Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Recommend your diaper trash can/pail

WA1215WA1215 member
edited September 2014 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
I would like one that you don't have to buy special liners for, and that keeps out door (obviously). Is there anything or tips anyone has as well?
**All welcome**
 Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
Married Dec. 2007
10/2013 Clomid, bfn
10/2013 HSG, all clear
11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Recommend your diaper trash can/pail

• Options
    A regular trash can works just fine.  Most diaper pails are made of the same plastic as regular trash cans and they absorb odors, especially with a tightly closed lid.
    There are some stainless steel options but I would never pay the $$$ for one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    For the same reason that I don't use a plastic trash can, I didn't want a plastic diaper pail... plastic absorbs odors over time.  We went with the Ubbi and it has been great.  It doesn't require refills or anything special.  That said, we went with that because we liked the color and it fit size wise.  We also considered regular stainless steel trash cans, and would have gone with one of those if it fit well where we wanted to put it.   As pp says though, the stainless steel options aren't cheap.  For us, we live in an urban area and have nowhere to put our trash until trash day.  Given that we can't just take a stinky one out to the garage, smell containment was important to us and worth the $$.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for telling me about no on plastic ones, I didn't think about that. And, I'm glad to hear you like the ubbi, I've been contemplating putting that on my registry. What are your thoughts on this one from ikea (steel with lid)?https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90218924/
    **All welcome**
     Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
    DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
    Married Dec. 2007
    10/2013 Clomid, bfn
    10/2013 HSG, all clear
    11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
    IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
    IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
    Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
    1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We had a Diaper Champ with our first and I got rid of it. It was so smelly. It started grossing me out to think of leaving dirty diapers in the nursery. So I just toss them in a metal trash can in the bathroom and empty it every day or two. Super stinky ones go straight outside.

The one from ikea looks fine, but I'd still consider keeping poop molecules out of the baby's room.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We have the Ubbi and it's just fine. Keeps out the smell and you can use regular trash bags. Yes it's $80 but long term it's cheaper than a genie or any cheaper pail that requires special liners. My only complaint is that I wish it held more diapers.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We have a Diaper Genie Elite, and it's been great. We buy the refills in bulk from Costco, so they're pretty cheap, and it's kept the smell at bay, and it holds a lot of diapers before it is full.
  • Options
    I have the diaper genie elite. I think I used it until DS poop got really smelly then I just take all the diapers out. It's buce when they are little and poop 6x a day especially on the second floor.

There are you tube tutorials for using regular trash bags in the genie. It's pretty easy to do just google it.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Options
    It seems people in my social circle have stepped away from special diaper pails and throw out the diaper in the garbage bin (outside or garage) each time. I didn't register for a diaper pail so our nursery has none. Although, this is our first baby and he/she isn't yet born. Maybe we'll go with something when we actually have a baby for which to care.
  • Options
    We'll be getting the Ubbi. It's powder coated stainless steel so it won't trap odors like plastic diaper genie does.
  • Options
    We also have the Ubbi. It's awesome. ANd it comes in so many cute colors now! 
  • Options
    I use the munchkin and it does require special bags but I love how the system closes the bag each time and you refill the odor control thing with baking soda. Our nursery does not smell at all and we have lots of dirty diapers but maybe we aren't onto the super smelly ones yet as she's only 4 weeks old.

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I use the munchkin and it does require special bags but I love how the system closes the bag each time and you refill the odor control thing with baking soda. Our nursery does not smell at all and we have lots of dirty diapers but maybe we aren't onto the super smelly ones yet as she's only 4 weeks old.

This. I've had a Munchkin for two years, I'm on Kid #2 with 2 in diapers, and there's still no odor. We got a Diaper Champ for downstairs. That lasted about 10 days. It was terrible.
  • Options
    I just have a normal plastic garbage bin... we plan to use cloth diapers... but since my DD is so tiny we are using disposables until she gets a bit bigger.
    I find it doesn't smell that bad. We also empty it out every 2- 3 days. We also have a dog and he knows he is not allowed to touch the garbage pails/bins. So we dont need the locks.
    Another tip... if it starts to smell, sprinkle baby powder into the pail over the dirty diapers to reduce the stinky smell. (a great way to use up the powders from gifts since I don't use baby powder on my LO)... or you can use dog poop bags that are scented for the poopy diapers. Just tie them off individually before throwing them out. (I have yet found the need to do these things since we always empty the garbage before it starts to smell).
  • Options
    I also have the arm & hammer Munchkin one -- we have one for her bedroom and one for downstairs and both of them contain odors perfectly. Easy to remove and put in a new bag as well. It holds a lot of diapers too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"