March 2014 Moms
Options

Teeth and breath holding question

Hey mamas.. A couple different questions.
My son has 2 teeth on the bottom and I just noticed today that they are black/grey on the back and also a little black/grey streak on the fronts. I googled and was finding it could be from iron in formula. Anyone experience this?? I have brushed and tried wiping with a cloth and it won't come off. He never goes to bed with a bottle and has never had juice. It doesn't look like rot, definitely more like a stain.
Next question is sometimes at night when he is drinking his bottle he will wait awhile to take his next breath. He will fall asleep (but still drinking) and then I will notice he hasn't taken a breath in so I will wiggle the bottle a little and then sometimes it's simple for him to get the breath and sometimes it takes a few seconds and he gets a little panicky. It doesn't happen everyday and it's only when he has his bottle and gets sleepy. I have always thought it was normal (even tho it's a little scary) but at what age is it not normal? I am going to put a call into the dr tomorrow regarding these things but it's always nice to get fellow mamas opinions. Thanks.

Re: Teeth and breath holding question

• Options
    jjt616jjt616 member
    edited September 2014
    About the black teeth thing, my DD (who is two) had black stains on the back of her two front bottom teeth. I took her to the dentist and they were able to clean it off. The dental hygienist said that some peoples salivas chemical make up will cause black plaque. The bottom teeth get black because the saliva pools in the bottom teeth.

• Options
    Ok. Yea I was thinking I probably had to go to the dentist to get it off. Thank you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah I didn't even think of plaque at first, I thought her teeth were rotting.

• Options
    Hygienist here.
    We call it Black line stain. I see many young children with this. It does come off usually with an instrument or a coarse paste. But, I have never had someone bring in their 6 mo old for removal. I'm not sure how that would work. I guess if it's a super cooperative baby?!
    :-S
  • Options
    I agree @Kbhunter‌ I called his pediatrician and they said to take him to the pediatric dentist. I am willing to have them check just to make doubly sure that that is what it is and nothing more serious. If they want to remove it tho... That could get interesting!! We will see. Thank you for your insight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"