March 2015 Moms
Options

Baby preperation

I am 17 weeks along with my first and I'm just wondering when is it a good time to start stocking up on things? Have any of you started to buy things around your 20 week mark? If so, what kind of things have you gotten so far? Thanks :)

Re: Baby preperation

• Options
    We're cloth diapering, so we're not stocking up on disposable diapers, and we're gonna be moving out and renovating our house in November and December, so it'll be January or early February before we actually start buying things for the nursery. So... really nothing.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of my husbands friends just had twins, as are we, and she suggested that we buy something every time we go to the store whether it's wipes, diapers, shampoo, or whatever. Yeah, we haven't done that. We have however finished our guest room since we will have plenty of guests.
  • Options
    We just finished painting the room! And we have a few pieces of hand me down furniture that we have picked up here & there that we are refinishing.

I've picked up some onesies and other little clothing items over the years so I have a few pieces.

We are waiting til after the AS next week to pick up too much more.
  • Options
    If you find a good deal go for it! With my first I didn't really have much until my shower at about 32 weeks. I'd stock up on onesies, socks, burp clothes and the basics. Also be careful stocking up too much on diapers, bottles, pacifiers. You may find some brands of diapers work better for your baby than others (ex some babies will leak in Huggies but not Pampers). Also it sometimes takes a few different kinds of pacifiers, bottles (especially true if nursing) to get the one your baby likes/will take.
  • Options

I've been reading a lot of deal blogs and been keeping a list of items that I will need and reading reviews and familiarizing myself with prices, so I have an idea what to expect. I read that some of the best baby deals are November/December so I'm hoping to do my research now and jump on some great deals.

I found a great deal on a crib so I jumped on it. Also, my local grocery store had this awesome diaper deal so I bought a few, and will continue to buying diapers when I find them at the right price.

Everyone is different but I find it less overwhelming to buy things slowly, plus it helps my budget since I'm not buying everything at once. There's some things I'm going to wait to buy, especially clothes when I find out the sex.

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I stock up on diapers early. This is one of those things that you have to decide if it is the right thing for you or not. Stocking up on diapers CAN be problematic if it turns out that your child ends up with a sensitivity or allergy to a type of diaper, or they just do not work for you after you start trying them. But, my failsafe on that is Walmart will accept unopened diaper packages without receipt for a store credit that can then be turned around and used on the diapers that work for you if you are in that situation. For me, I had NO problems with sensitivities the first time and my stocked up diapers worked like a charm and I saved a ton of money. 

I am a pretty hardcore couponer and it takes dedication if you are interested in doing it the way I did. I paid about 50-60% (if not even better) off retail for all my diapers last baby. But here was my bible the last time I was pregnant and I am referring to it again this time:

It gives a great run down on the best prices per diaper and how many of each size to stock up on before baby. I followed this pretty closely, and it worked great for me. Some babies are bigger or smaller but again, the Walmart failsafe if you need to exchange diapers after the fact. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Pregnancy Ticker
    image <3 Suzyq 
  • Options
    mangomimosamangomimosa member
    edited October 2014
    Make ahead meals: Fix, Freeze, Feast is a GREAT recipe book!!!
  • Options

I'm over 15 weeks with my first and I've already been making and using freezer meals. They're worth every second of prep time! It's about the only way DH gets out of cooking dinner.

Other than that, I haven't done/bought a thing - but I am excited I finally started my registry. It's such a great way to organize my thoughts and do research. I can't believe how much reading I feel like I've done lately and I still can't find the time to post. I love this thread though, it made me feel a lot better about where I'm at and I wasn't even worried to begin with. We'll figure it out as we go, ladies!

imageimage

Married August 31, 2013

BFP July 28, 2014 EDD March 26, 2015

• Options
    We've had a lot of fun picking up clothing here and there since this is our first. We found a crib on sale at BRU so we picked that up as well as a neutral color glider and a dresser that's the same finish as the crib. I really want an elephant theme nursery and found a bedding set I'm in love with from Pottery Barn Kids. I had a 10% off coupon so I drove to the nearest store to avoid those annoying shipping charges.

Kohls actually has a pretty good online baby department and with 30% off coupon codes and Kohls cash from my mom, we were able to snag a bathtub, bouncer, and diaper pail for hardly anything. My husband says we're done shopping until after the holidays and showers lol. I've always been a planner and want to be prepared but I promised to hold off buying anything else for a while :)
  • Options
    Whenever you want to buy stuff is the right time.
    We haven't bought anything yet but this is number 3. We have been busy. We usually wait until we know the sex, but that is just us( it makes it more real for us at that point). We moved son out of the soon to be nursery so we will probably start getting ready soon.
  • Options
    We haven't bought anything so far, but this is our 3rd and don't need much. Possibly a new car seat depending on how we can configure 3 across, some type of bassinet/pack n play, and DH wants a new stroller is really it for the big stuff. We'll probably wait for tax time to get that stuff. We will need new clothes as we got rid of almost everything, though they had gone through 2 kids so were probably close to done anyways. I also foolishly got rid of my Boba but still have my ring sling.

We have a good size house but next to no storage space so buying stuff now isn't appealing. After our anatomy scan we may pick up some little things, including stocking up on diapers here and there. Target brand diapers rock our socks :)
  • Options
    MandJS said:

I didn't buy ANYTHING before DD1 was born. And I don't do much by way of prep for subsequent kids. I had a bassinet and a carseat handed down from my SIL a few weeks prior to birth of DD1. I washed/prepped those, but otherwise, yeah. Nothing. DH also bought a "coming home" outfit about a month early. We took home some diapers from the hospital with us, and then DH ran out and got more after she was born. There really is very very little you NEED to do before baby is born.

All that to say - do what you're comfortable with and feel makes the most sense.
    I'm the same, I'm really superstitious but I did get a little fur coat for this baby when I found out the sex. I had stuff with my daughter cause of my baby shower but that was 04 and I didn't plan on more babies at that time so I don't have shit not even a blanky
    autism photo: AUTISM autismglitter.gifBabyFruit Tickerphoto d61f26e5-4fb2-4a0b-b301-b0af2b53d4d3.jpg
  • Options
    We've bought a pack n play and snap n go (why are all baby things called "blank n blank"?!) from friends for super cheap, and I ordered some board books my reading nerd self could 't pass up on babysteals. Not planning to buy anything else until after baby showers in December (this is the first grandbaby on both sides and people are way excited about the shower).
  • Options
    Oh, and to answer the "when" question: Like pp said, when you come across a great deal and when you feel ready! I actually tried to go shopping once but just felt too weird/nervous to buy anything. If you are having a shower, probably wait on buying things like clothes until you see what you still need.
  • Options
    I'm waiting until the baby is at least 24 weeks to purchase the bigger ticket items. One thing I couldn't pass up though since we are cloth diapering was a rummage sale for gently used infant diapers that was happening this weekend. I bought 3 diapers at $5 each! Great deal!! Other things that I have are hand-me-downs from my sister (who was going to donate them either way) a couple fitted sheets, breast pump, and maternity/nursing tops. She also said that when her littlest grows out of it, I can have her cosleeper and rock & play. I love my sis!
  • Options
    we've started stocking up on diapers when we see a good sale, but that's about it. I've gotten a few odds and ends for our nursery theme from consignments sites, but I don't feel comfortable buying big stuff yet. 
    CafeMom Tickers

October Siggy Challenge, Halloween Costume Fail

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"