April 2015 Moms
Options

GTKY: Irrational fears

Being pregnant can be pretty freaking scary, but there's WAY scarier stuff out there, right?!

Like.. teeth falling out, people who sleep walk, and reptiles

In celebration of Halloween month, share your irrational fears here.

Re: GTKY: Irrational fears

• Options
    edited October 2014
    DH is a sleep-walker. Even after more than three years of marriage, it still takes me a minute to figure out that he's not awake.

A current irrational fear doesn't come to mind but when I was little, I thought that any mountain or hill could turn into a volcano. We lived a block away from a golf course (that had hills...), and I frequently had nightmares that all the hills turned into volcanoes and our house flooded with lava...

Edit - spelling is hard
    DD - Born 8/12/13

• Options
    Sleep walkers terrify me. Spiders and crickets and cockroaches also terrify me. I'm also irrationally afraid of illness.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Moths....:::::shudders::::

BabyFruit Ticker

j13 sept. siggy challenge: Apples:

• Options
    Bugs. Primarily spiders. I know that doesn't seen irrational because a lot of people share that fear, but I think I probably fall under the "phobia" section because it's that bad.
  • Options
    Scorpions and black widows. We found a black widow hiding under a picnic table on our school playground today. Sometimes my anxiety causes to to fear many irrational things.
  • Options
    MushibambooMushibamboo member
    edited October 2014
    Usually only clowns, but lately I keep having dreams that ex boyfriends of years past are trying to murder me ... blame the hormones, I guess. Also dreamt I turned into a dinosaur. And I'm still afraid of walking over sidewalk grates where you can see down to the sewer. Had that one since I was little.
  • Options
    Definitely cockroaches!!! Especially the American Cockroaches which are freaking huge and they fly!!!!! But, that not really an irrational fear is it?!?!? I mean they are DISGUSTING!!!
  • Options

Fish. All fish. I can walk through an aquarium for my kid's sake (of course he LURVES fish) but I don't enjoy it.

I'm also not a fan of fish. They don't scare me, but I get really uncomfortable if I see a fish that seems too big for it tank. Something about their body size to tank ratio.
  • Options
    miahbellemiahbelle member
    edited October 2014
    I'm so anxious that I have a lot of fears, but my biggest irrational fear is fish scales. My dad brought home fish for my mom to clean when I was in my late teens and I literally threw up when I saw the scales on the counter. I froze and refused to enter the kitchen again until it was all cleaned up. To this day I can't eat fish if I find a scale.

Eta: I'm also scared of going home after dark if my husband isn't home. I panic and nearly cry if I have to.
  • Options
    I'm deathly afraid of horses, and this is not so much a fear but adolescent boys weird me out for no good reason!
  • Options
    mbm1983 said:

miahbelle said:

Eta: I'm also scared of going home after dark if my husband isn't home. I panic and nearly cry if I have to.

Oh man. When i'm home by myself at night i take my dog and go inspect every room of the house. I nudge it open and then make him go first. And then i check all the locks. I hate being home alone at night.
    I wish we had a dog! I hate it, but I inspect every room twice, if I don't, I'll just sit and panic until I do.
  • Options
    Moving water. Waves and Rapids give me panic attacks. It's gotten slightly better but I still hate it. Non-moving water such as pools are fine as long and no one tries to dunk me.
  • Options
    Beavers (contrary to what DH tried to convince me of, there HAVE been recorded beaver attacks on humans!!!), and open-backed stairs - I have to psych myself up to go up them, and even then I have to hold both railings, breath slowly, and encourage myself the entire way....

BabyFruit Ticker

TTC #1 since July 2010
    July 2011: Referred to RE, started Letrozole
    August 2011: BFP #1! M/C @ 5wks
    September 2011 - September 2012: test, after test, after test... S/A, HCG, B/W... Diagnosis: unexplained infertility. Letrozole, Metformin... nothing.
    September 2012: Diagnosed gluten intolerance; now living strict GF diet.
    November 2012: BFP #2! MM/C @ 6wks (discovered at 8wks). 2 rounds of Misoprostal - nothing. D&C December 2012.
    May 2013: BFP #3! Hoping this one sticks! 4x prometrium/day EDD: 01/25/14
    06/03/13: 1st u/s We have a heartbeat! Team green!
    01/24/14: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    08/05/14: Surprise BFP #4! (Unmedicated, no pp period, EDD unknown)
    08/15/14: 1 u/s We have a heartbeat! Measured 6wks 2 days. EDD 04/08/15. Team green!
    04/08/15: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    03/29/16: BFP #5! (Unmedicated, 1 cycle TTC) EDD: 11/09/16

• Options
    Someone being in the backseat of my car at night or my trunk. I'm constantly looking in my back seat as if someone could just appear out of nowhere.

Walking at night by myself

Calling strangers.. Even if it's just ordering a pizza
  • Options
    Clowns. Clown music. They scare the crap out of me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm scared of spiders and cockroaches. I'm also afraid of the Emergency Alert system that can wake the dead in the middle of the night. It's more scarier when your driving down the road in the middle of the night and you hear a scary abduction EMS going through your radio  :((
    BabyGagaPitaPata Cat tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Giant flying grasshoppers! I spent a summer mowing yards when I was 16, one dry building had literally hundreds of them! All over the building jumping up and hitting me everywhere. I keep at least 3-5ft between me and then when I stumble across them.

Also being stopped while driving across a bridge, if I'm stopped I peak over the edge from my car and rationalize if I will live from where I'm stopped if the bridge collapses.
  • Options
    I don't like having both my feet off the ground at the same time. It's weird but if I jump I only have one leg up and the other might be barely off the ground. My husband tried getting me to do pull ups but i didn't want to bring both feet off. I'm the same way if I jump in a pool, 1 foot is usually on the edge until the other is about to hit the water. It's very odd but it just freaks me out.
  • Options
    I am absolutely terrified of PEACOCKS!!! They are the devil in disguise!! Just thinking about them sends a shiver down my spine! Evil!
  • Options
    My irrational fear is not being believed. Those movies where the protagonist is setup or sabotaged drive me insane!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Options
    Lizards. Deathly afraid of them. I don't like how they just stop and stare. I'm terrified I'll step on one. And you never know which way they'll move. No thank you.
  • Options
    arlinar said:

I'm scared of spiders and cockroaches. I'm also afraid of the Emergency Alert system that can wake the dead in the middle of the night. It's more scarier when your driving down the road in the middle of the night and you hear a scary abduction EMS going through your radio  :((

Funny story for you about this. So i worked at a coffee stand that was in a dark lot and about a year ago I got a phone call and the caller ID said code red. I was instantly terrified and only answered it because a cop happened to be at my stand window and I felt safe. Then a recording saying it was the police came on telling me there was a code red in my area and nothing else. Had that cop not been able to look up the code red and tell me that an old man with dementia had gone missing at noon that day I would have probably shit my pants. So scary. But also those emergency things scare me too. And when people knock on the front door.
  • Options
    Duffgurl said:
    Clowns. Clown music. They scare the crap out of me.
    Oh lord have you seen that American Horror Story Freak show commercial they had playing with the creepy clown making scary faces and sticking out his tongue in ways it shouldn't be. It was about 8pm when they played it on fox and I gave such a disapproving face towards it. I don't even think they play that commercial anymore since its terryifing.  
    BabyGagaPitaPata Cat tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    i am super afraid of heights and i feel like it gets worse as i get older!  last summer we went to michigan with DH's family, and we took a tour of an old lighthouse.  it involved climbing a huge spiral staircase to get to the top, and the balcony you stood on once you got up there was super narrow.  i was having a panic attack the entire time.  since then it has gotten so bad that even standing on ladders or seeing someone else on a ladder makes my heart race!
    Together since 5.16.05 (16 & 19yo)
    Married since 3.6.10 (21 & 24yo)
    Baby Olivia coming 4.14.15 <3 (26 & 29yo)

January Siggy Challenge: Fitness Fails

• Options
    @Duffgurl‌ My biggest fear is clowns as well. I just now got to where I can see them on tv without my heart pounding.

Also flying. Which is ridiculous because both my husband and I have jobs tied to aviation. Also we fly several time a year for business and for fun. I have to be drugged to be calm. When we flew from Scotland to Ireland, we were on a propellor plane. I almost didn't get on. My H and Mom practically had to carry me.
  • Options

Beavers (contrary to what DH tried to convince me of, there HAVE been recorded beaver attacks on humans!!!), and open-backed stairs - I have to psych myself up to go up them, and even then I have to hold both railings, breath slowly, and encourage myself the entire way....

H was chased by a huge groundhog last year while I was out for a run. I am kinda mad I missed it. It didn't attack him but also didn't get to him. He said it was so cute but he was petrified.

I used to have a fear if blood but have kinda gotten over that thanks to all the crazy blood work that comes with loss and infertility.

My recent one is that u have this irrational fear that one if my dogs will get out and get lost or the house will burn down with them in it. I crazy lady style unplug everything before I leave the house.

BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11
    BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12   BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate) HSG 6/13-all clear BFP#4 11/18/13 natural m/c on 11/23  IVF #1 (Natural IVF Cycle) May 2014- Cycle failed (embryo did not make it to blast) BFP#5-7/26/14 GROW BABY GROW    IT'S A BOY DUE 4/5/15!

• Options
    Garbage disposals. I do not go near those things. What if it were to short or something and grind my hand all up?? **shudder**

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    picklesxpicklesx member
    edited October 2014

Dark bodies of water. Even pools. Jaws will find a way.

Yes.

Also, dinosaurs. Jurassic Park scarred me for life, and I am convinced that someone will find a way to make it real.

Oh, and planes/flying. I've had a fear of planes for years (despite never having flown before), which was exacerbated after 9/11. I have had recurring dreams of planes crashing into my home or nearby for years. I have only flown once, and had anxiety meds. We hit some turbulence and the plane literally dropped a few feet, everyone in the plane reacted. At that moment I actually thought I was going to die. It was an awful feeling, I started hyperventilating, and it took a while for DH to calm me down and before I could breathe normally again. Needless to say that was my last flight. I still dream about planes crashing, and my heart starts pounding anytime I see a low flying plane or hear the rumble of a plane flying overhead.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options
    Beyond terrified of spiders, heights, and falling backwards, I get so panicked it makes me sick. I really just don't like any kind of bug...
  • Options
    Lulu00724Lulu00724 member
    edited October 2014
    Whales scare the shit out if me...I can't seem to grasp why they are so big and always end up visualizing myself it the water next to one. I get a lump in my throat even when I see them on TV. I can barely write this post without feeling anxious!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I HATE haunted houses, and I'm not fond of scary movies but I do like American horror story for some reason. Even hubs won't watch it with me but I think I like it because I've watched it since episode 1 and it helps me get over my fear of scary movies. I think the fear comes from the fact that my housekeeper let me watch Freddy Krueger and chucky when I was 3 years old.

My dad let me watch The Gate with him when I was 4 I think and apparently I had nightmares for a long time that there were people in my walls.

Thanks, Dad!

BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options

Running water on my face. In the shower, I do what I call the "lean back" when washing my hair. I wash my face by cupping water and splashing it on. No running water on my face at all.

I'm the same way, I feel like I'm drowning if the running water hits my face
  • Options
    Bees.  I'm terrified of getting stung.  It hurts, and then I cry...and really it's just embarrassing that something so little makes me cry.
    Me (29), DH (30), Married 6/16/07
    #1: BFP 8/02/14, EDD 4/11/15

~~TEAM GREEN~~

BabyFruit Ticker   

****** April '15 January Siggy Challenge: Exercise/Workout Fails ****** image
  • Options
    Dentures. Partials. I can't touch them or clean them or see the glue. If a person removes then in front of me I can't handle it. If someone clacks them around purposely to scare me I will have a hard time not smacking them in the face.

The other one I have is when people eat bananas too close to me, I'm always watching to make sure they don't trip and accidentally jam a peeled banana into my ear. I feel like all the smoosh of the banana will get in all the little crevices and no amount of irrigation will ever be able to clean it all out, and then bugs and maybe small birds will always be after my ears for eternity.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Autism
  • Options
    Oh man, @QSB‌ & @MOtownMama‌ reminded me that escalators make me really anxious. I saw an episode of some "Emergency 911" show when I was 5 where a kid fell right as the escalator reached the top, and his clothes got sucked into the escalator and got stuck. They had to cut him out after emergency stopping the escalator. Ever since then I will always take the stairs. People think I'm trying to be fit but nope, just the irrational fear of being sucked into the escalator.
    DD - Born 8/12/13

• Options
    ChanStew said:

Bees.  I'm terrified of getting stung.  It hurts, and then I cry...and really it's just embarrassing that something so little makes me cry.

I kinda glad I'm not scared of bees because just about everytime I go to my parents I get stung. One time I even stepped on a yellow jacket (I was barefoot) and it - the entire bee - got stuck. I had to grab the wiggly bee body and pull it out. I guess I can also be glad I don't have a bad reaction to stings, because a ton of the venom got in my foot that time. It did swell a fair amount though. @ChanStew‌
  • Options
    frogs.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP! - 8/15/14
    EDD - 4/28/15
    It's a Boy!
  • Options
    Some I these are giving me serious anxiety. Others are making me laugh a little.. so I'm sitting here doing this anxious creepy laugh. Not weird at all.

I especially love @knjzacher‌'s banana fear.. a smooshed banana in the ear would be terrible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"