Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Who will you tell first (or second, thrid, etc.)?

If/when you get pregnant, who will you tell first, second, third, etc.?

Me: Husband, BFF, and other friend who knows I'm trying. And then eventually I'll tell everyone else via Facebook. Husband will tell his family when we decide to go public.

Re: Who will you tell first (or second, thrid, etc.)?

• Options
    Bee1112Bee1112 member
    edited October 2014
    With DS my H was in the bathroom with me when I POAS, so he knew first. The next day I told my BFF. That week (was the week before Christmas) my work friends guessed and I am a terrible liar so they found out. Christmas we told our families. We lived across the state from them so we wanted to tell them in person, that is why it took a week to tell them. After our first ultrasound we

With the next H will know first again. Followed by close family, best friends and FB after first ultrasound.

ETA: I forgot TB. I will tell you guys right after I tell my H. We will probably tell our moms the same day.

Me: 25 DH: 26
    Married 11/12/11
    BFP 12/17/11
    DS 8/29/12 via C-section
    TFAS 3/2014
    BFP #2 5/25/15 EDD 2/4/2016
    It's a BOY!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My mom told me today that only DH and my sister can know before her.*  I have a couple friends I'm pretty close with and also very open with about TTC so they'll know immediately after.  They're also not stupid and know that as soon as I stop drinking it will be because I'm KTFU - I'd have to avoid them for months in order to hide it.  We'll tell DH's family after the first tri/we go public because they can't keep a secret to save their lives.  

I'm already pretty nervous about when/how to tell my boss and coworkers. 

*edit: She said it as a joke. Sorry if this gives you flashbacks of being told what to do.  Calm the fuck down. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My H obviously would be the first to know. Second I'd tell my mom. When I had the loss I was very happy she knew early on so I had someone to talk to about it. Third would be my kids.
    *Aug '15 Siggy Challenge - Mean Girl*
    image    image
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My 2 boys ages 8 & 10
    BFP#3 EDD 8/19/2015
    mc @ 7wks 4/2014

Me 31 H 33

• Options
    Husband

Mom

BFF whom every time I call her says "omg you're pregnant?" - doesnt know we're TTC
    TTC #1 since May 2014
    3 failed IUI cycles
    Oct '15 - IVF 1 - 10R, 3M, 0F
    Sept '16 - IVF - 12R, 11M, 5F and 3 perfect day 5 blasts - MMC 7w5d
    Jan '17 - FET 1 - BFP, EDD 10/14

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    1. Husband and son, though my son might know first, even though he won't care or understand lol
    2. my bffs (all my bridesmaids) 
    3. my mom
    4. the bump. 
    5. Everyone else
  • Options
    Probably something along the lines of: 
    • Husband, immediately
    • Bump, 1-2 days after first +
    • Close friends that can keep secrets
    • Siblings/Parents, after heartbeat confirmed
    • Everyone else (including employment) in 2nd Tri
    Please note that due to the actions of TheBump and their parent company, XO Corporation, I no longer feel safe or comfortable posting regularly on this forum for my pregnancy journey.

If you would like to seek a community of women that can help you at any stage of your journey, please consider joining us at [OUR NEW HOME].

#iStandWithTheMods #Solidarity
    TTGP Acronyms/Newbie Blog
    “I want people to like what I do, but, at the bottom line, fuck ‘em if they don’t.” - Craig Ferguson
  • Options
    1. Husband
    2. Family
    3. Close Friends
    4. Facebook announcement around the 12 week mark
    Anniversary
    TTC #1 Since April 2014
    Me: 27 | DH: 31
    08/2006 - Laparoscopy/Stage 1 Endo
    10/2014 - Bloodwork normal, HSG all clear
    10/2014 - DH's SA 15mil/mL, 35% motility, 6% morphology
    BFP #1: 12/29/14 | EDD: 9/9/15

• Options
    DH seems obvious. No one else until we hear a heartbeat, and then just parents.

Work and other friends will be a minimum of 12 weeks but longer if I'm not showing.

I don't know why, I was just not anxious to share last time around and doubt I will be this time either. Nerves, I guess.
    January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• Options
    My husband right away.  I will probably tell my mother soon after.  Most everyone knows we're doing IVF so I started saying that we aren't moving forward with it til at least winter.  Hopefully I'll be in 2nd tri by then, when I'll tell everyone else.  I doubt that I will ever post on FB.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Options
    DH, my mom (and by extension my dad), MIL.  Until we hear the heartbeat, no one else.  Then FIL, brothers, sisters, grandparents, maybe a few close family members on DH's side=.  Honestly not that close to my friends any more to bother telling them privately.  Will probably have to tell DH's co-workers.  Not sure whether to keep #2 under wraps until the anatomy scan or not.
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • Options
    catwinecatwine member
    edited October 2014
    Husband first, then our families.  We talked about maybe having our parents and siblings over for dinner once I am pregnant and telling them all at once.  I'll admit I don't want to tell my mom alone because I know she will disapprove at first. Next we'd tell our close friends, and probably post on Facebook after a few months.

ETA: my boss at 3 or 4 months.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers 

• Options
    My husband first, then my BFF, then bump.  I'd feel more comfortable waiting until the second trimester to tell my parents but I may not be able to hold out that long but I'd want to wait until at least hearing the heartbeat or the first ultrasound.
  • Options
    After 2 losses in 6 months I don't want to tell anyone. Everyone was a great support but I feel like each time I have a loss it hurts my family and I hate doing that. I don't even want to tell my husband because he takes it so hard but I know I have to tell him. Realistically I may keep it quiet for a few weeks see how my first couple betas go then tell my mom too.

BFP #1 Chemical Pregnancy

BFP #2 DS Bennett

BFP #3 Missed Miscarriage 8wks

BFP #4 Miscarriage 6 wks

BFP #5 Due August 10, 2015

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    H, bump, a few people in my unit that would need to know, and no one else until we have a heartbeat and ultrasound in hand - then it would be parents, siblings, everyone else.
    Married July 19, 2014.
    Inherited one stepson, so excited to continue our family!
    BFP#1: June 15, 2014. MC June 20, 2014.
    BFP#2: July 11, 2014. MMC July 27, 2014. Naturally passed tissue August 5, 2014.
    BFP#3: October 29, 2014.
    EDD: July 8, 2015 *Stick baby stick!*
    imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    After 2 losses in 6 months I don't want to tell anyone. Everyone was a great support but I feel like each time I have a loss it hurts my family and I hate doing that. I don't even want to tell my husband because he takes it so hard but I know I have to tell him. Realistically I may keep it quiet for a few weeks see how my first couple betas go then tell my mom too.
    This.  I think I will tell H and the bump and try not to tell anyone else till we see a good heartbeat.  Then we will tell parents and siblings.

Me: 37                                               
    DH: 45
    BFP #1 3/19/14  EDD 11/29/14 MMC D&C 4/24/14
    BFP #2  12/4/14 Beta #1 218 at 12dpo Beta #2 1055 at 16dpo
    Saw heartbeat 12/29.  Please be a rainbow.
    imagerainbows

All welcome                                   

• Options
    Before the stick is even dry, husband and my parents. Then the TWW thread. I'll probably never share on Facebook, just tell friends as I see them in 2nd/3rd tri.

Married 9/2007
    TTC #1 since 1/2014
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Sep14: 7DPO testing for short LP - low progesterone (4.9ng/mL)
    Sep14: DH SA - low motility (3-)
    Oct14:  repeat 7DPO testing - low progesterone (1.8ng/mL)
    Oct14: tv u/s with OB - "beautiful uterus," no cysts, offered Clomid, no thank you
    Current DX: weak ovulation/low progesterone with MFI
    Oct14: RE consult
    Oct14: CD3bloodwork - elevated AMH (5.1ng/mL)
    Nov14: HSG (all clear)
    IUI#1 Nov14: 5mg letrozole + IUI = bfn
    IUI#2 Dec14
  • Options
    DH, Sister-in-law, bump, assortment of trusted friends, family

Me: 33
    DH: 30
    TTC #2 Since April 2017
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    H and Bump first.

Family and close friends when I start "showing". I'd prefer to not "tell" people and just let them figure it out, but my in-laws are very particular about being "the first" at whatever and if we don't call people according to a specific timeline and order we'll never hear the end of it. We're still getting flak from them because we didn't notify them about our engagement according to their liking. 

I won't publicly announce anything on social media. Maybe some vague-booking when I'm in 3rd-tri, but I'm so not into publicly posting photos of inside my ute. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

All of this. I feel guilty for telling people and then having to go back to "untell" them. The first time only H & our parents knew, second time around we'd told our families & closest friends. I'm pretty sure next time around we'll keep quiet until 12 weeks with family and we may not announce on Facebook at all.
    Number One: Born 06.16.2009
    BFP: 01.17.2014 / MC 02.05.2014
    BFP: 03.08.2014 / MMC: 05.07.2014
    Dx: Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
    Currently on the bench. [Chart]

• Options
    1. Husband (but if he's at work I think 1 & 2 might be swapped)
    2. Girls on my BMB FB group from when I had my son who are rooting for my BFP.
    3. Maybe my BFF? (around the 8 week+ point, after our first ultrasound)
    4. Parents (^^^ same as above)
    5. Work at the 12 week point.
    6. Public, FB, 18+ weeks, after the results from the combined screening come back. I did it this way with my son and it made me feel better announcing it later than earlier.

BFP #1 - 11/7/12 * M/C - 12/8/12 @ 7W6D
    BFP #2 - 3/2/13 * DS1 - BORN ON EDD - 11/13/13
    BFP #3 - 11/7/14 * DS2 - BORN ON EDD - 07/21/15 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    1. DH.
    2. The Bump. Probably just in the TWW thread, because I know how much we all hate drive-by BFPs.
    3. DH has to notify his chain of command.
    4. My friends and coworkers (but only if I can't hide my symptoms).
    5. Parents and other family (planning on 2nd trimester, but definitely after heartbeat and first US).
    6. Probably will not announce anything on Facebook. Definitely not posting an US pic!
  • Options
    Husband first, then our immediate family when I'm 10-13 weeks along. Then we have a few friends we'll probably tell in person. Everyone else will find out via Facebook or through the grapevine!

Anniversary

We love our fur babies Luna (2013) and Dozer(2014)!

photo 10494646_10201461739185673_5476363044243444294_n2_zpse4247710.jpg

• Options
    Hubby first. Absolutely.
    Then I'm not sure. I have a friend I'd want to tell first, but my mother would murder me if I told anyone else before her. So probably parents, then super close friends, then friends, then the rest of the world in the second tri. I am struggling with how soon I'd want to share though. Hubby would be the instant the stick shows 2 lines, everyone else I'm not sure.
    P.S. DarcyHermione I LOVE your siggy! Emperor's New Groove is one of my fav's :D
    imageimage
    October siggy challenge: Villains
  • Options
    1. H
    2. Work (because xrays and other dangerous things)
    3. Moms, Dads, siblings at 2nd tri.
    4. Everyone else when we see them or they hear about it.

• Options
    Well husband of course. I would probably try to wait till 2nd trimester to start telling others.
    2nd Pregnancy, EDD 6/28/15 | Married 11/08 | Me: 33 DH: 36 | Step-son: 14 Son: 11
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1. DH
    2. Bumpies
    3. My parents
    4. My two BFF
    5. In laws
    6. A bunch of other people before I put it on FB. DH and I already have our video announcement ready for FB.

It would be nice if this actually ever happened.
    Married to DH (aka the love of my life) since June 17th, 2006

• Options
    1. Dh and kids and the bump
    2. Parents after the first ultrasound
    3. Family shortly after
    4. Close friends
    Princess- 5yo  

MC- 13w 12/14/10

Dare Devil- 3yo 

MC- 8w 01/18/12 

Wheezy and sneezy- 1yo

MC- 7w 11/29/13

TTC #5 since 7/14

CP- 12/27/14 confirmed 12/29/14
    Benched until further notice

• Options
    probably the same order as last time. Husband. Coworkers because we were at a barbecue with lots of booze and that was very unlike me to not be the sloppy drunk. Sister. Bump. And then we waited to tell our families until 8 weeks. However some of our closest friends knew before we told our families.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Options
    DH and I have had a lot of discussion about this. Our families would be crushed finding out via Facebook, so we've decided that DH will be the first to know, and then probably my BFF. After we have our first ob appointment, then we'll tell our parents. (Since mine live near us and his live across the country, we're thinking of overnighting a package to each with maybe a kids' book signed by "baby" or something like that, that way no one gets the privilege of being told in person and neither set of parents can get jealous). Prior to a Facebook announcement, we'll tell our closer extended family members. And then a general FB announcement.

My BFF will be doing a photo shoot with us, so I'm hoping to get some really great, fun announcement photos done (pets with a sign that they're being promoted to big sisters, posing with a "bump ahead" sign, you know, the usual!)
    Married to the love of my life since September 2013.
    TTC #1 since January 2014
    Met with RE Nov 2014: Cyst on left ovary. Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy 12/3 to remove cyst, endo, polyp, and fibroid
    12/14: Natural cycle = BFN
    1/15: Starting Femara for IUI #1

Chart Stalk Me
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Dog tickers
    TTGP January Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails
  • Options
    amc2511 said:
    1. DH. 2. The Bump. Probably just in the TWW thread, because I know how much we all hate drive-by BFPs. 3. DH has to notify his chain of command. 4. My friends and coworkers (but only if I can't hide my symptoms). 5. Parents and other family (planning on 2nd trimester, but definitely after heartbeat and first US). 6. Probably will not announce anything on Facebook. Definitely not posting an US pic!
    THIS. But switching 4 & 5. I want my work to know after my family. And NO Facebook announcement....then people ask for pictures and updates. If I wanted you to be updated and have pictures of my baby...you would.
  • Options
    loisloan1118loisloan1118 member
    edited October 2014

With DD I told DH right after I got the call from the doctor's office.  I wasn't turning a pee stick but no AF.  I could practically hear the nurse I spoke with rolling her eyes over the phone (after spending more time here & finding out more about my cycle I can see why), but I wasn't taking no for an answer.  It was the week before Christmas & I needed to know! 

We told our families on Christmas Day (they would have guessed, it would be my first sober holiday since I was a teenager - lol!)  and I told my 3 close friends in person a couple of weeks later, my boss "guessed" it about a week later.  I suspect she was reading my email or checking my internet history. 

I told my coworkers and announced on FB at the 12 week mark. 

When I get my BFP this time around I'll tell DH first and maybe my close friends.  I'm going to try and keep it from my family for a couple weeks.  I plan to have DD announce to our parents.  Everyone else can wait till 2nd tri. 

ETA: I'd tell you guys right after getting BFP

• Options
    H first, then my mom and BFF. We won't tell anyone else until 2nd tri. Then the order will be my son, my dad and stepmom, H's parents, our siblings, followed by close friends. There is no way I'd tell my son (he's 2.5 yrs) until I'm ready for everyone to know.
  • Options
    Husband, BFF, TB, and then parents (specifically my mom) once we are a little further along. We'll do the whole Facebook announcement thing once I am into my second trimester and I've told work.
    Married: 08/04/2012
    TTC #1: 07/2014
  • Options
    I'll tell H first, then post on here :) I'll immediately tell my parents and in laws and my very close friend. No one else until 12 weeks. No post on FB until after 20 weeks, if at all.

Married 10/9/2009

The beautiful Royelle Marie born 2/7/2012

Baby #2 coming June 11, 2015 (Scheduled CS)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I asked D who he would tell first and he said:
    1. our parents
    2. his best friends
    3. the secretary at his office who is always checking is desk to see if an US picture has been added to our wedding photo frame
    4. Facebook friends
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers 

• Options
    I hate surprises, and I am a terrible liar. It's hard for me not to tell everyone what their Christmas presents are.

Having said that, the plan is:

DH immediately
    Family all together (mom can't be negative/judgey in front of everyone) after 12 weeks
    Work after that
     Anniversary

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!image
  • Options
    I know I'm in the minority, but when I get pregnant, I will tell everyone around week 8ish.  Pretty much after my first doctor's appointment.  Of course, my husband and then these boards on the internet will know before that haha.  

I know most people don't prefer telling people "too early" in case something happens.  But I personally believe that it is a life no matter how far it gets, and should something happen to that life, I still want to celebrate it!  And we have already chosen to tell many people that we are actively trying.  If they get too nosy, I'll just tell them to keep checking facebook and twitter for updates   
    :)
  • Options
    1) DH is always with me when I test.
    2) bff immediately
    3) within 2-3 days our parents and siblings all together. My MIL would totally be cool with my parents knowing first but because she is always so cool and laid back about my family I feel like I owe her the respect of not doing that.
    4) after a confirmed HB my extended family because we're extremely close and I would need them if something happens
    5) everyone else at 12 weeks
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"