Nurseries and Baby Gear

Used crib?

KRMcDKRMcD member
edited October 2014 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
How do you feel about used cribs (bought from a stranger)? My husband really wants to get a used crib. I'd rather a new one, especially because they changed the safety regulations in 2011. I'm ok with buying a used one that is from after 2011, but I haven't been able to find a nice one for sale. My husband wants me to email manufacturers on the older ones to see if they meet the newer regs, but I really would just prefer a new one. Thoughts?

Edit:
After getting into another argument about it, he did more research and now agrees that we don't really have a choice but to buy a new one. 

Re: Used crib?

• Ikea cribs are inexpensive & meet all the latest safety recs. If there is a store near you, that could be the best compromise if you feel a crib is needed.

Also, some children's cinsignment stores deal with cribs, the one by us does not & we bought a new crib, barely used it. Would definitly buy a new mattress if could find a 2nd hand crib that's been gently used.

Another option (especially in the beginning) is a bassinet or Rock n Play or mini cosleeper. Those would be something you stop using after 3 to 5 months, depending on how fast your LO is to roll / sit up on own.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • KRMcDKRMcD member
    edited October 2014
    We do plan on using some type of bassinet at first. My husband does not want a super inexpensive crib like an ikea one. He just thinks that we could spend $300-400 on a much nicer used one than we could get new for that price. And if I could find one made after the regulation change I would be ok (not thrilled) with it. I did call the children's consignment store that's near us, but they don't do cribs.
  • Loading the player...
  • dufferoodufferoo member
    edited October 2014
    I'm with you, and I don't quite understand why it would be so important to your busband to find an expensive used crib, but really this sounds more like a marital struggle than a bona fide safety issue. One of you is just going to have to give. (And in my humble opinion, the man who is waltzing around without a baby in his uterus is usually the one who should ;) )
  • I totally bough a used one off craigslist for #2. Can't understad why people freak out about that so much. When you go to look at it you can assess if you trust the seller. It's not like you're committed jsr from looking. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't buy.

That being said, there are SO MANY inexpensive cribs out there - look at all those Graco ones at walmart.com! Or Ikea. I would NEVER under any conditions pay $400 or more for a crib and I happen to have plenty $$ to spend. That kind of price is just stupid to me to pay for a crib.
  • I totally bough a used one off craigslist for #2. Can't understad why people freak out about that so much. When you go to look at it you can assess if you trust the seller. It's not like you're committed jsr from looking. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't buy.

That being said, there are SO MANY inexpensive cribs out there - look at all those Graco ones at walmart.com! Or Ikea. I would NEVER under any conditions pay $400 or more for a crib and I happen to have plenty $$ to spend. That kind of price is just stupid to me to pay for a crib.

I totally bough a used one off craigslist for #2. Can't understad why people freak out about that so much. When you go to look at it you can assess if you trust the seller. It's not like you're committed jsr from looking. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't buy.

we got ours, brand new, for under $200 at Buy Buy Baby. It is super solid & well made. Hubby & FIL were both impressed with the quality of workmanship. We had 2 to choose from in that price range twoish years ago. Set a budget & when you go in, tell them your max price. They tried to upsell me, to give me 4 choices, but i was really not impressed with the almost $400 crib's paint job (dented so easily when I ran fingernail over it, imagine a child whp teethes on it...)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am miss-love-a-bargain but even I think you should by the crib new.

The graco ones at walmart look decent, I'm probably getting one of those. I actually don't like the mattress platform construction of the Ikea ones, but many people love them so that is a good resource also.

I have five kids and I can tell you, the expensive cribs dont usually hold up any better or worse than an inexpensive one. My first crib was $99, 21 years ago, and it held up awesome through 5 jumping bean kids! I'd be using it again if it wasn't all recalled and stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"