March 2015 Moms

Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy

mudbug84mudbug84 member
edited September 2014 in March 2015 Moms
Curious to know your thoughts on this. I just started seeing a new chiropractor who had me lay on my stomach for an adjustment. I reminded him I was about 16 weeks pregnant, but he wasn't concerned. Honestly, I'll probably be finding a different chiro (since that just felt wrong and made me question the entire adjustment), but I wanted to know if the spiel I got about going regularly had as much positive impact on the pregnancy as he claimed. Any STM's who used one throughout your pregnancy? Or moms who are currently going regularly?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy

• I go regularly but also wondering about the benefit. I'm 14 weeks and mine also gets me to lie on my stomach! Would be interested in the responses here to see if it is worthwhile in the long run!
  • I'd go with what you're comfortable with. Chiropractors like to make you feel like you need to see them every week or two. I popped a rib during my last pregnancy from being sick so much and got an adjustment. I was 8 weeks and I was on my back so, maybe they are all different. I don't go unless something is bothering me now, being pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • I saw a chiro for sciatica during my first pregnancy and it was wonderful. He had me lie on my side during adjustments. That doctor wasn't available my second pregnancy so I found a new one. He seemed the 'natural' type so I was looking forward to it. He had a special table for pregnant patients so I could lie on my stomach. I never felt better and just felt funny there. I'm hoping I can find a decent chiro this time. I don't know if it actually helps but it feels damn good!
  • I go monthly and plan to continue to do so, but my chiro has an awesome table that raises up for growing belly's and she can still do the adjustment.
    Me: 29, DH: 29
    TTC since March 2014
    BFP 6/23/2014
    EDD: 3/3/2015 BOY! Connor James

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Some actually specialize in prenatal and postpartum care, like my sis. She is very passionate about this and has taken many extra classes and certifications. She has even unbreached a few babies. I will ask her about the stomach thing and get back to you all. I'm a stomach sleeper and my doc says no problem and when I feel uncomfortable I will stop sleeping on my stomach. But my yoga classes don't let me do any stomach poses?
    Finding a good chiro can be hard, I've struggled since we moved. If the doc doesn't feel right find a other, but look on their website to see what their focus is. If it has pedes and or mentions pregnancy I would give if a try. If just general keep looking. Keep looking I have a list I am going to call this week to inquire about.
  • I used to work for my chiropractor as an assistant and learned a lot about the benefits of chiropractic care. It's especially beneficial during pregnancy and not only can relieve back pain and sciatica, it can help with labor when the time comes. My chiropractor said it may help shorten labor time and it helps open up the pelvis and make everything more flexible. I'm surprised your chiro didn't have one of those tables with the capability to have a belly hole. That's what my chiro has for his pregnant patients so there's no pressure on them laying on their stomach. I highly recommend continuing chiropractic care throughout your pregnancy, just ask if yours has a table to open for the belly or look for another chiro.
  • Oh also when I was having horrible nausea all day my chiro did a pelvic adjustment intended for nausea in pregnancy, which you can do at home. He put a foam wedge under my butt on one side while I was laying on my back so my pelvis was lifted up and you just sit like that for a few minutes. Then you do the other side. That's it. I wasn't nauseous the rest of the day and since doing this at home regularly I haven't had nausea since.

I also have severe scoliosis and disc degenerative disease and haven't started seeing a chiro until about a year and a half ago. I've grown up with constant horrible back pain that's gotten worse over the years as my scoliosis has gotten worse, and ever since I've been regularly going to him for adjustments I've had far less pain, sometimes no pain at all for a long time. I'm able to actually stand for long periods of time, which I've never been able to do, and I'm more energetic and able to do more. He did another X-ray a few months ago and saw my scoliosis has drastically improved.

Sorry for the novel, I'm just very passionate about chiropractic care being a success story myself!
  • I saw a chiropractor for my entire pregnancy with DD and it helped soooooooo much. I'm going 3x a week right now because I had a fall and my hip is wonky. I highly recommend it. With DD it just kept everything in good position and I didn't have any lower back pain or problems as a result. I had some mild irritation around my sciatic nerve which it kept cleared up, and I had pregnancy induced carpal tunnel so they would even adjust my wrists and that helped manage it as well as possible.

I will say the chiropractor should DEFINITELY be putting you on a special table that accommodates a pregnant belly if they want you on your stomach. If not, I would not go to them again and find a new one. I did try out one Chiro that didn't have the adjustable table, but they had these special foam pillows that you would lay on with a big cutout for your stomach.

Basically, the special table looks like a regular one but it has these adjustable drop/step-down panels in the middle, so they can lower it in various amounts to make room for your belly. I am not comfortable at all lying on my belly anymore and the bean definitely doesn't like it, they get agitated.

Hopefully you'll find a better chiropractor!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I go at least 2x/month, and couldn't survive without it. My chiro has an adjustable table that I lay on face down (Actually, I stand on a ledge, with my body against it, and then she pushes a button and it transitions you from standing to laying down), and she lowers the part at my bump to allow room for the bump (and for comfort). I plan to continue through my pregnancy. 
  • mudbug84mudbug84 member
    edited September 2014
    There was a sharp pain in my middle abdomen when he did the adjustment while on my stomach. I told him that it hurt me, and he didn't do any more adjustments in that area. It honestly freaked me out a little. I had the worst case scenario playing out in my head. My regular ultrasound is scheduled for tomorrow, so FX anyway. I do enjoy getting adjusted regularly, but have never been more than once a month. Finding a good chiro is tough. The one I knew and trusted for so long has unfortunately passed away, but I was not pregnant when I was seeing him, so I didn't know any differently. I will look into finding another one that has the proper equipment and specialized in care while pregnant. Glad to hear it has helped so many others. Thank you all!

BabyFetus Ticker

• I think finding a GOOD chiro that you trust is important. Mine takes readings with some fancy machine (I can't pretend to know how it works) down the length of my spine before every adjustment, and only adjusts the areas that are indicated as needing adjustments. Prior to my current chiro I've seen 3 others who just cracked me everywhere and sent me on my way; this one is amazing and the improvement I've had over the past year is incredible. I started last year going 2x/week, and now am at 2x/month... it's taken time, and it's been expensive, but to not be in pain every day is so worth it. I wish you (and anyone else) luck in finding an amazing chiro!
  • mudbug84 said:
    Curious to know your thoughts on this. I just started seeing a new chiropractor who had me lay on my stomach for an adjustment. I reminded him I was about 16 weeks pregnant, but he wasn't concerned. Honestly, I'll probably be finding a different chiro (since that just felt wrong and made me question the entire adjustment), but I wanted to know if the spiel I got about going regularly had as much positive impact on the pregnancy as he claimed. Any STM's who used one throughout your pregnancy? Or moms who are currently going regularly?
    They're all chiroQuackters as far as I'm concerned. Are they really fixing you if you have to go back every week for the rest of your life? AND claiming to cure other problems via spinal manipulation? Huh? It's ridiculous and dangerous.

I've seen my xrays from a year ago as compared to my xrays just before pregnancy, and there is improvement; as well as significant pain improvement. I agree that some of them are quacks, and saying that spinal manipulation will cure all ailments is nonsense, but for back/neck/hip pain and a curved spine; yeah, it's worked great for me. 
  • @Tacocatmom‌ My brother has a chiro that charges $25 per visit. No insurance coverage for it.

BabyFetus Ticker

• @Tacocatmom‌ you will need tocall your insurance and check your benefits. Every policy is different. Mine covers 30 visits a calendar year and you pay 20% conisurance. For the guy I go to that comes out to $6 a visit.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Love my chiropractor. Agree that you need to find a good one you're comfortable with - I've seen some crappy ones in all the times I've moved around, but it's just like any specialty - some suck and some rock. Mine has an upright seat for adjusting when my belly gets bigger and he's super laid back - I only come back when I need it. He didn't adjust me on my belly the first few weeks but I also thought it was ok while baby's behind the pelvis. Can't imagine this inevitable future back pain without getting adjusted- I'd be insufferable.
  • My insurance (state insurance at that) covers 20 visits per year. I even get partial reimbursement for acupuncture, which helped me a lot the times I did it. Maybe it is quack science but if it feels good and doesn't hurt you, why not?
  • I couldn't function without going to my chiropractor twice a month... trust me, I've tried many many times! But its different for everyone! My sister is a chiropractor and has had two babies and adjusts preggos all the time, she said as long as its comfortable, getting adjusted on your stomach is fine. Eventually your chiropractor will adjust you differently, I'd talk to them about your concerns before you decide to switch. But ultimately its about what you're comfortable with. Good luck!
  • I have scoliosis, and without my chiropractor, my life would be very uncomfortable. I've gone to chiropractors since I was 12 and don't intend to stop anytime soon. Mine won't adjust my lower back while I'm lying on my stomach anymore, but he still adjusts me. His wife is actually pregnant right now, so I definitely trust him to know what he's doing.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • My father is a retired chiro and I also go to one. They should put down the middle part of the table where your stomach is my doc has been doing it routinely and I don't even have a stomach yet. If he forgets I just remind him and he makes light of it. You should change if you are uncomfortable, for sure. And being adjusted during pregnancy is safe and can even help with labor.

m/c 2002 7w2d
    bfp 9.6.12 | edd 5.17.13 | m/c 9.19.12 5w5d

bfp 10.18.12 | edd 6/28/13

beta#1 10.18.12 - 96 / progestrone 32 || beta#2 10.22.12 - 711 || beta#3 10.25.12 - 2608 DD born 6/27/13

bfp 7.16.14 | edd 3/27/15

beta#1 7.18.14 - 149 || beta#2 7.21.14 - ??

• Last pregnancy I went twice because I had some horrible stiffness/pain in my neck and upper back early in the third tri.  I was working 8 hour days on my feet and it was rough when I started having to hold myself differently to support my stomach.  Just those two visits did a world of difference!  I felt great the rest of the pregnancy.  I worked until the moment I water broke and didn't have the discomfort I felt before going.

I didn't have to go more than twice (once a week for two weeks) to notice a difference, so it's not like I HAD to keep going numerous times.  I kind of wish I could have though, I just felt so great after I wonder how much more wonderful I could have felt with weekly visits.  I think my insurance now actually covers it so I may have to start researching this!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Was a total skeptic till a few weeks ago. A gf who is a yoga teacher swears by her chiro - even saying he shaved time off her labour. I was in so much pain I would have paid someone with a chainsaw to remove my pelvis if it stopped the pain- so I was ready to try anything. I went and for immediate relief. I've been back a few times and am finding the shift in my body way easier to handle. I don't think I need to see him as often as he suggests but I'm happy with what he's done for me. I'm 17 weeks and I laid on my tummy at my visit this week- it felt fine. He has a pillow though for when you need that support. I'm for sure a convert.
  • edited September 2014
    My insurance (state insurance at that) covers 20 visits per year. I even get partial reimbursement for acupuncture, which helped me a lot the times I did it. Maybe it is quack science but if it feels good and doesn't hurt you, why not?
    But, but, but...it can hurt you! It's manipulation of the SPINE! Youch! 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2012/apr/27/chiropractic-manipulation-spine-strokes?guni=Article:in body link

Reputable chiropractic care shouldn't hurt you. The one chiro I saw that left me feeling uneasy/still in pain, I left. People need to use common sense and good judgement when choosing a chiropractor. Not choose the first one they come across. The one I left definitely falls under your chiroquacker definition, he had books all about how terrible vaccines are and spouted about seeing 3 day old babies. Babies and little kids? That turns my stomach a bit.

Eta: I've always been wary if having my neck adjusted. That just freaks me out. After that article I'll definitely continue to steer clear of that. As much as I love my neck being cracked after leaving with a headache I was done. 
  • I have a bit of arthritis in my spine from an old dance injury that went untreated for years, and chiropractic care definitely has helped me a lot. I used to go several times a month (because I literally couldn't move without pain) and after maybe 4-6 months I had improved so much that now I probably go once every 2-3 months.

I'm looking for a good chiro again now, though, since I recently moved. The last guy I went to just asked "where do you have discomfort?" then cracked everything that would crack and sent me on my way, which had me feeling worse the next day.

I agree with pp that during pregnancy it's important to find a good chiro, make sure you feel comfortable. I think it's also helpful for relieving pain, carrying baby weight, and preparing for delivery.
  • I still lie on my stomach at chiro at 21 weeks. He has a middle part that pushes down a little further so the weight is on my legs/chest but he only started using that a few weeks ago.
  • I'm going once a month to a chiro. He said that unless I had more pain or something really bothering me that once a month should be fine. He is specially trained to work with pregnant women and he does use a special table that allows me to temporarily lie on my stomach. He said to tell him if it hurt or made me uncomfortable but I felt fine.
  • I've been treated by chiropractors for years now due to back pain, shoulder tension and headaches. They can definitely help a variety of pain issues but it is important to find the right one for you. I have always been uncomfortable with the ones who try to sign you up to some pre-set schedule or plan that includes multiple visits per week before they even know how your body responds to treatment.

Currently the one I see specializes in ART or active release technique which means he adjusts and treats my muscle tensions instead of just cracking my neck/back etc. I have been very happy with this treatment and am constantly seeing improvements. This works best for me but you have to find what works best for you. My last appointment was at 16 weeks and he did have to lower the stomach part of the table. There have been other changes made in his adjustments as well during the pregnancy.

As for insurance it depends on your healthcare coverage but I believe most chiropractors do accept insurance.
  • I love my chiro but he's out of network! I've tried a few in network and haven't liked any of them! It seems like the ones in my plan are wayyy lower quality. So frustrating.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doula recommends monthly sessions with a prenatal chiropractor starting around 4 mos to help get/keep the baby in proper position for birth.

SpinningBabies.com has some info about the benefits of body work for reducing pain in labor, and exercises to get the baby to move into position.
  • I can totally answer this because I am recently going to a great chiropractor! It has saved my life since I was in a car accident 3 years ago! My neck was messed up and I went a few months after the accident totally fixed my two inches out of place neck! I was getting headaches and my back was messed up. But a few years later here I am pregnant and I've been sleeping so much from being so exhausted that it was just making my neck sore again.
    Here's the thing, when you're pregnant the hormone that is released into your muscles (to stretch that cooch to pop out your baby) is released when all your other hormones are, which means your muscles are easier to move around more flexible and what not that they are when you are not pregnant. So what's that mean? As your belly grows you adjust your body to that of comfortablity to coincide with your growing belly (neck forward belly out back all bent) and even sleeping positions tilting your head every time you sleep, or what you may have it. The repetitiveness of it results in your spine becoming out of place bc the muscles get used to being in said position. SO when your baby pops out, the hormone goes away, and guess what ?! Your spine is all jacked up and your probably gonna be sore at some point bc of the rubbing and what not even if in the long run. So get adjusted through out your pregnancy, go to a good chiro ask around or look up reviews! They have you on your belly until it is uncomfortable for you then obviously they have other way to adjust you like on your side bc they don't want to put pressure on your belly after it starts to get to the point where you can't lay comfortably on your belly. But obviously make sure you tell them you're pregnant :)
  • I go to mine regularly and have since before I was pregnant. I had horrible IBS before getting pregnant and she literally cured me (no joke). She happens to specialize in pregnancy and newborns so I have continued to go to her regularly especially to help with lower back pain.

I am 14 weeks and still lay on my stomach. She said I can do that until I get too big to physically do it.

I suggest that you keep going but maybe find a chiro who specializes in pregnancy and newborns because they know all the special tricks and exercises to help you through all the changes your body will experience at different stages of your pregnancy. I believe it has been a lifesaver and made my symptoms pretty minimal compared to others.
  • @sivcoe I have IBS and some non medicinal relief would be great. But how on earth would chiropractic care cure a gastrointestinal issue? That leaves me scratching my head.
  • I know it sounds NUTS. I was skeptical too. Basically she explained that when your spine is unaligned the neurotransmitters throughout your body that run through your spine end up misfiring because there isn't that clear path to get from one place of the body to the next. There is a chart in her office that shows what area of the spine is connected to what bodily functions so based on your symptoms she can guess which parts of the spine are out of whack. Then she does X-rays to confirm this (and she was right on the money when I saw the xrays) and then she puts together an intensive care plan based on the findings.

I can tell you that within three months I was episode free while on amitryptaline and before that I was having episodes while on the meds. Once I was episode free I was able to get off the meds in two weeks and still had no episodes. I have been symptom free since then and we were also able to conceive right away!

It is definitely worth a shot. My doctor is with Chiro One which is a national chain - so you may want to check if there is one in your area.
  • I have been teaching gymnastics since I was 15.  My neck, shoulders, and back get jacked up from spotting skills.  I'm always super tight, and my upper back tends to spasm or tighten up and it'll take my breath away.  I've been to the chiropractor many times and it always helps.  When I actually have a chiro, he's the first call I make for a migraine too.  I hadn't seen one in quite awhile, and was very sad when I got a migraine on Friday and didn't have one to call!  I found one I had really liked previously and started seeing him again Monday!  This office also has a masseuse that specializes in prenatal massage :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers photo 401ba615-b560-419d-8272-b89fb96034ec.pngphoto sushilovers.png

• It's very healthy to go and the table adjusts to your growing belly. It does not hurt you to be on your belly at chiro even further along 16bweeks u r barely showing Tho. Going regularly helps your immune system, your stretching ligaments, and will give you an easier labor
  • Every system in your body has transmitters that run thru your spine and medians that go laterally sc ross your body as well by keeping your spine in line, everything works smoother. an help w period cramps too. And cures colds. 
  • All Chris tables adjust to your blyth in the middle of the table.even at 9 months you can be of. Belly on it n if u feel any discomfort there are wedges they can use.