Multiples

What kind of car should I get?

I would like to avoid the minivan unless we have a third child down the road (FTM here expecting twins) but I have heard that even some suvs don't fit two rear facing car seats! Recommendations please! I have an elantra now so will definitely be getting something bigger!
Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

Re: What kind of car should I get?

• We got a Mazda 5
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a murano with 1 kid but it could've worked for 2. It's a 5 seater so if potentially you want 3 kids I would just get something with a third row now.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the BMW x5 and we have no problem fitting.  It is not a big SUV so my husband is a little uncomfortable when driving because he cannot push his seat all the way back.

I do wish we had a car with a 3rd row for when we want to drive someone else.  But you definitely don't need a minivan!!

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • I would advise getting an infant car seat & checking it in every vehicle you try out. We purchased a 3rd row pathfinder a year ago thinking what a perfect family vehicle. We were very surprised to learn that because of the angle of the seat a car seat will not fit behind the drivers seat with my hubby driving. They will both fit if we put them in middle & behind passenger. Note the passenger will not be comfortable as the seat has to be so far up you are an inch from the glove box & seat must not be angled for comfort. Had we known this we would not have purchased a pathfinder. I will be getting a honda odyssey just for room & comfort. Look into suburu outbacks & ford edges as they both have tons of leg room. Hope this helps!
  • We have a Prius. It fits two rear facing carseats. You don't have to have an SUV just because you have twins.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have a Kia Sorento I have one booster seat and i'm adding two infant seats, its a 5 passenger but has the option to add a 3rd row(it adds 2 more seats) which I might do if the kids start to get  cramped.   
  • I got a brand new Explorer Limited when I was 24 weeks pregnant with the twins. We bought it with the intention of it being the family car for ~10 years. We got captain seats in the middle, blind spot alert, gps, 4 w d, etc. I do love it.

BUT....I wish I had gotten a minivan!!! I will keep my kids rear facing as long as possible. Their car seats are so huge that no one can even access the 3rd row b/c the of the car seats. When my niece/nephew get in the 3rd row, they climb in and out of the trunk. I have a luggage rack on the roof. We've gone on vacation twice with the twins and we never have enough space for everything we need for a family of four.

My double stroller takes up most of the trunk space even when the 3rd row is folded down. I pile groceries on top of the stroller.

Get the minivan!!!

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• You guys are awesome. I am so torn now tho! @jordangilliam‌ I will def be taking an infant car seat with us when we go shopping that's a great idea thanks! And I can't believe the pathfinder is a tight fit!! Craziness.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • I wouldn't worry about it too much, you just may have to be more aware of the type of seat you get. Britax is known to be huge, Dionos are slim but long. There are a ton of different seats out there, so you just have to pickier about the ones you choose.

You def don't need a giant SUV w twins. We have a Subaru Forester that would have easily fit 2 RF seats. We have a big one, so fitting 3 across changed the game for us.

I'm not into minivans at all. Our other car is an Acura MDX. It's a big car, but it has lots of hip room. I wouldn't have gone that big w only 2 kids.

• I'm team minivan. I have an odyssey and love it. I can just push the buttons on the key fob and have all the doors I need opened. But, I also have three kids.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
    edited September 2014
    If it's going to be a long term car I would get one with a 3rd row of seating. It's so useful at times, not just to drive people but also the extra space on road trips and such. We have an Audi Q7 and an Infinity 50Xs. The difference in the two with car seats is vast. You don't need a third row but it sure makes life easier. When I was pregnant I had an Infinity EX35 and 2 weeks before the twins were born we realized the car seats didn't fit in the car, the twin stroller didn't fit in the back either. We ended up buying the Audi when the babies were a few days old.

imageimageimage
  • FYI- I did not want a minivan at all when I was pregnant but I wish I would have gotten one too.

imageimageimage
  • Two rear facing infant seats fit in my tiny Honda Fit just fine. My problem is I need something else to include my Four year old's seat as well. My DH has a Toyota Highlander which will work fine at first for when we need to take all three kids about until we can find a way for me to get something else. I want either a Highlander or Odessy.... I don't really want a minivan, but I may have to swallow my pride as it is probably the correct way to go.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • We have a honda pilot which fits 2 seats nicely. There are 3 latch positions in the second row as well if you need to add a third, although it would limit use of the third row. Right now we have plenty of room for everything but we are having another baby so it will be tight I think after that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just bought the honda odyssey (i was never a minivan kind of person) and have had it for about a month now- I can't say enough good things about it- the space for carseats is amazing, the storage is huge and i now have plenty of room for anything i could think of. it drives well and gas mileage is great.
  • We are about to become a family of 8 and looking at the Honda Pilot.  It seats 8 and has great room and you can fold down the third row of seats if you want. 
  • I love our Prius and it could easily fit 2 large rear facing car seats. Also rumor is that in 2016 the PriusV here will be the 7 seater they have in Japan and Europe.

I don't do minivans. That being said, we have an almost 3 year old (still rear facing and plan to keep her that way) and twins due in the spring. So I caved and after trying the a Toyota Highlander we also tried the Toyota Sienna.

Hell no. Way too big. Could fit a queen bed I the back and DH and I would never be able to hold hands while driving.

Since we're moving back to the UK we decided to just wait and buy a 7 seater there that is more the size of a station wagon. If we were staying here I'd choose the Highlander or Mazda5 with the 6 seats. A good friend has the Mazda and loves it (it's a micro van, not much bigger than our Prius).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"