Baby Showers
Options

Spring Baby Shower Menu?

My friend is not due until May & I want to host her shower in April. My plan is to do the whole "April Showers Bring May Flowers." I'm a super pre-planner to make everything as perfect as possible.

At first, I loved the idea of doing a soup & salad bar. Salad is perfect for the the spring season but I am trying to figure out what to do about the soup. With winter passing by this point, a lot of soups like chicken noodle or potato, might be too heavy. At the same time, we are in Seattle where it is always raining & it's stays fairly cold throughout April so maybe these soups will be a welcome food choice? Or maybe nix the soup idea completely?

Any help is appreciated!

Tracy

Re: Spring Baby Shower Menu?

• Options
    I'm in Michigan, so it's often still cool in April. I could totally see soup in April still, though agree that it would be hard if you're expecting people to eat on their laps. If you're providing tables/chairs though, maybe a creamy tomato or a minestrone? I feel like potato is definitely too heavy, ditto with a heavy chicken noodle.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    I'm in Wi. My shower was early May and there was still a little snow on the ground. We had soup at one of my showers and it was fabulous! Everyone loved it. We had chicken noodle, but chicken wild rice would be another good choice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So I may not be the best person to offer advice, since I'm in South Florida, but I think soup sounds kind of like a mess and a lot of trouble.  The typical menu I do when I've hosted showers or other similar type events is:

Crudite with an herb dip
    Cheeses/crackers
    Pasta salad
    Green salad
    Assorted Quiches (we have this awesome french bakery, but they are easy to make) 
    Fruit salad
    Desserts

I am assuming though that you'll be indoors where it would be heated though if it was still cold outside?  I don't have much experience what that type weather, so maybe I'm being naive.  
    I'm with Bliss on this one but I live in San Diego so weather is pretty nice at that time of year for me as well! She gave some great ideas and is pretty much what I see at showers that I attend.
  • Options
    We did a chicken salad with grapes and pecans on mini crescent rolls with a pasta salad, regular green salad, and a vegetable soup that had some green onion, tomatoes, red potatoes, carrots, celery, corn and water chestnuts. It wasn't to heavy like potato and went with the sandwiches plus it was kinda cool during my springish shower so everyone was happy we had warm soup!
  • Options
    So I may not be the best person to offer advice, since I'm in South Florida, but I think soup sounds kind of like a mess and a lot of trouble.  The typical menu I do when I've hosted showers or other similar type events is:

Crudite with an herb dip
    Cheeses/crackers
    Pasta salad
    Green salad
    Assorted Quiches (we have this awesome french bakery, but they are easy to make) 
    Fruit salad
    Desserts

I am assuming though that you'll be indoors where it would be heated though if it was still cold outside?  I don't have much experience what that type weather, so maybe I'm being naive.  
    I'm with Bliss on this one but I live in San Diego so weather is pretty nice at that time of year for me as well! She gave some great ideas and is pretty much what I see at showers that I attend.

I agree with these guys. The April Showers bring May flowers is very clever! But soup may be too much and it can be a little messy too. If you do do soup though, maybe a cold soup, or a vegetable type soup to go with the garden theme. Like Tomato soup and grilled cheese.....yummy! The tea sandwiches or making it a "tea party" ish theme for food could be cool. Finger foods are always great! Maybe as you get closer ask the MTB what kind of food she has been craving too so you can include some of those things for her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"