December 2014 Moms

Poison Ivy

Shortstack06Shortstack06 member
edited October 2014 in December 2014 Moms
I did google and get varying answers, I also have an appointment with my OB tomorrow(not for this specific issue but it will be addressed just in case). I have never had a skin allergy to poison ivy before but I know pregnancy changes things. My husband discovered a posion out break on his arms tonight. While I don't have it that I can see now, I am being over paranoid and cautious not to get it from him. Has anyone had it while pregnant or have you never had it then gotten it while pregnant?
D14 - Free For All
In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

Re: Poison Ivy

• I'm itchy just thinking about this. FX that you avoid it!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• ColeyCannoliColeyCannoli member
    edited October 2014
    I never had it while pregnant but I had a hoooorrible case of it as a kid that caused my whole face to swell up. It had gotten in the air from my dad mowing over it. But I will say that you can't catch it from someone else's rash. It is not contageous person to person (which is why I was allowed to go to school and everything). The irritation comes directly from the urushiol in the plant's skin. As long as he's washed over his rash, there should be nothing left on his skin that you could get. It'd be better to watch out for where he was when he got it and avoid the plant itself.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @ColeyCannoli‌ I always thought it was similar to shingles, that it is contagious until it scabs over?
    D14 - Free For All

• ColeyCannoliColeyCannoli member
    edited October 2014
    @ColeyCannoli‌ I always thought it was similar to shingles, that it is contagious until it scabs over?
    Nope. At least it didn't work that way with me. I had a really terrible outbreak of it that lasted for weeks. I went to school, played at friend's homes and no one else caught it off of me. It's an allergic reaction, so your body is what is causing the rash itself. The chemical could be long gone but your body is still freaking out over it. (you can't catch any other allergy from being new someone) The blisters that form don't contain the chemical that caused it either. You probably have a higher chance of getting it from his shoes if he hasn't wiped them down.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/poison-ivy/basics/causes/con-20025866

edit: just to point out what you already know: your doctor is better at this than me and the Internets :P
    imageimage

• Thanks, I have him doing laundry in case it is on clothes and change the sheets.
    D14 - Free For All

• Thanks, I have him doing laundry in case it is on clothes and change the sheets.
    Good call. Lords, the last thing you need with all the other symptoms of pregnancy is to be all itchy.
    imageimage

• I got it with my first pregnancy. I was absolutely miserable. They did give me some topical steroid cream.

• I have it right now all over my arms from walking in the pasture after cutting hay. It SUCKS!! Ive taken benadryl when im about to lose my mind from it itching so bad or ive put chalomine lotion on it as well which stops the itching. Im highly allergic to it i get it at least once a year without fail and it makes me miserable!
  • I got it twice this year. Since you don't see any bumps yet, jump in the shower and wash down with a good anti-bacteria soap. It'll dry your skin, but that's the point. It's the oil from the plant that causes the reaction.

If you do break out in a rash, wipe the area with alcohol, then before the alcohol dries sprinkle it with baking soda and cover it with a bandaid. This helped mine disappear without it spreading or getting worse. It takes at least a week to go away. I'm hyper allergic and super paranoid about ivy, so this is a slower healing process than the predisone packs I usually get (steroids), but I knew it was important to avoid that now that I'm pregnant.

Good luck! I pray you don't get it! And yes, wash EVERYTHING!
  • I’m pretty allergic to poison ivy and have tried multiple treatments and the only remedy for my problem was baking soda. For one of my friend who suffered from the related condition – apple cider vinegar worked great for her. One should not ignore any symptoms and should take essential treatment without wasting time. This article https://www.everydayhealth.com/poison-ivy/ also provides us with some good information about the toxic plant and some good Symptoms and Relief.