March 2015 Moms

Ebola... In Texas.

2»

Re: Ebola... In Texas.

• I am so confused at how this took a "AIDS is not a crime!" turn. Nobody in this thread even so much as hinted that it was. The only comment I saw about HIV was using it to show how shitty education and infrastructure contributes to epidemics. Which is the truth. So.....how did that turn into defending against AIDS persecution?

Page 2. I don't have a direct quote but it was along the lines of --- people who do not take precautions to avoid spreading a deadly disease should be charged criminally and then made a reference to people who have HIV engaging in risky behaviors.

• Ok maybe I should have read the thread -- I see I was defending myself when you weren't even talking to me... Sorry Kella!! :( 

No worries. HIV/AIDS is an issue I hold very hear and dear to my heart. I've made many friends throughout my years working in the field and lost a few too. I tend to get a lite fired up at times.
  • Loading the player...
  • @kella0708 oh trust me, I know all about this group of stigmatized people. Being a previous IV drug user and having the pleasure of getting infected with a shitty disease due to my own stupid/risky behavior and the stupid/risky behavior of the people I chose to be around, I know the stigma attached to these kinds of things. It fucking sucks.

I don't get how this has turned into an argument over criminalizing people with HIV/aids. From everything reported it was pretty apparent that this guy knew he had been exposed, or at minimum was at higher risk for it, and did next to nothing to help himself or to avoid spreading it. I'm in complete agreement with @mangomimosa, he should have spoken up more than he supposedly did. He was negligent. Period. 

If, after finding out I had an infectious disease, I didn't tell my husband, didn't get my children tested, and didn't take any measures of protection, I'd say I was a pretty shitty person. If I did it out of shame, while I get it, doesn't make it right. If I did it solely because I didn't give a shit, well, I should be held accountable. People who choose not to vaccinate should absolutely take extra precautions. Avoiding certain situations and taking precautions of they started to show symptoms of illness. Some states are taking action against this as well. I wouldn't not vaccinate my kids then throw a fit when they're not allowed in school. Accountability. 
  • Ok maybe I should have read the thread -- I see I was defending myself when you weren't even talking to me... Sorry Kella!! :( 

No worries. HIV/AIDS is an issue I hold very hear and dear to my heart. I've made many friends throughout my years working in the field and lost a few too. I tend to get a lite fired up at times.
  • @kella0708 oh trust me, I know all about this group of stigmatized people. Being a previous IV drug user and having the pleasure of getting infected with a shitty disease due to my own stupid/risky behavior and the stupid/risky behavior of the people I chose to be around, I know the stigma attached to these kinds of things. It fucking sucks.

I don't get how this has turned into an argument over criminalizing people with HIV/aids. From everything reported it was pretty apparent that this guy knew he had been exposed, or at minimum was at higher risk for it, and did next to nothing to help himself or to avoid spreading it. I'm in complete agreement with @mangomimosa, he should have spoken up more than he supposedly did. He was negligent. Period. 

Why is this so confusing? You made a comment about criminally charging the person in Dallas and then threw in "just like people with HIV." It sounded a little fire and brimstone to me.

Maybe I the only person who read it this way? Anyway like I said previously it's a hot-button topic for me, so I tend to get defensive rather quickly.
  • kella0708 said:
    @kella0708 oh trust me, I know all about this group of stigmatized people. Being a previous IV drug user and having the pleasure of getting infected with a shitty disease due to my own stupid/risky behavior and the stupid/risky behavior of the people I chose to be around, I know the stigma attached to these kinds of things. It fucking sucks.

Why is this so confusing? You made a comment about criminally charging the person in Dallas and then threw in "just like people with HIV." It sounded a little fire and brimstone to me. Maybe I the only person who read it this way? Anyway like I said previously it's a hot-button topic for me, so I tend to get defensive rather quickly.

It was one example. People who knowingly do reckless things that can harm others should be charged. If I knowingly drove drunk, I'm negligent and it's a crime. If I knowingly and purposefully spread a such a devastating disease, it's the same thing. Intent. From everything reported it sounds like this guy knew what he was doing and put getting 1st rate care for himself above all else. All around shitty in regards to something this serious. It boils down to intent for me.
  • @mauibliss he told one nurse who was filling out a questionnaire. The hospital did screw up, but this guy placing all the blame on the hospital speaks volumes about his character in this situation. He is far from innocent.
  • MauiBliss said:
    @mauibliss he told one nurse who was filling out a questionnaire. The hospital did screw up, but this guy placing all the blame on the hospital speaks volumes about his character in this situation. He is far from innocent.
    I'm not touching that. It's not currently illegal to travel to and from West Africa. It's not illegal to have an illness. It's not illegal to only tell your attending nurse that you were recently in a disease hotspot. It's not required to self-quarantine yourself when you have no symptoms. At the first sign of a fever and abdominal pain, he went to hospital and was sent home due to not having a reason to admit him. 

Sorry, but his character isn't at issue here. 

Eh, just my opinion. Both sides could have done more.
  • MauiBliss said:

@mauibliss he told one nurse who was filling out a questionnaire. The hospital did screw up, but this guy placing all the blame on the hospital speaks volumes about his character in this situation. He is far from innocent.

I'm not touching that. It's not currently illegal to travel to and from West Africa. It's not illegal to have an illness. It's not illegal to only tell your attending nurse that you were recently in a disease hotspot. It's not required to self-quarantine yourself when you have no symptoms. At the first sign of a fever and abdominal pain, he went to hospital and was sent home due to not having a reason to admit him. 

Sorry, but his character isn't at issue here. 

Had he mentioned his direct contact with a woman dying of ebola, there would have been a reason to admit him. There could be lots of reasons why he neglected to mention it. Regardless, I have chosen to decide he's an asshole until proven otherwise. But it is certainly more fair minded & reasonable to leave his character out of it.
  • I just want to say thank you to all the public health peeps on here for the good info.  I was feeling pretty freaked out and thinking about avoiding air travel, but now I feel very reassured.  Thank you!
  • RQuinlin said:

I just saw on the news there are 2 different people in DC who have recently been in the West African hot zones showing signs and symptoms of Ebola. Blood tests are not back yet.

I just heard about that! I just picked my SO up from the airport last night. He was on a business trip in DC. His whole family also lives in Texas near that whole thing, so I'm convinced that they have the ebola curse.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    image image
  • RQuinlin said:

hollmb said:

RQuinlin said:

I just saw on the news there are 2 different people in DC who have recently been in the West African hot zones showing signs and symptoms of Ebola. Blood tests are not back yet.

I just heard about that! I just picked my SO up from the airport last night. He was on a business trip in DC. His whole family also lives in Texas near that whole thing, so I'm convinced that they have the ebola curse.

I don't know exactly what "signs and symptoms" means, but that was the exact wording so I'm guessing it's more than a fever and vomiting.

Yeah, I would also like to know what exactly that means. Well, I'm sure we will find out soon enough!
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    image image
  • djoliet said:

We had a scare in Lubbock I think yesterday.I saw it on the news this morning. A guy went to the ER (of the hospital I'm having the baby at...eek) with symptoms. They said they tested him for Ebola but it was negative, so they sent him home. Apparently he recently traveled to Liberia too. Kinda nervewracking and everyone is asking what if he was tested too early.

I'm in Lubbock too and I didn't hear about this. Which hospital?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @lifewrite‌ UMC. Saw it on the KAMC Facebook page yesterday morning
  • RQuinlin said:
    Texas health officials have confirmed a second case of Ebola this morning. Preliminary tests were done in Texas. It's a health care worker who worked on Duncan the second time he came to the hospital. Confirmation from the CDC is expected later today.
    I was just reading that this morning. This is crazy. The worker had on all protective gear- mask, goggles, gloves and shield. They think all the other heathcare workers are in danger too because they think there was a safety protocol breach; they think they were removing their gear wrong, which can lead to contamination. 

But yet the girlfriend and kids, and whoever visited the apartment is OK (for now). How does this happen??

image image
    imageimage
  • cafecreme said:

RQuinlin said:

Texas health officials have confirmed a second case of Ebola this morning. Preliminary tests were done in Texas. It's a health care worker who worked on Duncan the second time he came to the hospital. Confirmation from the CDC is expected later today.

I was just reading that this morning. This is crazy. The worker had on all protective gear- mask, goggles, gloves and shield. They think all the other heathcare workers are in danger too because they think there was a safety protocol breach; they think they were removing their gear wrong, which can lead to contamination. 

But yet the girlfriend and kids, and whoever visited the apartment is OK (for now). How does this happen??

It becomes more contagious as the viral count increases near death. People with early contact have much lower risk compared to people with later contact.
  • cafecreme said:

RQuinlin said:

It becomes more contagious as the viral count increases near death. People with early contact have much lower risk compared to people with later contact.

Also, I would imagine, the hospital workers are dealing with cleaning up a lot more body fluids and coming into potential contact with the virus. I remember wearing my contact isolation garb and I honestly question how much those gowns and other precautions help. Especially because everyone is on MRSA or C. diff precautions so health care workers become complacent. I can speak for myself, at least, and say that I would probably become hasty with removing my gowns/gloves/etc. in the past.
  • RQuinlin said:

Yea, I understand that, but still can't believe there isn't more 
    RQuinlin said:

I understand, but still. 

image image
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"