Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Yes, another sleep issue...

Hi Mommies, Looking for some suggestions on what to do about LO's sleeping habits. LO is just turned 12months and for the past several weeks, he will wake up in the night about 6-8 times for attention. Most of the time he is not crying, but as I watch him in the monitor and leave him to self soothe back to sleep, he will pull himself up to stand in the crib. At this point I go in there and lay him back down, let him drink some milk and then he rolls over back to sleep for another hour or so and then we do it all again. Last week, I let him stand in the crib as I watched so see if he would get himself back to sleep and over half an hour later he is still standing. Being so exhausted, and thinking that he also needs his sleep, I go in there and repeat the process. On the occasions that he doesn't stand himself up in the crib and I watch to see him self soothe, again, after 30 minutes or so, he then begins to cry. I believe this started one night where he woke in a night terror and I held him in the rocker back to sleep. At that moment, I loved holding him and watching him sleep and just took in that moment as he is growing so fast. These special moments has happened a few times and I just wonder if I've created a bad habit. But with the sleep, it is becoming exhausting and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. We have the quiet time, bath, massage routine. We've tried the soother which he never did take and still won't. He's beginning to be a bit of a fussy eater, so I'm not sure if he's taking in enough calories or not of if this would even be an issue. We are so close to contacting a sleep consultant and even though she is pricey, I'm afraid that she is just going to reveal something so simple to solve the problem. I've read so many books out there on sleep except for " the sleep lady shuffle" Any mommies out there experience similar? Open to suggestions. TIA

Re: Yes, another sleep issue...

• Options
    If he is standing in his crib but not crying then why are you going in?  I assume he knows how to get back to laying down if he wants.  I wouldn't go in if he wasn't crying I'd just leave him to figure it out on his own.  Eventually he'll get bored and go back to sleep.  If he's crying I'd go in and lay him down and rub his back and then leave again.  And I definitely would not give him milk for any reason. 

I get that you're tired but I'm not sure this justifies a trip to a sleep consultant.  It sounds like a normal phase that kids go through.  Is he learning a new skill?  Sometimes that throws sleep off.  Honestly, if it were me I'd turn off the monitor and go back to sleep.  
  • Options
    agreed....turn off the monitor and stop going in there.  I only turn mine on to check in but DD's bedroom is right across from ours so I can hear her if she cries.  
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    stop looking at monitor and stop bringing him milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Is he walking, or just starting to? Sometimes their little brains get so excited about a new skill that they practice in the night.  DS2 has learned some new words lately and, sure enough, he's been practicing talking in the middle of the night.  Sometimes for a few hours.  I don't go in unless he's crying (not just fussing but crying).

He just started STTN last month.  We finally got there after I night weaned him.  I've never let him cry it out.  I suggest the book, The No Cry Sleep Solution. She has good suggestions on how to eliminate "bad habits." For us, it meant only one night feed for a while.  Then I made that feed shorter and shorter. Finally, I sent my husband in to soothe and I didn't go at all.  He learned there was no more in the night.

I know what you mean about saying goodbye to the night comforting.  They do grow fast and really, this time is short lived. So you have to decide if you are ready to make changes and how badly you want more sleep.  I still breastfeed morning and before bed and that time is special. I certainly don't miss night feedings.  Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I will try and just let him be tonight. Monitor is gonna be shut off. I know it may take a few nights for him to get used to us not going in there. I've heard of other moms having monitors calling them both a blessing and a curse and now I understand why! Now I just shake my head at the "bad habit" or accidental parenting I've created. I guess I kept going in there to lay him down thinking to myself that he needs his sleep.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I will try and just let him be tonight. Monitor is gonna be shut off. I know it may take a few nights for him to get used to us not going in there. I've heard of other moms having monitors calling them both a blessing and a curse and now I understand why! Now I just shake my head at the "bad habit" or accidental parenting I've created. I guess I kept going in there to lay him down thinking to myself that he needs his sleep.
    He does need to sleep but you can't make him.  Kids go through phases like this all of the time and all you can do is sort of wait it out and interfere as little as possible.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"