognizing them and then refusing to return to the realm of the dead.
    It is on October 31st so that Christians could tie it to All Saints Day on November 1st, there by appeasing Pagans with fun and still tying in Saints.

Holy smokes!! That's not what we were taught but thank you for that, awesome info!! :)
    BFP #1 August 18, 2014

BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • Options
    edited October 2014

CaterinaC said:

@SweetsMunch‌
    Halloween was developed by Christians to ease Pagans into Christianity. Cause let's face it, it's more fun to be Pagan then it is to be Christian. It has nothing to do with the Devil.
    From the beginning it has been about the line between our world and the spirit world being "thin" so basically ghosts can pass into our world. People wore masks to prevent dead spirits (of their family and friends) from recognizing them and then refusing to return to the realm of the dead.
    It is on October 31st so that Christians could tie it to All Saints Day on November 1st, there by appeasing Pagans with fun and still tying in Saints.

This is the explanation for basically all weird holidays. It is a lot easier to get people to convert religions if they don't have to give up their holidays. Holidays are important to people!

The parts of Christian holidays that don't actually make any logical sense, religiously, are generally the parts adopted from other religions, frequently paganism of one form or another.

Why is Christmas in December? What the fuck do trees have to do with Christmas? Why do we go sing at people's houses? Why do we eat ham on Christmas? Pagans, pagans, pagans. Supposedly theologists who study that kind of thing say that according to the texts there's no hints than Jesus was born in December, actually a completely different season. But, midwinter festivities are a big thing, so we'll just convince people to celebrate Jesus instead of other midwinter holidays.

All of the stuff that doesn't make sense about easter (bunnies? chicks? eggs?) comes from pagan fertility holidays, which are a thing in the spring. We had this super awkward conversation with an Arby's employee last Easter... he was cleaning the table nearby while I was talking to my husband and the guy interrupted and was like BUT JESUS. Yeah, Jesus is the reason we celebrate Easter. The religious stuff around Easter is all logical when looking at the religion. But where the fuck do the colored eggs come from? That has exactly 0 to do with the resurrection story. But it's borrowed. (This guy was so awkward. Dude, we're eating our food, I'm sorry you have to work on Easter when clearly religion is important to you but I don't want to have to answer BUT JESUS about 80 times and explain that no, we are not pagans)

-------------------------------------

I was thinking all of this exactly, but I didn't have the energy to type it out. Well done, @somerandomchick‌.
    DD - Born 8/12/13

• Options

I hate new/pop Taylor Swift.

I am just sick of hearing it on the radio.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    NoraMia said:

My UO: I hate "The Walking Dead" I don't get what all the hype is about! It annoys me that every time its on there are a thousand post everywhere about its awesomeness. 

Also, I love Canada. I wish I could afford living there... 
    Have you watched the 1st episode? If not...I say get on Netflix stat and watch.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Duffgurl said:
    My UO: I hate "The Walking Dead" I don't get what all the hype is about! It annoys me that every time its on there are a thousand post everywhere about its awesomeness. 

Also, I love Canada. I wish I could afford living there... 
    Have you watched the 1st episode? If not...I say get on Netflix stat and watch.
    I wanted nothing to do with The Walking Dead until before season 3 they played a marathon of the first 2 seasons. My husband made me watch. And now I'm in a deep deep addiction. It's so good. It took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but then I was literally staying up till midnight watching it until I caught up. Out of control haha.
  • Options
    Also, I am pregnant. I am not incapacitated. I can carry whatever I am used to carrying. Will I put a 50 lb tote in the attic? No. But do not patronize me by offering to carry a grocery bag or tell me not to pick up my kid. She's 33 lbs. I'm good. I can carry anything around that weight no problem. I hate when people try and limit my actions.
    THIS. 1,000x. I would like to scream this at my boss several times a week. I'm lucky she lets me get my paper off the printer. F^CK.
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Canada has some kick ass potato chips. Oh, and poutine. Never had it, but i get jealous whenever its mentioned, because i want it in my mouth.

Miss Vicky's for life. Wonder how many bags it'll take for me to get over the fact that I have no roots and my children have dual US/other US citizenship.
  • Options
    shevsamshevsam member
    edited October 2014
    I spent 30 minutes reading it and all I walked away with was a hankering for miss vicky's and fruit snacks. Maybe fruit snacks sandwiched in miss vicky's...

ETA my UO: I'm not a pet/animal person. I think it's awesome if you are but I'm not. I kind of wish I was sometimes. Pet FOMO
  • Options
    picklesxpicklesx member
    edited October 2014
    souptin said:

mbm1983 said:

i went to Canada once.

they were rude as fuck.

way to ruin my Canadian experience Montreal.

....Well, DUH we ALL know the french are rude!  (JK I think pickle sex is from Quebec

O hai there. Late to the party but if you are referring to moi, I am from New Jersey and have never been to Canada, which I am a bit le sad about.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options
    souptin said:

picklesx said:

souptin said:

mbm1983 said:

i went to Canada once.

they were rude as fuck.

....Well, DUH we ALL know the french are rude!  (JK I think pickle sex is from Quebec

O hai there. Late to the party but if you are referring to moi, I am from New Jersey and have never been to Canada, which I am a bit le sad about.

oh, whoops, my bad. Take it as a compliment that I thought you were one of us :)

I will gladly accept the role of honorary Canadian if it means you will share your incredible potato chip flavo(u)rs.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options
    picklesx said:

souptin said:

picklesx said:

souptin said:

mbm1983 said:

i went to Canada once.

they were rude as fuck.

oh, whoops, my bad. Take it as a compliment that I thought you were one of us :)

I will gladly accept the role of honorary Canadian if it means you will share your incredible potato chip flavo(u)rs.

All I can think whilst reading this is... PICKLE SEX!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"