Homeschooling
Options

Ug.

Why do bad school days always have to happen when my husband is home and listening? We can have a hundred great days in a row, then he'll sit in on one lesson and it's pure hell. I feel like he must think that C isn't learning anything and I'm the worst teacher ever! I feel like I'm getting less and less homeschooling support from him because of it. :(

I'm not sure what to do about this. We've taken a lot more unschooling method this year, with a lot of free time and reading heavy (focusing on comprehension and fact recall after reading), and of course, math. I feel like he doesn't believe me when I tell him about successful days. I don't know how to show him everything she learned.

How do you get support? DH was only half supportive of homeschooling in the first place. He would rather seems kids to public school with "paid" teachers — even though I have my master's in teaching.
                We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

Re: Ug.

• Options
    Do you think your husband would be more supportive if he were more involved on a consistent basis?  Is there a certain subject in which he has extra experience or passion?  You don't have to do lessons M-F while he is at work.  Perhaps you could start saving history or science or whatever else he seems to be really interested in for the weekends or other times he is home.  I think that if he starts having fun with the teaching and witnessing your DD making the connections and learning, he'll have a better understanding of the benefits of homeschooling.

My DH was also reluctant when we started, but for other reasons.  He was worried more about the social aspect and my kids' ability to play on sports teams.  It just took a year or so of him seeing the kids interact with other children and finding outlets for sports and he was on board.  I actually put DH in charge of some of the things he was worried about (like finding the athletic opportunities) and that made him happy.  Perhaps the same thing would work with your DH.

• Options
    I forgot to add.  We've pretty much moved to unschooling for the most part.  We're doing some formal math lessons and spelling lists, but other than that I've found that ditching the curricula is working much better for my kids.  Even with math, if we have a new concept being introduced in their curricula (we're using Saxon), I'm having better luck setting aside the worksheets and just letting the kids play with manipulatives until they get the idea. 

To be honest, we're using board games as our curricula for a lot right now.  The kids are loving it and are learning way more than they were when we spent our days at the dining room table. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm just so frustrated! It's like we are going only backwards with math. She had mastered subtracting 1-10. But now she's completely forgotten it. Just from not reviewing Saturday and Sunday. We've now has two bad days in a row. We're to the point where we can't just set out aside any longer, she is so far behind grade level in math!

But even worse, even if I did have to send her back to school, she'd STILL be failing math!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"