Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

car seat placement question

MIL's seat belt in the center of her backseat does not lock out.  Would DD be safer in the middle with the seat belt not locking out or on the side with a seat belt that will lock out?  MIL is worried about the side airbags and DD being on the side. 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: car seat placement question

• Options
    What do you mean by "lock out"?  What car does your MIL drive?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    The seat belt when you pull it out all of the way does not catch and tighten down, it still moves freely.  Jeep Liberty
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The seat belt when you pull it out all of the way does not catch and tighten down, it still moves freely.  Jeep Liberty

It seems odd that a car this new wouldn't have locking belts. What does the manual say?
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    It sounds like the center seat has a locking latch plate, which means you buckle, pull tight and go! The lap portion will stay tight but the shoulder portion will not lock. This information will be in the car's manual.

If you can get a correct, secure install, the center seat is 43% safer than outboard seats as it's further from a potential point of impact. If you can't get a correct install in the middle outboard seats are still very safe :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    Side curtain airbags are not a problem with car seats.  Check the car's manual to see if you can install a car seat in the center.  Some vehicles prohibit the center.  You can also use LATCH installing outboard if you can't get a good install with the seat belt.

BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    They sell, and your car seat probably came with, a little silver locking clip for older seat belts that don't lock. You would want to use that if it truly doesn't lock. Is it an older car?
    Ditto to this. I have my nephew's car seat secured in my car with the locking clip. It came with the car seat. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"